The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

BMR Front Cross member for dedicated track day car

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've been looking at the BMR front K member replacement for the stock front cross member on my 2011 GT track day car. The inticement is the 20 Lb. weight saving and easier access for headers and pan removal. My concern is the loss of torsional stiffness in the front end due to the design of the K member. There is only a single tube connecting the left and right sides of the cross member. It was primarily designed for weight reduction in drag racing Does anyone have any experience using this cross member on a track day car?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I've been looking at the BMR front K member replacement for the stock front cross member on my 2011 GT track day car. The inticement is the 20 Lb. weight saving and easier access for headers and pan removal. My concern is the loss of torsional stiffness in the front end due to the design of the K member. There is only a single tube connecting the left and right sides of the cross member. It was primarily designed for weight reduction in drag racing Does anyone have any experience using this cross member on a track day car?
These are drag race parts, too light weight for track duty.
They flex an unacceptable amount under track use, there have been loads of failures.
For track use go to Cortex or MM has one out now for the s197.
The MM unit is not lighter than the stock unit but affords much more clearance for headers etc. under the car.
Cortex is the best choice by far and is a more complete package necessitating the use of their control arms while the MM one uses stock arms.

Last edited:
These are drag race parts, too light weight for track duty.
They flex an unacceptable amount under track use, there have been loads of failures.
For track use go to Cortex or MM has one out now for the s197.
The MM unit is not lighter than the stock unit but affords much more clearance for headers etc. under the car.
Cortex is the best choice by far and is a more complete package necessitating the use of their control arms while the MM one uses stock arms.
Thanks for the feedback. I just noticed you are from Pleasanton. I remember it well. I spent many years autocrossing at the Fairgrounds

I wasn't aware Cortex even sold one without the 8k SLA setup. Must be one of their secret items :)

I did the MM and it is great. They also are struggling with lead times, mine took 4 months to come in from them (delay was expected)

DaveW

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
I wasn't aware Cortex even sold one without the 8k SLA setup. Must be one of their secret items :)

I did the MM and it is great. They also are struggling with lead times, mine took 4 months to come in from them (delay was expected)

DaveW
It was on their secret menu for a while but you can search for it on their revised site now.

Cortex Front Suspension

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel