The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss 302 clutch fix?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I’d like to know if anyone has come up with a real fix for high rpm shifts in the Boss. If I try to shift at 7300 rpm or higher I experience very difficult shifts or complete lockout on either up shifts or downshifts. I’ve read conflicting reports on various clutches and none seem to be the “answer”. I track the car about 3 or 4 times a year almost exclusively at Willow Springs. The majority of my driving is around town so I wouldn’t be happy with a clutch that didn’t have good street manners. Anyone have a suggestion?
I should add that I have a Barton shifter and a Blowfish transmission bracket and a Steeda transmission mount insert. I also installed a Shelby clutch fluid reservoir.

Last edited:
IMO I'm not impressed with the MT82 tranny, The absolute cure is a Tremec and an Exedy Hyper Single.
I guess, at some point, somebody will start a rebuilding service based on theMT82 but there's a lot of alternatives out there.
Here's a pretty decent article on the current generation trans that you may find useful if yours can be updated.
https://www.americanmuscle.com/s550-mustang-mt-82-transmission-explained.html

I feel your pain, Boss2620. I tried everything under the sun (MGW, Blowfish, stainless clutch line, etc etc etc), including a Spec Stg 1 clutch and alloy flywheel, and nothing would allow me to shift above 7k. I was eyeballing Tremecs myself but I was reluctant to give up the gear ratios that I liked so much in the MT82 so I tried a MacLeod RST and lightened steel flywheel. That finally fixed it! I can bang shifts all day long at redline 7900rpm (AED tune), even on boiling hot days here in S. Texas. Around town it really isn't too bad but it does chatter a little until you learn to use it. I got stuck in a 2 hour traffic jam outside of Austin a few weeks ago and it wasn't terrible at all.

drano38

Wayne
MGW Race spec and Exedy Hyper Singe works great on my Boss. Last weekend I was shifting at 7000 to 7500 rpm effortlessly.
Your Barton/Blowfish combo may work about as well as an MGW
The Hyper Single works great on the street, parking lots, out of the garage, etc.
I had the same concern. But it feels almost like a stock clutch on the street.

MGW Race spec and Exedy Hyper Singe works great on my Boss. Last weekend I was shifting at 7000 to 7500 rpm effortlessly.
Your Barton/Blowfish combo may work about as well as an MGW
The Hyper Single works great on the street, parking lots, out of the garage, etc.
I had the same concern. But it feels almost like a stock clutch on the street.
Yeah my Hyper Single has really broken in nicely and is surprisingly extremely driveable for a high performance race clutch. No problem using it as a daily.

I just got back from Pocono,still on stock clutch with MGW at 30000 miles.I’ve never had lockout or clutch problems.
I don’t want to be 1000 miles away and toss a damper spring.
I think it’s going to be a hyper single.
If I’m screwing up let me know.

TMO Supporting Vendors