The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Boss 302 in Chile Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
One would think that he would give a short extension if the delay was at least partially due to the virus.

I wrote a nice email asking for time.. the reply was "90 DAYS" So pushing to get it done. I bought the custom tune when my guy said two more days LOL!!! Have a couple of weeks left.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Wow, no flexibility in this unique time, may make some of us question if we want to deal with the individual you are using --- wouldn't hurt to drop their name as pretty ridiculous not offering some leeway like virtually everyone is in these unique times?!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I think he is probably one of the best tuners, but he can be a little cranky at times.. I already went over once before after a race accident and had to renew the tune. Shaun at AED figures 90 days is good enough for any excuse posible...

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
One would think that he would give a short extension if the delay was at least partially due to the virus.

Yea we are all suffering around the world from this F@$$ virus. Delivery times for parts like oil squirters has gone way up. Tasca kept changing the delivery dates, so went and bought used one on Ebay (the last four!). Should have them today.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Can't agree, right now is a time for extra consideration, kindness , and understanding that all things are moving slowly or not at all. Hard time adjusting to those that don't under what service really means. 90 days is irrelevant when many companies are extending time voluntarily , promoting the fact and reaching out to their customers. Tough times can bring out the best or the worst in some, and I for one am hoping for a more optomistic, understanding and kinder World when we all get through this -- just my personal opinion.

Part of the reason I love this site, folks help others with no ulterior motives except they are car sickos and trackrats!

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
My milkman offered to allow us to pay late if needed because of the tymes. I gave him a twenty dollar tip and told him it wasn't necessary. If the milkman gets it, I don't understand why your tuner doesn't.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Bill was kind enough to poke a stick at me to see if I was still alive, so will keep this Build thread going with what little I have so far. Proof of Life!

Well after what seems like forever!! Me mechanic is promising me the final CFM tables for the heads, that and final valve seating and a resurfacing means they are close to being ready!!! 5 months later!!! We are still in lockdown here in the capital city Santiago and it looks like at least another week of only going out for food raids etc. Thank god we have a large yard. Dogs think its all a bonus just for them… (cats barely notice….)

Saw that the stock Gt350 heads have a cfm of 330 @0.50 lift. Makes me feel good as we are hoping to make similar numbers using 37.3mm and 31.8mm valves. The CJ manifold is getting ported as well, so that, and the 67mm twin TB should help things along!!

A totally new 3” exhaust goes along with the new motor. New collectors on the headers, 3” Dynamax mini bullet resonator where the cats went, a custom X pipe, another longer dynamax 3” resonator after the Xpipe, an then at the end, a dynamax Ultraflow muffler for the noise restricted tracks. Just after the second resonator, we put a H pipe as well as we saw that we came down 3Db with this setup. All of that going straight out, not over the axle. Our main track has a very strict 90 Db limit. Measured in a sound booth as well as on the track. All the exhaust parts are in pieces till we have the engine in and will be put together with bolted flanges.

Keep safe everyone! wash your hands and avoid riots!

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
90DBA --- dang Laguna Seca sounds pretty good compared to that issue. It must sound like a bunch of UPS trucks or vacuum sweepers going around the track at that low or decibels. Can't imagine what you guys have to spend to just keep the exhausts quiet? Now, any chance for some lovely South American graft where you guys could pay for a dysfunctional DB sound booth.............heh, worth trying, ha.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
About the cost of the muffler.... its rather suprising... A competitors Camaro spent about 5 grand total on six (3 per side) borla mufflers plus all welded nicely in stainless steel. looked great, weighed a ton. He brought his Db from 105 to 96.

In the effort to cram as many mufflers as possible, they removed the xpipe!!

We had a much simpler system but when we added a extra H pipe at the end, we went to 88 Db (from 96Db). This current exhaust will cost about US$1500 with all the parts a labour.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Ear plugs should be offered to those offended by the sound of an engine reaching it's peak output.......................

The brilliant powers that be built the track south of the city in a nice green valley, near some nature loving condos... Idiots. Same distance to the north of us its empty desert.

But the view is nicer....

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well, here we are shut down still. Looks like all of June will be locked down with only 2 trips a week for groceries etc. No chance to go see my car... Miss it!!!

In the mean time. Was wondering.... Now that the engine has two setrab oil filters (915, and 934) and oil piston jets... Should I think about changing from Mobil 5W50 to something lighter??? Is it possible that 5W50 is a little to thick for the jets etc?

Hope everyone is safe and sound!

M H, I don't have an answer to your oil question...I have always used 5W-50 from day one.I hope corona will give you a break soon.In Ct phase 2 starts tomorrow with more businesses opening up. Indoor seating at restaurants with be a welcome return............this is far from over as far as I can see...as people let their guard down, this will come back to haunt us!!

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
So are you locked down from even going to work? Sounds like you are getting a severe case of Cabin Fever if asking if your oil is too heavy, if you should change brands, if your skin is looking dry ,or if you need a little Neutrogena oil for your aging pores??? Mad , we have it bad, but you have it way worse!! Keep us posted, though, so we can make sure you aren't getting right to the very edge , like thinking you need a new Camaro! TMO Members are here for your mental health, so post often, regardless. Oh, by the way, quit worrying about your oil , just cool your jets, haha. We love you man, and you really are in a super confinement situation , but your friends here at TMO are with you in spirit. Speaking of spirits, it is definitely now past time for you to start testing all the fine Chilean wines at your disposal.

Heck, MadBob has his ton of threads , so why not have MadHatter start a Wine Thread ---- that will not get a Chile reception , except in the case of Chardonnays . We could get a little rebuttal from our members in California, Washington, Oregon, New York , etc. going too!

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors