The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Boss 302 in Chile Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well, building engine number three now at last!! The shop is also building a friends S550 and I was surprised at the difference in between my K1 rods and his Manley rods. The K1 rods are 590 +/- 1g while the Manley rods are 615 +/- 1.5g. 25g pero rod!! Seems like a lot to me. Also the K1 rod bolts are 7/16” vs the Manleys 3/8”

1583247448583.png

With luck my short block will be ready later this week and then we can slap on the ported Gen1 Coyote heads. Porting them has taken more for ever a nd a day so far!! The heads are fitted with the gen 2 37.3mm intake valves and the Boss 31.8mm exhaust valves. Was trying to go for 38mm/32mm valves but the gen1 valve seats would have been uncomfortably thin. Really hoping that all the work will give us some 470 rwhp with luck.

As it is, the ported heads flowed up to 330 cfm which Shaun at AED said would be more then the Cobrajet manifold setup can supply so my builder went back to work to get more speed at a slightly lower cfm…. (looking at 310 to 315 at 0.5lift) It’s his first Coyote so its talking much longer than we anticipated.

All excited for the first race of the season on the 27/28 of this month. Hope this build is a long term one!!!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Just a rambling note about manifolds. My builder is doing my buddies gen2 engine at the same time. Actually, I was lucky in that the ported Gen2 was the reference head to beat with my re-valved second hand gen1 head. He has the 2018 manifold and the quality of the manifold ports is way better then the Cobrajet. The Cobrajet ports are all over the place with lots of work to be done to get them matched to the heads. Not surprised at all that the 2018 manifold is the same or slightly ahead of the stock Cobrajet on the gen 2 engines.

So porting the Cobrajet seems to be one of those things to add to the “must do” list…..

About the heads…This never ends!!! I drop by the shop several times a week and yesterday the heads were back up to 325 cfm and significantly higher velocity. I am impressed at how much work goes into hand matching all 16 intake ports!! At least the exhaust ports will be quicker….I hope.

Really can’t wait to get this thing to the dyno!!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Rambling on then!!

My previous engine failure had the dead piston with a funny groove on the c clip groove of the piston wrist pin.... We found signs of minor wear on all the other pistons as well. Will be cleaning those up as best we can and tending to think its due to lubrication problems... We did some high temps and some over revs down shits.

Apart of the driver mods... we managed to get the piston squirters in around the K1 rods with some careful bending. These ought to help lubricate the pistons. This engine will have the rev limiter set at 7800rpm as well.

Also adding NACA ducts to the home built wood splitter as it went far back under the engine. Trying to get air the the headers as they were covered before.

Question!! The oil filter should be at the end of the oil flow?? or as it leaves the oil pan?? I would think it should be at the end as the oil gets to the pan.... But now not so sure.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
some over revs down shits.

Man, don't you hate that? Maybe lay off the bean burritos for a while?:)

But seriously, RPM limiter won't save you from over revs on downshiFts. Work on fighting the urge to downshift really early in the braking zone, let the brakes knock some more speed off before you go for the shitter, er, the shifter.;)

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Yup will bring my downshifts under control and keep the rpm within reason. Hoping this season that we can add a nearly defunct Cayman gt4 cup series to our class. That would mean we would have five gt4's and new driver in a GT3 to our mix. Hoping to have 20 cars on track at the same time divided in three classes... Looks all the Porsche's will be with me.

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well, all the world is pretty much in lock down... Hope every one is safe and sound! My car is 15km away in a shop waiting to have its engine put together. Headers are being redone with a new collector and better welding etc.. Plus they will be wrapped to lower temps a bit. Boy I miss the car!! Wish it was home so I could move it along!

First thing will be to log it and get the final AED tune. Then off at last to a Dyno... No idea when race season will start, Looks like July.....

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Went back and read your build ( hey, I found the time ,ha) and noticed you had an AED Tuna magic. Not sure , but something sounds a bit fishy with that mod???

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Now that our house arrest is over, at least for the time being..... Found out why the heads are delayed. My crazy mechanic did no like the Kooks colectores he repaired for me a while back.

So they are looking like this now.
1586963516480.png

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Lol! More then likely!! He is promising 500rwhp... but I doubt it, Would be very happy with 480rwhp. Pushng to get him to finish the heads before the 90 days runs out on the AED custom tune.

TMO Supporting Vendors