The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss 302 documentation

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnrehder

New Boss 302 LS owner
Hey guys and gals, new here to the forum. I'm looking to buy a Boss 302 after 5 years of owning a 2008 Shelby GT. I tracked the Shelby in NASA and want to do the same with the Boss. I'm looking at a used Laguna Seca but there is no original documentation with it. The track key is available. It has about 13,804 miles on it. Black with red stripes. Is the Boss documentation that comes with the car when bought new available to used car purchases? Just how important is the original paperwork etc? Any buying tips would be appreciated. Thanks from Jonesboro GA. :)

John, Welcome to the forum!

By 'Boss documentation that comes with the car' are you referring to the owner's kit that FoMoCo sends or simply the window sticker and/or build sheet?

The original owner's kit that Ford sends out to new owners is a one-time thing for original owners only, I believe. I haven't seen or heard anything about them extending the kit to second or third owners unfortunately. A few have popped up for sale on eBay... That being said, I could see where they could eventually offer the certificate for sale as they do to other 'limited edition' owners that buy used. Check out www.fordshowparts.com. They offer the certificates for SVT Cobras and Shelby GT500s, mach1, BULLITT, etc. Shoot them an email and see what they say. That same site also sells window stickers and the updated BOSS 302 book by Donald Farr that came in the owner's kit. Build sheets are not available and sadly, unlike the 'old days,' they're not taped to the underside of the passenger's seat or beneath the trunk mat....

Original paperwork is really only as important as YOU want to make it. If you're planning on showing the car or keeping it forever, it may be worth trying to find the previous owner. If you're like most of us and are buying the car to enjoy on the track, then you'd likely just have it tucked away in a bin or box somewhere anyway!!

Good luck with your purchase and let us know the outcome!!

Tucson 302

2013 Black LS #439
You can buy a copy of the build sheet here:

http://www.shopfordgear.com

As far as the owners kit you are probably out of luck unless you can track down the original owner

John, welcome to BMO. You can check in the registry forum and post in the thread below about your specific car. I think most of the cars that "lose" their owner kits are ones that travel the used car dealership circuit.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=4463.0

mcmmotorsports

Resident Mental Patient
Tucson302 said:
You can buy a copy of the build sheet here:

http://www.shopfordgear.com

As far as the owners kit you are probably out of luck unless you can track down the original owner

Does anyone have this build sheet? Does it say what your color production run number is? i.e., yours is #48 of 553 produced in Kona Blue.

I bought the deluxe version , it's pretty cool , they did have a mistake on them that was corrected , they listed the car as having heated mirrors and I believe one other thing was wrong, all in all not bad though.

mcmmotorsports

Resident Mental Patient
unit5alive said:
I bought the deluxe version , it's pretty cool , they did have a mistake on them that was corrected , they listed the car as having heated mirrors and I believe one other thing was wrong, all in all not bad though.
Did it show your color run production?

I also bought the deluxe one. I was actually a little disappointed in it as it does show the color run, however mine was for all GT based PW Mustangs as the Boss is just a trim package. I can post up pictures later if need be.

mcmmotorsports

Resident Mental Patient
azazell64 said:
I also bought the deluxe one. I was actually a little disappointed in it as it does show the color run, however mine was for all GT based PW Mustangs as the Boss is just a trim package. I can post up pictures later if need be.
Yes, pics please :)

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Unless you have nothing whatsoever, paperwork wise on the Boss, I would not bother wasting $40 plus dollars on this piece of paper. If you have nothing it may be worthwhile to have something rather than nothing. JMHO

I expect the owners kits and ORIGINAL window sticker will matter. Reprint window stickers are a little different. My dealer provided the original and ordered a reprint for me due to a small tear. Funny part is that the reprint window stickers are folded in half (creased) for mailing purposes. Subtle text difference around the border of the two stickers. IF the BOSS is a future collectible the original stuff I think is key.

johnrehder

New Boss 302 LS owner
Thanks for all the replys guys, I hope to have one in the drive way by Thanksgiving. Since I intend to drive not show the car I'm not to worried about the original owners kit. Would be nice to have it but oh well.

Sorry, better late than never, but here is the "deluxe" sheet you can order. As I said before I was a little disappointed in the lack of info on here... http://s1355.photobucket.com/user/azazell64/media/20131002_165336_zps8e911f9a.jpg.html . I also find it funny that according to the documentation, I have heated mirrors (which obviously I don't), but there is no mention of the Torsen differential.

mcmmotorsports

Resident Mental Patient
Just got off the phone with someone over at Ford Racing. Within the next three months, we will have the ability to go online and order certified documentation. While this won't necessarily be the owners Kit, it will provide us with the information that those of us without owner's kits are lacking.

johnrehder said:
Hey guys and gals, new here to the forum. I'm looking to buy a Boss 302 after 5 years of owning a 2008 Shelby GT. I tracked the Shelby in NASA and want to do the same with the Boss. I'm looking at a used Laguna Seca but there is no original documentation with it. The track key is available. It has about 13,804 miles on it. Black with red stripes. Is the Boss documentation that comes with the car when bought new available to used car purchases? Just how important is the original paperwork etc? Any buying tips would be appreciated. Thanks from Jonesboro GA. :)

John, the car you are looking at is an MP (Mass Production) car and it will not come with a Boss owners kit but it will come with the original window sticker from Ford. Depending on certain circumstances this car may come with 2 window stickers but in any case it will come with at least one window sticker and you can also order a deluxe build sheet from Ford for this car so the only thing you will be missing will be the Boss owners kit. You should also be able to obtain a certificate of authenticity from Ford for this car which documents the day it was built along with the VIN and it should be signed by Edsel B. Ford 111 so you will not be missing much.

I have looked at the car you are interested in and if you want some feedback about this car please send me a PM.

8)

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
mcmmotorsports said:
Just got off the phone with someone over at Ford Racing. Within the next three months, we will have the ability to go online and order certified documentation. While this won't necessarily be the owners Kit, it will provide us with the information that those of us without owner's kits are lacking.

I would think you could order up a Marti report of any of these cars. Not sure of the cost but I bet it's not cheap.

TymeSlayer said:
I would think you could order up a Marti report of any of these cars. Not sure of the cost but I bet it's not cheap.

I went down that road some time ago and I spoke with Kevin's office and they do not provide a Marti report for these new Boss 302 cars.

:mad:

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
I thought the only reason there are Marti reports is because Ford was going to throw the production information into the trash and an employee thought the info was worth keeping.

Ford is probably much smarter today and will provide that info themselves to a requestor-for a price.

johnrehder

New Boss 302 LS owner
Thanks, sent you a PM.

7500RPM said:
John, the car you are looking at is an MP (Mass Production) car and it will not come with a Boss owners kit but it will come with the original window sticker from Ford. Depending on certain circumstances this car may come with 2 window stickers but in any case it will come with at least one window sticker and you can also order a deluxe build sheet from Ford for this car so the only thing you will be missing will be the Boss owners kit. You should also be able to obtain a certificate of authenticity from Ford for this car which documents the day it was built along with the VIN and it should be signed by Edsel B. Ford 111 so you will not be missing much.

I have looked at the car you are interested in and if you want some feedback about this car please send me a PM.

8)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel