The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Bonneville Salt Flats

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Washington
My brother recommended I bring my project to this forum to look for some insight. My current project is a 2005 Mustang GT, Livernois short block and stage 3 heads. Engine is now a 5.0L (up from 4.6 but still a 3V) with 9.5:1 compression and stage three cams from MMR. I will be running an 80mm turbo with a 1.01 AR (I believe, but will have to double check). Plan is to run the car at 26 lbs of boost for, hopefully, 1200+ HP. I will be using a Holley Dominator EFI system with their Race Dash. Transmission will be a T-56 Magnum XL that’s been cryo treated for added strength. I talked with KB Performance and will be running their suspension setup. Things I still need to figure out are the rear end (especially keeping it cooled), brakes, aero and roll cage. The plan is to do 250+mph if the Salt is open next year... I have quite a bit of work to do and definitely need some input. Probably mostly with aero... Without enough downforce the S197 can attempt flight at those speeds, so a balance is what I need. Too much it’ll slow me down, too little and I’m toast. I’m all for any input anyone has, especially anyone that’s taken these things to over 200 mph. The bumpy salt will require a good suspension setup, so I figured I would bite the bullet and go with a remote reservoir shock and a well balanced suspension setup. After the Salt Flats the car may take a trip to the Texas Mile. Thoughts and advice are welcome! So far JPC, Livernois, Tremec and KB are the places I’ve shopped at. No one is sponsoring the car so I am, at this point, free to shop anywhere someone may suggest. Thanks in advance!!!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
Definitely the place to ask questions for suspension and brake setup. Can you post some pictures of the car? Rick might know some members that could offer you some good advice @VoodooBoss

Rick, this is my brother posting this by the way.

Adam

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Washington
Definitely the place to ask questions for suspension and brake setup. Can you post some pictures of the car? Rick might know some members that could offer you some good advice @VoodooBoss

Rick, this is my brother posting this by the way.

Adam
I will have to hunt for some pics. Car is at the body shop at the moment for some love before getting started.

Was digging through my SCTA rulebook, I had always wanted to run the salt myself. The safety regulations are extremely rigorous since you can't stage firetrucks or ems equipment too close to the track, the qualifying aspects are very in depth as well.
In any case, most of the guys I talked to ran little or no aero in order to get their top speed. What they did do is add a ton of weight, especially over the rear wheels for traction. Weight doesn't seem to be much of a problem since there are several miles of run up until you get to the speed traps.
I'm not an expert on this but I have been looking into this for awhile. The SCTA guys are very helpful and I'm sure you can find some production based car guy with real.experience to help you.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel