The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss 302 Camshaft Upgrade

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
http://pbhperformance.com/2012/10/2012-boss-302-camshaft-installation/

Interesting article. I'd like to see what the following would do:

Cams
Cobra Jet Intake
FR Throttle Body
CAI
Tune
Stock headers with hi flow cats that don't throw a CEL with matching hi flow cat back exhaust

Would it product 500 HP at the crank?

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
oh I would love to do cams but I vowed to myself to not crack the valve covers off....must resist. at over 1200 to do the swap it wont be that hard to resist :)

Cams are useless on a 4v. We have tested and not have seen any worthy gains for the price. It will also not give you the sound you want either.

We did a test article in MMFF with their AmsOil Car

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/projectcars/mmfp_1203_2011_coyote_5_0l_heads_and_camshafts_upgrade/viewall.html

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Interesting read. Looks like the Ford SVT team again shows they really didn't leave much of anything on the table except for the previously mentioned Kooks headers and cat-less exhausts. Glad to know what we have right from the factory is so damn good. :)

STEVE@BBR said:
Cams are useless on a 4v. We have tested and not have seen any worthy gains for the price. It will also not give you the sound you want either.

We did a test article in MMFF with their AmsOil Car

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/projectcars/mmfp_1203_2011_coyote_5_0l_heads_and_camshafts_upgrade/viewall.html

I did a test too. I got 522 rwhp from ported heads (Livernois), boss intake, comp stage two cams, kooks long tubes (1& 3/4), kooks x pipe, Boss valve springs. The cams are worth 30 to 35 HP. This has been tested repeatedly. There are several people getting 500 rwhp with this set up. Cant get that number without cams. Although losing the vct is truly a loss. With the cams, The car is faster no doubt. But the engine is not nearly as flexible around town. I think I would be satisfied with 490 rwhp and keeping my stock cams. Thinking about it. For the track however, comp cams are the bomb.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Barbaro said:
I did a test too. I got 522 rwhp from ported heads (Livernois), boss intake, comp stage two cams, kooks long tubes (1& 3/4), kooks x pipe, Boss valve springs. The cams are worth 30 to 35 HP. This has been tested repeatedly. There are several people getting 500 rwhp with this set up. Cant get that number without cams. Although losing the vct is truly a loss. With the cams, The car is faster no doubt. But the engine is not nearly as flexible around town. I think I would be satisfied with 490 rwhp and keeping my stock cams. Thinking about it. For the track however, comp cams are the bomb.

Faster, where?

We were talking about your car a little while ago...and not sure what happened to that thread. But I think it would be more telling about the usable power from your engine if you could post up some lap times. Maybe even some 1/4 passes?

Grant 302 said:
Faster, where?

We were talking about your car a little while ago...and not sure what happened to that thread. But I think it would be more telling about the usable power from your engine if you could post up some lap times. Maybe even some 1/4 passes?

Faster everywhere. But you don't have to believe me. Not going to do any quarter mile passes because it is too hard on my drivetrain. I have a Torsen and it doesn't like that. But I do intend to do the Mojave Magnum. A 1.5 mile high speed run. See what i can get her up to. The 3.73 gears won't help. But if people think the numbers are inflated, that is ok. I always invite people to drive my car for themselves. That usually convinces them. Quarter mile passes and lap times are even more highly variable than dyno numbers. The driver is a huge variable and I am certainly not going to brag about my abilities. I got more car than driver but I am working on it. One thing is for sure it is nothing like stock. It pulls through the whole tach. Going out to Willow in October where we are renting the track. If you are in the area you are specifically invited and you can see for yourself.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
PM me the date? I'm in OC. Big willow or Streets?

I was just suggesting the 1/4 mile for trap speeds...nothing else. Trap speeds are a reasonable gauge of actual power, since that was part of the discussion in the other thread. I've been wanting to see your car run on a road course for a while now...

Grant 302 said:
PM me the date? I'm in OC. Big willow or Streets?

I was just suggesting the 1/4 mile for trap speeds...nothing else. Trap speeds are a reasonable gauge of actual power, since that was part of the discussion in the other thread. I've been wanting to see your car run on a road course for a while now...

Big Willow and we are renting the track in October. I am not sure of the date. I' am hella busy at work but will pm you next week with the date. The group is 6-12 cars strong. There will be times that you will have the whole track to yourself. We try to get morning but will go afternoons in the fall. Sometimes we rent for the whole day but it is a waste since nobody wants to abuse their car for that long. You can do more than see it run. you can drive it . . . .responsibly though as i have a lot of money in it. (That means be careful in turn 3 and 9 since that is where people tend to wreck as I am sure you know) I would not mind trying your car out as well. You probably have more track experience than me so maybe you an clue me in on a few things.

TMO Supporting Vendors