The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss # 2509 is home!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just picked it up tonight!!! Trying to download pictures but not able to yet. More tomorrow! First impressions... AWESOME!

Congratulations. You'll need to use an external photo hosting site and then link to the photo in your post.

I will post pictures today. Any instructions on getting exhaust restrictors out? ( :

Ok Ive never used an external photo hosting site so I will have to check that out. I have a couple of questions if anyone can help me out.

1. How do I get the track key activated? Do I wait for some certificate I get in the mail.

2. Who has removed their exhaust restrictor plates and did it change performance? Do you like the sound or is it too loud.

3. Miller motorsports park track day. Any feedback on who has been there?

4. Break in recommendations? I read the manual but that looks like it is for the standard mustang. Unless I missed something there is now a specific BOSS manual.....

Thanks! 56 miles so far!!!

BLAZN BOSS

You have to purchase the trackey program from the dealer for $302......the dealer installs it for you for 1 hour labor. The restrictor plates removed just get louder.......be careful others have melted the plastic pices just infront of the tires at the bottom of the rocker panel between the exhaust and tires........not concrete if its from the exhaust restrictors missing or if the angle of the exhaust was incorrect. Just keep your eye on them. I havent been to MMp but have only heard positive things........its free, if you can go do it!........
This is my opinion on breakin and everyone has their own , I drove mine "normal", no constant steady speeds, The boss 302 owners manual has some basic do's and not do's. I have 3000 miles on mine........hasn't used any oil......transmission works super! Now some say break it in like your goona drive it..........You need to decide. Good luck and happy motoring!

Ok, restrictor plates are off. Process was simple. Kudos to ford for an easy sound change upgrade. Fully unplugged would be good for track but may be a little agressive for neighborhoods. I will give it a few days and see. The 3/4 plate may be the ticket. Car runs great, almost too good for street use 8)

boss1 said:
Ok, restrictor plates are off. Process was simple. Kudos to ford for an easy sound change upgrade. Fully unplugged would be good for track but may be a little agressive for neighborhoods. I will give it a few days and see. The 3/4 plate may be the ticket. Car runs great, almost too good for street use 8)
Did you pull the rear wheel fairings? Try 7/8's if you decide on using a restrictor plate. I've heard the 3/4 and 7/8 side by side and the 7/8 is not a lot louder, just more of the good sounding rumble and popping.

I did not pull the rear wheel farings. I will if they seem to be getting effected. The 7/8ths will be my choice if I add anything.....

MrGT5oh said:
Congratz on your new BOSS!

I hope you still have some good weather so you can enjoy it during the winter. Where are you located?

I am in Virginia Beach VA and the weather has been good. 350 miles so far! ( :

Thanks to all who have replied. Hey just wondering. Whos had to replace their back tires yet??? ( ;

Ok so 550 miles or so the first week.... Love the engine. Pulls strong. Even at mild throttle it throws the car forward at speeds that surprise me. 2nd and 3rd could use more grip. Ive found leaving advancetrack on helps here. Im sure on the track it would be off all the time. The car drifts well and feels ballanced. Steering imput could be better but most of my cars are on track alignment so this is the only one at normal camber that Ive driven lately. The car feels high which is good around town because I am not as afraid of hitting the splitter but lowering springs would be nice. The back end wants to step or hop out if I hit any bumps in the road while loading a curve at speed. That is a little unnerving but when the back end lands atleast it feels planted and predictable. Brakes feel good but still no chance to really use them. I tried taking the discs out and the car was too loud for around town for me but perfect for the track. Kudos to ford for giving us an option here. Engine brakeing felt much better with the discs out... Steering wheel feel is great and the recaros are comfortable. I wish ford had given us a leather option and dont think that would have taken away from the boss tradition...... The remainder of the car feels solid. Windsheild wipers work well and the car is comfortable to sit in overall. I find the ride a good mix between sport and comfort. I like it. Everytime I get in the car I want to drive it. Ive been in sport mode for the steering and that feels the most like my track cars. The stereo is economy all the way! Cruise control works well. Skip shift is ok also but most of the time I prefer to shift. Right now I want some wider tires and a rear spoiler but Im going to get some more miles on the car before I start modding.... Anyway, that is week one. Having a blast! More to come!

Other items of interest: Capless fuel filler neck - way cool! Shifting is tight and gates are close. Hopefully I will get use to this. 11.7 MPG so far!

Ok so the temps got up into the 60s today. What a difference! It had been in the 30s and 40s. Much more grip and ability to put the power down!!! Awesome!

8) OK 1200 miles now. Im really surprised. I love this car. More each time I get to drive it! The way it squats and comes out of a turn is addicting!!! I am having more fun driving this car than any vehicle Ive ever had since my 77 Bronco. And that list covers a strong pedigree of sports cars! Ive never had a car that I try to find the longest route to anywhere I am going and the possibility to add the most truns wherever possible. I cant wait to get this car on the track. The low to midrange torque is awesome. The car jumps forward with hardly any input. And I like the handling. My porsches have more of a front end feel or awareness. Their steering is really pinpoint sharp. The mustangs is not and actually I feel like Im steering more from the rear wheels. But I really like it! Whenever the front or back step out its all throttle steer correctable. We will see how that works at higher speeds at the track? But so far so good.

The steering wheel feels good. Gauges are easy to read and in good location. I think a digital speedometer would have been good as would a true gauge option short of going to a full LS model. Mirrors great. The seats are comfortable. Love the sound. Even with the discs in this thing just growls. Its making me not even want to get in my other cars and drive......... And having not been to the track yet my impression remains that this is the most track capable car right out of the box that I have ever had!!!!! Anyway, thats all for now. No mods yet, not even the track key. Im headed to VIR the first weekend of maarch. Wonder which car I will take? The boss or the porsche?????

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
My guess is you'll love the throttle steer once you get it on the track. At VIR you will have a ball going around the oak tree, she hooks up like mad ;D

Believe me Im chomping at the bit!!! I also think 1, 4 and 5 will be fun! How does your car feel up the S's and what kind of entry/exit speed can I expect?

TMO Supporting Vendors