The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss 302 damaged in transit, would you buy it and at what price

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilTaylor

Track Attack 5-26-14
I am involved in a Boss 302 transaction gone bad.

I worked with a local dealer to set up a trade for what I believe is the last untitled 2013 Performance White Boss.

The auto-transport company did approximately 10k worth of damages in-transit; including:
1)entire front bumper and fascia damaged and needs replacing
2)left front wheel/rim damaged, tire has puncture in sidewall about 1" below tread, will need new rim and tire
3)dents and alignment issues with entire exhaust system on 3 of 4 pipes and both rear mufflers, needs to be replaced
4)rearward facing dent in left side pipe
5)both rear pipes out of alignment, left hanger damaged
6)vaporcapture emissions housing plastic shroud ( under spare tire area ) cracked front and back
7)rear diffuser shredded and ripped from fasteners
8)rear bumper gaps out of alignment, needs to be removed and rehung, unless removing it shows more damage

I am extremely disappointed, as this would be my 3rd white Mustang. But the side impact to the left front wheel, the entire exhaust system damage, plus the cracked fore and aft plastic shroud make me wonder what sort of impact it took. so ignoring the repaint aging question - there are just too many questions about what happened to the vehicle for me to feel comfortable with it.

with all the potential future problems, even a diminished value payment equal to the damage, after repair, isnt seeming like enough to me.

am I crazy?

or should I stick with my plan, if I can get one, to go get a Yellow or Red one? there are 1 each of those showing as still available.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
If you think the car might have value and maybe worth buying because it is the "last performance white Boss", I don't see it.

Let's revisit the possible value of this car 50 years from now.

PhilTaylor

Track Attack 5-26-14
four-walling said:
If you think the car might have value and maybe worth buying because it is the "last performance white Boss", I don't see it.

Let's revisit the possible value of this car 50 years from now.

nope, I mention that because I cant find any other PW available and have to switch colors. I dont see it as adding any value, just that I cant get another PW one.

I do think in a couple decades that a well-preserved, relatively low mileage Boss will hold its value. its got very low numbers when compared to the GT500, I tally 42, 266 of those 2007-2013, without 2014 GT500s added in. whether the Boss appreciates, yes agreed TBD.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
PhilTaylor said:
nope, I mention that because I cant find any other PW available and have to switch colors. I dont see it as adding any value, just that I cant get another PW one.

gee whiz-give it a week or 2 or 3 or 4. One will show up.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
Here are 7 white 2013 Boss 302's on cars.com website:

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action?feedSegId=28705&rpp=50&alMkId=20015&yrMx=2013&sf2Nm=miles&kw=Boss&requestorTrackingInfo=RTB_SEARCH&yrMn=2013&sf1Nm=price&sf2Dir=ASC&clrId=27134&PMmt=1-1-0&zc=92101&rd=100000&kwm=ANY&mdId=21712&mkId=20015&alMdId=21712&sf1Dir=DESC&searchSource=GN_REFINEMENT&crSrtFlds=feedSegId-mkId-mdId-pseudoYear-clrId-kw-trId&pgId=2102&trId=40763

You can also check autotrader.com...

You might look in this forums boss 302's for sale section. I know there's at least one white boss there for sale. Yes mine, if interested give me a shout.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk now Free

yeah, I wouldn't go for it, let the dealer eat all the damages and try to sell the car. It's a sign of a poor dealer when you can tell they use a very poor transit company.

Think the factory warranty will cover all repairs? Also, why deal with all that from the start? I can also guarantee 100% that the dealer will skimp on the repairs, every penny will be pinched, which will lead to future issues ... guaranteed.

White is one of the more common colors isn't it? Even if it's the last un-titled, why not look for a low milage used one? If you think about it, you'll have WAY more issues going with this damaged but untitled one.

So why not used? They're plenty out there

PhilTaylor

Track Attack 5-26-14
four-walling said:
Here are 7 white 2013 Boss 302's on cars.com website:

http://www.cars.com/for-sale/searchresults.action?feedSegId=28705&rpp=50&alMkId=20015&yrMx=2013&sf2Nm=miles&kw=Boss&requestorTrackingInfo=RTB_SEARCH&yrMn=2013&sf1Nm=price&sf2Dir=ASC&clrId=27134&PMmt=1-1-0&zc=92101&rd=100000&kwm=ANY&mdId=21712&mkId=20015&alMdId=21712&sf1Dir=DESC&searchSource=GN_REFINEMENT&crSrtFlds=feedSegId-mkId-mdId-pseudoYear-clrId-kw-trId&pgId=2102&trId=40763

You can also check autotrader.com...

Perhaps I wasn't clear. I am in the market for a new Boss, not a used one. I want the Larry Miller ride and the full meal deal. That is only available to first owners.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
At this point in the Boss timeline, used is financially the smarter, better bet. I was an early adaptor, so my only choice was to buy new.

...just my opinion....and I have no idea what the Larry Miller ride and full meal deal is.

Are they worth a $10,000 or so savings from new?

PhilTaylor

Track Attack 5-26-14
four-walling said:
At this point in the Boss timeline, used is financially the smarter, better bet. I was an early adaptor, so my only choice was to buy new.

...just my opinion....and I have no idea what the Larry Miller ride and full meal deal is.

Are they worth a $10,000 or so savings from new?

all new Boss owners get a complementary day at Miller Motorsport park, its called Track Attack:

https://www.bosstrackattack.com/

Larry Miller is the "Miller" of MMP.

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
PhilTaylor said:
all new Boss owners get a complementary day at Miller Motorsport park, its called Track Attack:

https://www.bosstrackattack.com/

Larry Miller is the "Miller" of MMP.

If I could sell you mine, I would...never gonna use it...

PhilTaylor said:

I worked with a local dealer to set up a trade for what I believe is the last untitled 2013 Performance White Boss.

The auto-transport company did approximately 10k worth of damages in-transit; including:
2)left front wheel/rim damaged, tire has puncture in sidewall about 1" below tread, will need new rim and tire
3)dents and alignment issues with entire exhaust system on 3 of 4 pipes and both rear mufflers, needs to be replaced
6)vaporcapture emissions housing plastic shroud ( under spare tire area ) cracked front and back
8)rear bumper gaps out of alignment, needs to be removed and rehung, unless removing it shows more damage

I am extremely disappointed, as this would be my 3rd white Mustang. But the side impact to the left front wheel, the entire exhaust system damage, plus the cracked fore and aft plastic shroud make me wonder what sort of impact it took. so ignoring the repaint aging question - there are just too many questions about what happened to the vehicle for me to feel comfortable with it.

with all the potential future problems, even a diminished value payment equal to the damage, after repair, isnt seeming like enough to me.

am I crazy?

or should I stick with my plan, if I can get one, to go get a Yellow or Red one? there are 1 each of those showing as still available.

Phil,

These things do and can happen from time to time, unfortunately.
I'm thinking that no matter how well the car is fixed, those things (damages) will always be in the back of your mind.
I used to be in the car biz. When appraising a vehicle that was being traded-in or purchased used; we could spot body/paint work a mile away and it always diminishes value.

Not sure if the state you are in, that the dealer has to disclose damage? My guess would be yes. Even if I could get a substantial discount, I don't think I would be happy with my brand new Boss at a great price bc of the damage…

Do what's best for you and I hope you find another PW. I know 5 Star Ford in North Richland Hills, Tx had one a few weeks ago.

Boss949 said:
Phil,

These things do and can happen from time to time, unfortunately.
I'm thinking that no matter how well the car is fixed, those things (damages) will always be in the back of your mind.

I think this is your best answer phil,

If i were in your shoes i would been constantly thinking about this damage.

This cars are so finely tuned that as your running around a track feeling slight movements in the car you'll always be thinking is this how they are or is that movement i just felt hitting that apex because of the damage.

reject it and move on buddy

I'd walk away, you'll never know what might show up in the future. I kinda sounds like they drove of the side of the ramp while unloading it. There are plenty of low mileage boss's around, you'll find one. I never went to track attack because the coordinator screwed me around and switch my time around out a couple of month's so I couldn't go but still had a blast at the local track. Good luck!

PhilTaylor said:

am I crazy?

I cant believe how badly they trashed that car. If you have to have white and it has to be new then you have your answer about what you need to do. I don't think I could or would buy a car that has been repaired to that extent even if it was considered new. If you are thinking about long term value those repairs are going to be a factor. A clean used car with little mileage on it will cost you less and have no issues like that provided it has not been in an accident.
Incidentally, I believe white is actually the lowest if not the second lowest in production numbers. Also, contact the track about Track Attack. It looks like the 2013 dates are all gone and I wonder if they are offering 2014 dates at all. Check the price for a track day if you pay yourself. I took a guest for about $1400 or so. You may be better served buying a white low mileage car from one of the forum members here or elsewhere and paying for a track day. Otherwise, go for a new yellow. Everyone knows it is the fastest color anyway.

Speaking as an automobile dealer for 28 years and now the owner of a body shop, my advise is to run screaming for the nearest exit. There is no set of circumstances, IMO, that would make this car a good purchase for a typical car buyer/user. If you were going to turn it into a race car, on the other hand...

While this damage sounds easily repairable (no sheet metal damage from your description), it obviously should not have happened. 'New' means new, and if I'm buying a brand new car I expect it to be delivered completely fresh, completely unmolested, whether or not I take physical delivery at the dealer. I'd insist that the dealer take it back and find me another *new* PW 2013 Boss.

PW is the second lowest production color (GB is the lowest) with 666 PW Bosses produced (according to PTRocks' excellently done production data compilation), but that doesn't mean you can't find another new one. A quick search of the major car buying sites it appears there are still a few new PW Bosses out there. So you might be in luck.

And of course, if you want to do BTA you have to buy a new one as the original owner. Supposedly BTA will be offered in 2014 for a limited period of time to allow residual 2013 buyers a chance to attend.

TMO Supporting Vendors