The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Borla or Roush Axle-Back Exhaust

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I would recommend finding someone nearby, youtube CANNOT do any exhaust justice. Even the clips on Borla don't do them justice. Most vids are taken with crappy phone cameras, or just consumer video cameras that really don't get the sound right it seems. Plus your own speakers/sound card might also become a factor. You can hear a difference from stock to whatever AB in the vids, but it still sounds nothing like in person.

I have Roush ABs with the baffles deleted. Here is a vid at WOT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H98EYnKYLA

WinterSucks said:
I would recommend finding someone nearby, youtube CANNOT do any exhaust justice. Even the clips on Borla don't do them justice. Most vids are taken with crappy phone cameras, or just consumer video cameras that really don't get the sound right it seems. Plus your own speakers/sound card might also become a factor. You can hear a difference from stock to whatever AB in the vids, but it still sounds nothing like in person.

I have Roush ABs with the baffles deleted. Here is a vid at WOT:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H98EYnKYLA

Sweet vid.

Yes they are loud on start up but just blip the throttle. If there is drone it must be small as to not bother me. Plus you will save at least 15-20 lb

Cjmclean31 said:
Yes they are loud on start up but just blip the throttle. If there is drone it must be small as to not bother me. Plus you will save at least 15-20 lb

It definitely felt like they were half the weight of the stock ABs. I would just caution about blipping the throttle to bring the rpms down when the engine it trying to warm up. Almost every time I do that and try to drive too soon I get a sudden surge. The first time it happened I had to check my underwear afterwards since there were pedestrians right front of me... Of course I got both feet in immediately(in MA that is a quickly learned reflex) and the surge was only half a second, but unintended acceleration is still scary in a 444hp car! Plus I looked like an idiot trying to intimidate pedestrians.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Late to the party here but +1 for ROUSH! Track videos w/ Roush exhaust plus open sidepipes in my signature below (with the exception of Track Attack video).

There is a drone at light throttle around 55-60mph in 6th; you can drive around it or go down a gear. I've had these on my car since the first night I had it (about 18 months) and I never get tired of how good they sound. Not to mention the price is much more reasonable than most other options.

ArizonaGT said:
Late to the party here but +1 for ROUSH! Track videos w/ Roush exhaust plus open sidepipes in my signature below (with the exception of Track Attack video).

There is a drone at light throttle around 55-60mph in 6th; you can drive around it or go down a gear. I've had these on my car since the first night I had it (about 18 months) and I never get tired of how good they sound. Not to mention the price is much more reasonable than most other options.

Thanks for all of the input. I ordered the Roush today and they will be at my doorstep tomorrow. I read so much on line and Roush always seemed to have the edge over the others. I do like the Borlas so maybe another time. This time it is Roush.

I run Corsa Extremes on my 12 Boss, however, as part of my "Rotate the Axleback Every Quarter" program I created, I ordered Roush Extremes from Stage3Motorsports ----- 7% off exhaust this month. $437.09 shipped to my door.

2011-2013 Mustang GT / GT500 5.0L Roush Axle-Back Exhaust System

BossTXB said:
I run Corsa Extremes on my 12 Boss, however, as part of my "Rotate the Axleback Every Quarter" program I created, I ordered Roush Extremes from Stage3Motorsports ----- 7% off exhaust this month. $437.09 shipped to my door.

Never thought of doing a quarterly swap of the exhaust to have a different sound. May have to look into that. Or swap every six months.

BossTXB said:

I like this program! Now, how to get this past my wife...

BossTXB said:

I too like this quarterly plan...thanks for the sale tip!

Really thinking of picking up a set of the Roush's while they are on sell. Saw they have a blak tip version too. Trying to decide if I'd like that better than chrome on my grabber blue? Undecided...

I ordered the chrome. I figured I could always get the Black Tips later as these are separate. Also, I don't know if the black would stay on ------- but they do look good in the video.....

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Should take about an hour. Grab some WD-40 or soapy water to spray on the exhaust hangers to make them easier to slide out of the rubber bushings; same thing for the new Roush ones going in.

You may have to loosen the midpipes at the H-pipe connection point to slide them forward enough for clearance.

ArizonaGT said:
Should take about an hour. Grab some WD-40 or soapy water to spray on the exhaust hangers to make them easier to slide out of the rubber bushings; same thing for the new Roush ones going in.

You may have to loosen the midpipes at the H-pipe connection point to slide them forward enough for clearance.

Thanks

The only issue I have with the Roush is it's hard to get water out of them. I took them off my GT because the dealer didn't want them when I traded it in for the Boss. I noticed there was at least a few ounces of water in each, and it took a looong time to get it out. I forgot to remove them and bring them inside this winter where they could dry out... I am just a little worried about rust on the inside. Maybe if I stick a string inside and leave it hanging it will wick out the water? Or am I better off just drilling a tiny drain hole that will eventually rust and get bigger anyways?

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I've seen at least one post where someone drilled a 1/8" drain hole in the bottom of each muffler "can" to help evacuate water. I won't be doing this one mine, although I live in AZ, so....

TMO Supporting Vendors