The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss 302 Camshafts

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Does any one know what the part number is for our 12/13 camshafts. Has anyone considered going to the CJ camshafts? I heard we already have the intake camshaft and only require the CJ exhaust (which was supposed to be on ours from the beginning was dropped?) or maybe its the other way around.

Both the intake and exhaust camshafts are different on the NA Cobra Jet.

Intake:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=13103

Exhaust:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=13105

VTBoss302 said:
Both the intake and exhaust camshafts are different on the NA Cobra Jet.

Intake:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=13103

Exhaust:

http://www.fordracingparts.com/parts/part_details.asp?PartKeyField=13105

So what is the stock boss cam specs?

I asked Livernois Performance for a quote on CJ EX/INT cam install and almost fell off my chair when I got their price.

2550 for LABOR TO BASELINE DYNO, INSTALL COBRA JET NA CAMS, CAM PHASER LIMITERS, NEW CAM PHASER BOLTS, NEW BALANCER BOLT, BILLET OIL PUMP GEARS, CHANGE FLUIDS

Add another 500 bucks for dyno labour after install (I guess this is for the tune), 815 for each pair of camshafts, 250 for cam limiters, 85 for phaser bolts, and 450 for billet oil pump gears.

All in all, it was about 6 grand. Even if we took the whole billet oil pump gears out, it would be 5250?

How does this sound to everyone? Under, fair, or over?

Also, I was planning on getting an AED tune for my car, can I use the car without a tune? (Only to leave Livernois and go to a parking lot so I can upload a AED tune)

Im not experienced in camshaft stuff at all, so dont mind the dumb questions.

It needs to be dyno tuned. A mail order tune won't do. Its certainly a lot of money. Ask yourself what your goals are. If theyre gonna pull the motor and money is no object you might want to have other things done at that time.

Yeah makes sense. I just didn't know it was that expensive. People are quoted 500-1000 bucks for camshaft installs, but of course depends on the shop doing the work.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
DGRacing said:
It needs to be dyno tuned. A mail order tune won't do. Its certainly a lot of money. Ask yourself what your goals are. If theyre gonna pull the motor and money is no object you might want to have other things done at that time.
AED does remote tuning so it is possible. Email Shaun. I have done cam swaps on 3Vs and email tunes worked for it. with the new mustangs having wideband sensors you can get a dailed in tune for you car. I am running a AED tune now and sent him data logs.

And for the OP that quote is ridiculous!!!!!
I would do the oil pump gears as they can shatter at high rpm use (from what I have heard).

So should he drive around on the street at WOT with untuned cams to data log?
Not the recommended thing to do even if its feasible. I looked into cams and got the same response from 3 tuners. Dyno only. FWIW.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
DGRacing said:
So should he drive around on the street at WOT with untuned cams to data log?
Not the recommended thing to do even if its feasible. I looked into cams and got the same response from 3 tuners. Dyno only. FWIW.
it does happen. but what I did the second time around was got on a dyno for 40 bucks for three pulls and data logged them.

Ouch! I don't know what you have done so far, but you might see more power gain/dollar (and without opening the engine) with an aggressive tune and full exhaust/CJ intake setup. Plus some nice headers will add to the sound:)

Dunno about you but I am sure that if I was told 5,000 to change cams to gain a few horsepower, I would seriously look at a light supercharger application for that kinda money. 100 to 200 horsepower easily from the Boss and it's across the board . The Boss motor will handle 7 to 10 pounds boost with no issues and give you a really nice power increase without opening the motor.

NewBossowner said:
Dunno about you but I am sure that if I was told 5,000 to change cams to gain a few horsepower, I would seriously look at a light supercharger application for that kinda money. 100 to 200 horsepower easily from the Boss and it's across the board . The Boss motor will handle 7 to 10 pounds boost with no issues and give you a really nice power increase without opening the motor.

Agreed.

TMO Supporting Vendors