The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss #1224 Delivered

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
After tracking my car in the build thread just about every day since it was produced on June 7th, I knew that I was close to finally getting mine. My wife's took 25 days to arrive in 2010, so I was hoping mine would take about the same time. I had been emailing my dealer regularly, and they knew I was dying to get my hands on it. So the morning of July 3rd I email them and tell them that I know my car is at the rail yard and is just waiting on a truck, and to call me. Sitting at my desk at home 'working' (delayed my full week vacation so I could have the maximum amount of time with the car paid off as I won't have to go back to work until next Wed.) I was surprised when I got an email from the dealer saying 'it's here', along with 3 pictures.

DSC02216.jpg
DSC02217.jpg

So I call the credit union where my wife got her loan, and I had already filled out the loan application, but not submitted it yet. Then I get the bad news that as it's already late in the day, AND just before the July 4th holiday, that there's no way to get approval today so it would be Thu at the earliest. :mad:

Well screw that, I call the dealer back and asked what rate they could get me today. They had previously told me they couldn't beat the 1.74 % I had been quoted, so I asked what they could do RIGHT NOW. They said they could do 2.24, which only came out to $8 more a month, made that decision in a nano-second. ;D Also turns out their bank has a lower loan fee, which was around $200 cheaper than my credit union with the lower rate. Just goes to show you that when you shop around you need to compare the total cost of everything when calculating your net cost. I know I can always go through the hassle of refinancing if I want, but with rates being so low now it's probably not worth the bother.

Just had time yesterday to get it washed, clay barred, and a 1 coat of Z2 & Z6 before it got dark and went on a quick cruise to Hampton Beach with the wife. Now I'm off to start putting on the layers of polish, I am looking forward to getting a workout. I will post again with first impressions and a full photo spread when it's ready. Sorry for the low light pix, I was just able to beat the night time 'dew effect' that plays hell with wax removal.

IMG_1923.jpg
IMG_1928.jpg
IMG_1927.jpg

IMG_1926.jpg
IMG_1935.jpg
IMG_1934.jpg
IMG_1933.jpg
IMG_1932.jpg
IMG_1936.jpg
IMG_1947.jpg
IMG_1940.jpg
IMG_1938.jpg
IMG_1946.jpg

Great news, for a while I thought you would have a Boss break down! Let us hear about your thoughts on your new Boss. This red is a eye catcher. Are you taking a vacation to install all of the mods?

Congrats! Mine is supposed to be here on July 11th its in Ohio right now shipping via CSX then Convoy to the dealer. I hope it comes in on time, because July 18th I am going to wedding and won't be back till the 23rd...

I hope I can get a APR Rate that low... that would be great!

BTW, mine is RR too!

ace72ace

KYBOSSLS said:
Great news, for a while I thought you would have a Boss break down! Let us hear about your thoughts on your new Boss. This red is a eye catcher. Are you taking a vacation to install all of the mods?

I decided to plan on the week of the 4th as vacation because Monday was my birthday (that's where the 72 comes from in the nickname), and Wed was the holiday. So when it looked like it my car would come in later in the week, I was able work until yesterday afternoon and slide those days off over into next week. Since we weren't throwing our annual July 4th cookout due to hosting my 18yo H.S. graduation party on 6/30, we have no plans other than to hang out and do fun stuff with my younger sons. Luckily that now includes the Boss.

I have 2 neighbors that are master mechanics with all the tools & compressor, etc. so we'll install the shifter, drive shaft, mufflers, brake & clutch lines in one afternoon. I will get to the hood struts first and drop in the K&N filter as soon as I get a few more layers of Zaino down. Perhaps I'll do the struts between the final few coats.

Here are bunch of my first impressions, largely comparing the new '13 Boss to my wife's '11 6spd GT.

Visual appeal - I really like the Shelby style front end plus the hood vents. Throw in the new HIDs and LEDs up front, as well as the new LED tail lights, awesome. Can't say enough on the cool factor of the reflective stripes too, stunning visual effect day or night.

Sound - The new engine positively growls and snarls versus the wife's GT, both on rev and idle. My mechanic buddies noticed the distinctive camshaft profile of the boss on idle. While driving, the quad exhaust creates such a distinctive sound and visceral thrill when you romp on the gas. I heard that Ford spent a lot of time in R&D creating the unique sound for the Boss, and it shows. I can't wait to pop in the 3/4" disks and GT500 mufflers.

Interior ergonomics - I really love the Recaros, but I can see why they might not be for everyone. You really need to develop your own technique for entry and egress so that you don't prematurely wear the thigh bolsters. I like the height adjustable drivers seat, too bad the passenger side doesn't offer the same adjustment. The high back design is nice, but a side effect of them is that it muffles the sound of the rear speakers during those RARE TIMES when listening to the stereo instead of the engine.

Speaking of the stereo, I'm mildly surprised that it doesn't sound half bad. I already have 2 pairs of JL Audio coaxials to install, but I think Ford improved the insanely cheap and nasty stock 6x8 with a new component style speaker for the front doors. I might put the 2nd pair up for sale if they don't fit the stock opening in the front doors, but they guaranteed fit the rear deck. If you adjust the bass and treble just right you can actually hear distinct highs and mid-range. Bass remains muddy as expected... Was also pleased that the stock head unit also has adjustment for auto speed sensitive volume control as does my wife's car with the upgraded Nav head unit.

Acceleration & Handling - I will echo what others have said in that this thing pulls like a freight train, and will push you back in your seat and chirp the tires all day long. The engine just begs to be pushed, I can see why some people only average 14 mpg :D I have just over 100 miles on it, so I'm not going to drive it too hard until it's properly broken in as per the instructions from Ford. Now that doesn't mean the occasional high rev shift here and there, but I can see how this thing was designed as the perfect track weapon. With the limited miles, I haven't had an opportunity to put it through any serious twisty roads, but I did take the long on ramp to Rt 101 last night at around 50 and had the wife grabbing for the arm rest when I nailed it in 4th and then slowed down into 5th as I merged into traffic.

Wow Factor - AKA 'The Boss Effect' The stories reported here and on other sites aren't fiction, they are real. Here's a copy/paste from a post reply I did this morning over on TMS responding in another thread;

Just picked up my Boss last night. After giving the kids a quick ride it was time to get it washed as it was dirty since I told the dealer to NOT touch it. Didn't need some noob swirling up the paint.

Anyways, I get it washed and am ready to clay bar it, and I spend 15 mins looking everywhere for my clay bars from my Zaino kit. Can't find them anywhere! Had just finished doing my daughter's new used Solara she got for commuting to college after graduating H.S. Didn't put it back in the normal spot with all the other cleaning supplies and it was not to be found.

Ok then, I can take a quick ride to the Auto Parts store and grab the cheapest box of whatever kit that contains clay bars. Found a Mother's kit for $19.99, and was out the door.

As I was leaving the parking lot I see a year or 2 old black CTS-V coupe up ahead waiting to take a right at the stop signal, in the right lane. I'm heading back the opposite way, so I roll up in the left lane. The driver of the V has his window down and is looking left to see when he can make a right on red. His eyes pop when he see's the Boss roll along side and he smiles. I give him a thumbs up for his nice car, and he says "Hey I like your car, I hear those things boogie..."

Mentioned how I had just picked it up that day, and was looking forward to seeing what it could do. As traffic cleared he nodded, then made his right and then laid into the throttle for a spirited exit. Reminds me of the new '13 Ford ad, 'Everyone has an inner Mustang'.

So that's it for now, this mornings rain and clouds have moved out, time to get back to the Zaino!

ace72ace

rpm3dinc said:
Congrats! Mine is supposed to be here on July 11th its in Ohio right now shipping via CSX then Convoy to the dealer. I hope it comes in on time, because July 18th I am going to wedding and won't be back till the 23rd...

I hope I can get a APR Rate that low... that would be great!

BTW, mine is RR too!

As long as you have 'excellent' credit , 730 or higher, you will qualify for the lowest rates around. Find out what your dealer can offer, and then shop around. Nationally the average new car loan is 3.5%, YMMV. My bet is you will get your car 5 or 6 days early, my ETA was also July 11th. HAH! When I called Norfolk Southern, their ETA for my Boss to arrive in Ayer, MA was July 4th, seems like they also pad in extra days to cover the unexpected, I think it got there July 1st. Good Luck man!! You are gonna LOVE IT!

ace72ace

And you told me your Boss ate mine... yeah, I remember you... heh.

lol
some one has to have humor through a stressfull time like we just had...sitting and waiting for them to arrive...

now go enjoy it...let us know how shes running

ace72ace

Ooohhh yyyyyeeeeaaaahhhhhh..... Ran 2 quick errands this morning so the daughter could get her first ride and then another run to the grocery store to get beer and ice for the cooler. Got some polishing to do...

Sweet. Congrats.

Oh yeah I'm in exeter / York area for a few days visiting family I'll keep a look out for you.

ace72ace

As in Exeter NH? I'm right up the road off exit 7 from 101...

God I'm tired. 3x layers of Zaino z2+zfx, with 3 z6 in between. And the wheels. Did the stripes too on the 1st coat, what a pain in the ass. But worth the result...

IMG_1951.jpg
IMG_1983.jpg

Sun pix tomorrow...

Vermont
Congratulations! I guess you'll remember this July 4 as a special one. Looking forward to seeing your daylight photos after the Zaino applications.

TMO Supporting Vendors