The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 3V Boone's BBB '05 GT Optima & CAM Build Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boone

Professional Thread Killer
Glad to hear that. It makes me feel like I'm not just throwing money in the air. The cool thing about the AFD Pro Commander system is it not only monitors, but adjusts the fuel delivery for the total energy content available in the the fuel that is actually in the rails in real time. We'll, there is a slight lag since it is in the return side of the system, but better than anything else I've come across.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Glad to hear that. It makes me feel like I'm not just throwing money in the air. The cool thing about the AFD Pro Commander system is it not only monitors, but adjusts the fuel delivery for the total energy content available in the the fuel that is actually in the rails in real time. We'll, there is a slight lag since it is in the return side of the system, but better than anything else I've come across.
That would have come in handy as I could never get too far from home without bringing fuel jugs in the trunk.
Going on club cruises just wasn't working out.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
My Coyote F-150 was flex fuel so I could burn up all the sub par e85 but my Turbo Tremor is not....and I miss that.

Boone

Update. My motor build stalled because Cometic sent two 94mm gaskets for the same side of the motor. Delivery quotes to my builder for the missing gasket were coming in at 8 weeks, but I located the missing one with a 3 day delivery at Auto Zone of all places, and I drove the 3 hour round trip to drop the gasket off. Unfortunately, this got me out of line, and they are working me back in.

In other news, I have committed to purchase a T56 Magnum XL with 2.97 first gear. I plan on keeping my 3.55 final drive so I don't run out of room in 4th at VIR (155 mph at 7000 rpm). This will give me a little more punch in 3rd gear than the TR3650, and that will be nice in those moderate speed turns that cycle from 60 to 100mph. The shorter 2nd gear will also give me a little more punch in the slower autocross turns while still allowing me to hit 70+ mph (the theoretical autocross course design max speed). I'll run for a while with the TR 3650, but I'll swap over to the beefier unit someday. It will be nice to have a spare tranny that will handle 700 ft lb in the wings. Also, I checked with McLeod, and they can modify my 10 spline RXT to a 26 spline for $100, or they can do a complete rebuild for $500.

Turns out 2020 only sucks if you're Kyle Busch.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
On the Boss50 engine block, it just bolts right on. I can't confirm the same is true on the 4.6 aluminum block, but since that just bolts right on as well... The included windage tray worked perfectly with my 3.75 stroker crank, also.
Yes the pans will all bolt on, the difference is the oil pumps are not all the same so some of the pickups are different IIRC.

Boone

Yes the pans will all bolt on, the difference is the oil pumps are not all the same so some of the pickups are different IIRC.
I think the pan kit from FoMoCo comes with a pickup. I instructed my builder to use the new one even if they appeared to be identical. Didn't want to chance an oil starvation issue. If I were more of a mechanic and less of an engineer, I'd have a more definitive answer.

I do have a trick dipstick that this dipstick picked up from some other dipstick.🤣

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I think the pan kit from FoMoCo comes with a pickup. I instructed my builder to use the new one even if they appeared to be identical. Didn't want to chance an oil starvation issue. If I were more of a mechanic and less of an engineer, I'd have a more definitive answer.

I do have a trick dipstick that this dipstick picked up from some other dipstick.🤣
Hey, I resemble that remark...

I believe it was hole #5 that let loose. I still have the heads in my shop, so I can double check if you'd like.

That's ok. As long as it wasn't 1-4! haha. I have a little more noise in bank one than I care for and just before I went to bed last night I remembered you had a valve give up the ghost. I was ruling out the thought that maybe bank one's cam had a slight ramping issue on one of the lobes and ultimately would be adding undue pressure to one of the valve springs, etc.. (For those without back story, I have his good set of previous NA cams.) Is what it is of course, but I was just checking. Brain is always ticking..

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
It's ALIVE!!!!! Going to break it in on 93 octane, then switch over to e85. I scheduled for pick up for 5/26/21.
Yeah baby!

TMO Supporting Vendors