The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Borla or Roush Axle-Back Exhaust

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WinterSucks said:
The only issue I have with the Roush is it's hard to get water out of them. I took them off my GT because the dealer didn't want them when I traded it in for the Boss. I noticed there was at least a few ounces of water in each, and it took a looong time to get it out. I forgot to remove them and bring them inside this winter where they could dry out... I am just a little worried about rust on the inside. Maybe if I stick a string inside and leave it hanging it will wick out the water? Or am I better off just drilling a tiny drain hole that will eventually rust and get bigger anyways?

I read this problem has been corrected by Roush.

knappj69 said:
I read this problem has been corrected by Roush.
I was told to drill a hole 3" from the rear on the bottom of mine to get the water out. I purchased mine in late 2011 so I dont know if they changed them or not, but the hole did solve the problem.

I have the Roush and the side full open. They sound great. Like people said I have sometimes light drone when going 60mph in 6th. Usually when the road is going uphill,
For the water inside, they got a little hole on near the tip. Purchased them on September 2012

Swiss Boss said:
I have the Roush and the side full open. They sound great. Like people said I have sometimes light drone when going 60mph in 6th. Usually when the road is going uphill,
For the water inside, they got a little hole on near the tip. Purchased them on September 2012

I am not really to concerned about the water as I drive my truck if it is raining. I drive my Boss only on days I know will be nice. Yes I know, I am one of those guys.

knappj69 said:
I am not really to concerned about the water as I drive my truck if it is raining. I drive my Boss only on days I know will be nice. Yes I know, I am one of those guys.
I know what you mean, I'm also one of them :D

The little hole (~2mm)come directly from the factory I didn't have to drill anything. I wouldn't notice it if some people weren't talking about drilling one. I don't remember if it's close to the R or the H.

Swiss Boss said:
I know what you mean, I'm also one of them :D

The little hole (~2mm)come directly from the factory I didn't have to drill anything. I wouldn't notice it if some people weren't talking about drilling one. I don't remember if it's close to the R or the H.

My box arrived today and I will open it in a few to see if it has holes.

I bought mine around August 2011 and I know it does not have a drain hole.

knappj69 said:

I am not convinced the water got in from rain. It could have collected in there from condensation, moisture in the fuel, etc... And during normal driving my mufflers never get hot enough to evaporate it, so it just collects. The baffling makes it hard to just shake out, too. I will have to drill a hole and hope it doesn't rust out. I already have some surface rust in spots, but nothing that is visible.

Rotation began today ----- Corsa Extremes off, Roush Extremes on. I gotta tell you ------ Roush Extremes are really awesome. I love the look of the cans too. Absolutely awesome aggressive sound.

RoushExtreme_zpsa8fda447.png

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Our exhaust can produce a lot of water vapor on start up. I imagine the effect varies depending upon humidity and air temp.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqKA6gGDxvA[/youtube]

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
BossTXB said:
Rotation began today ----- Corsa Extremes off, Roush Extremes on. I gotta tell you ------ Roush Extremes are really awesome. I love the look of the cans too. Absolutely awesome aggressive sound.

FTidZny.gif

The water isn't from the rain. Your cats turn harmfull gases into water, thats what they do and why most exhaust is stainless now or it would be a puddle of rust in your driveway in a few months. Pretty much all new exhaust systems come with drain holes to allow the water to escape.

BossTXB said:

+1. ArizonaGT, helped convince me to go with the Roush. I'm totally satisfied. You think you will switch next quarter??

Boss949 said:
+1. ArizonaGT, helped convince me to go with the Roush. I'm totally satisfied. You think you will switch next quarter??
Boss949, you were part of the reason I wanted to try the Roush Extremes. Saw your video but also wanted to try and hear them in person. I was going to contact you and try to meet you(I am over near Mckinney, Texas; I think you are over in Southlake, Texas?) but I just took the plunge. Now, mind you, I still love my Corsa Extremes and think they fit the Boss in many ways. But am really really enjoying these Roush Extremes.

Next up: Flowmaster Outlaws

I have had the Roush axle backs on for about 4 days now and love the sound. I started my Boss when I was leaving Safeway and many people stopped and stared. Then watched me drive away. I made the right choice. It is 25 degrees out but I drive with the windows down so I can hear them. Heater blasting of course.

BossTXB said:
Boss949, you were part of the reason I wanted to try the Roush Extremes. Saw your video but also wanted to try and hear them in person. I was going to contact you and try to meet you(I am over near Mckinney, Texas; I think you are over in Southlake, Texas?) but I just took the plunge. Now, mind you, I still love my Corsa Extremes and think they fit the Boss in many ways. But am really really enjoying these Roush Extremes.

Next up: Flowmaster Outlaws
I haven't been on the Boss Forums for a couple of weeks; been busy buying and modding my wife's new F150 Platinum 4X4 5.0.

Yes, I'm in Southlake area. Just PM me. You will enjoy the Roush, seem to get louder with age.
We are going to do a car show in the spring at our church, so keep that in mind also....

I know everyone has their own opinion. But, I listened to all the videos out there before I purchased my axle back exhaust. And it's hard to get a good sense of what it sounds like in person, until you hear it on the car itself. But, for the tone, fit, craftmanship and weight savings I don't think you can go wrong with either Roush or Borla, I just don't like the way they stick out of the rear of the car. So I personally went with Corsa Extremes and could'nt be happier.. Just my .02

TMO Supporting Vendors