The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Boone's BBB '05 GT Optima & CAM Build Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I have a box of goodies coming my way, and... BAM!!! The train goes off the tracks... literally. My delivery is delayed due to a train derailment in Georgia. I just hope none of the contents were damaged, or I'm going to be in for a long fight. FedEx Freight tells me it's just a delay, but I've got my fingers crossed.
At least you know it was packaged properly, and good thing too.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Absolutely. Good folks with a lot of knowledge on TMO. I was perusing an old forum for information the other day, and all I could find were narrow minded arguments. I really appreciate the members and mods on TMO.

Yea....I have done this in the past. Always amazed how people on other forums prove there are more horses asses in the world than horses.

Boone

Professional Thread Killer
So I'm scheduled to run Sebring this weekend, and my car starts trailing white smoke 100 yards from my house after filling up the tank. Car shuts off. And I coast it to my driveway. The catch can, throttle body, and intake are full of coolant. I assume that's a head gasket, and the electric water pump is pushing coolant any place it will go. I pray I didn't hydro lock my motor.

I winched the car into the trailer, and I'm heading to my builder tomorrow rather than Florida. I must say I'm a bit perturbed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
Damn man, sorry to hear. The worst part is that you were just driving from your house...I hope it's something that's fairly easy to remedy.

Boone

Could be a cracked head. Could be my builder installed my heads on the motor without checking them with a straight edge. Can't see how high dollar 94mm Cometix gaskets failed on a NA motor at idle.

We'll find out in the next week. I do know where two separate sets of 3V heads are located. Just need to get into the teardown to figure out what I need.

Bummer. Good luck on the repairs.

Boone

Luckily, Fabman has me covered. I should have purchased his stuff earlier. I could have had my heads rebuilt for spares. As it is, mine will only be good for future beer cans, so I've got that going for me... which is nice.

My motor will be Young Frankenstang when I'm through.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca

Boone

Update: I had an exhaust valve break into pieces. A missing piece of the valve stem was found in my long tube headers. A little damage inside a cylinder may as well be a lot of damage because the remedy is the same. Long story short, a new piston is on order, and the block is in line at the machinist to get a sleeve so I don't have mismatched piston sizes. Basically, a total rebuild.

The root cause is unclear as to what happened first. Either the valve seat came loose, the head cracked, or the valve stem broke. The result was pieces of the valve bouncing around in the cylinder, and the valve head taking out a chunk of the head to expose the cooling passage. Then, the 55gpm electric coolant pump dispersed coolant everywhere until the ignition switch was turned off. Basically in a few seconds, all of the coolant in the car was all over the car.

We'll have power levels in the 2020 GT500 level when we get through this, which is what keeps me going. Well, that and getting "likes" from you guys. :confused:

TMO Supporting Vendors