The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Boss 302 in Chile Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
While they won't take the oval twin throttle body, there's always the pricey Edelbrock:

And the more reasonably priced Holley Sniper with 90mm opening:

I do not doubt that those might be better built and finished. But I think that both of those manifolds offer Boss 302 performance and the Holly sniper might be more for the supercharger setups since its all metal. The Cobra jet looks massive compared to the boss manifold and after about 30 hours of work it looks great!! :eek: :p

When I asked Shaun whether all the bother with the CJ setup was worth it for an extra 15rwhp.... his reply was... Thats 15 hp that you don't have now..... If that extra 15hp gets me infront of the Porsche GT3s on the straights... Then it was worth it!!!

Well, if the ported heads, ported CJ setup with LM intake cams cams, new header collectors and 3 inch exhaust gives me 50rwhp more... will be a very happy camper!, if not... then have to think again....

Would love to have a Cortex SLA setup.... But would have to be working for that to happen!

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
As promised Bill!! Here is a compressed air test of three xpipes they had lying around. The top one is the custom xpipe they made for me, middle is a Borla Xpipe, and bottom is my Kooks.... The kooks really disappointed me!! But soon got over it as I thought about the extra HP headed my way.

The same applied to the headers, with the new collector, the paper gets vigorously sucked in by air injected in a adjacent header exhaust port.

Last edited:

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Nice! A true Scavenger X-Pipe design & I’m very happy you have an excellent Fabricator.

Actually, a MagnaFlow X-Pipe looks very similar to your custom X-Pipe design, but I have no idea how efficient it flows.

Congrats & hats off to your fabricators.

Humm. . . I wonder how the addition of Boss 302 Side Pipe outlets would affect flow? Just thinking out loud here.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Lol, the loud part will see me off the track!!

He says thanks!! he also said they are for sale for US$280 plus shipping. Putting a plug in for my guy :cool:

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
As promised Bill!! Here is a compressed air test of three xpipes they had lying around. The top one is the custom xpipe they made for me, middle is a Borla Xpipe, and bottom is my Kooks.... The kooks really disappointed me!! But soon got over it as I thought about the extra HP headed my way.

The same applied to the headers, with the new collector, the paper gets vigorously sucked in by air injected in a adjacent header exhaust port.
Yup the angle of convergence and percentage of overlapping space matters.
Lots of monkey see monkey do out there, often not understanding what the true goal is and how to get there.
Glad to see your guys are thinking for them selves.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well slowly moving forward. just going to stop counting days as It just means loosing more hair.

Here is a pic of the H pipe after the Xpipe for further sound reduction.Just fitted and needing the final welds.

1599832964148.png

Since we wanted a exhaust system that was under the axle for easy removal and repair.... We have to remove the stock style 18mm swaybar. Its tricky to get a 3 inch exhaust to go over the axle and not have some potential for the dreaded false knock.
1599833067353.png

And replace with one of these custom made 18mm spring steel bars...(this is from a mock up of a buddies car from the same shop), mine will have 4 positions to tune the stiffness of the rear bar.
1599833139306.png

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
MH:

I have a question on the H-Pipe after the X-Pipe arrangement. Will the H-Pipe interfere with the X-Pipe excellent scavenge capabilities? I just don’t know?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.

1599846256523.png

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
MH:

I have a question on the H-Pipe after the X-Pipe arrangement. Will the H-Pipe interfere with the X-Pipe excellent scavenge capabilities? I just don’t know?

Thanks in advance for sharing your thoughts.

View attachment 58150

The hanky got sucked down the exhaust just as well with the H pipe added in. But the decibels went down 3 points with the additional H pipe on the previous exhaust.. Would prefer not to have it, but the rules are the rules......run silent! or don run!
I guess the H pipe really does not really help much one way or the other with the scavenging, but it does help in messing up the amplitude and frequency of the sound pulses

Last edited:

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
The hanky got sucked down the exhaust just as well with the H pipe added in. But the decibels went down 3 points with the additional H pipe. Would prefer not to have it, but the rules are the rules......

Nice! Happy to read that. Now we know.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Ahh,,, dang..... Have a bit a problem with the VMP TB, the harness is not compatible with the connector I have on the car.

1600193066424.png
Green one is the cars, and the VMP one is the red one..... emailing VMP now to see whats up

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Thanks Coz, that looks like what I should have ordered....But it looks like a fairly simple rewire... As in this video from CJ

At the 4 min mark.....
Should have come with the manifold. Mine did.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well, its alive!! car started up right away. We had trouble finding a battery that was alive after so long.

A bit worried about the drop in oil pressure compared to before... I got 75psi at 3500 rpm and 40psi at idle with the engine warm. Have not taken it past 3500 yet.

Could it be the added oil jet squirters?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Well, its alive!! car started up right away. We had trouble finding a battery that was alive after so long.

A bit worried about the drop in oil pressure compared to before... I got 75psi at 3500 rpm and 40psi at idle with the engine warm. Have not taken it past 3500 yet.

Could it be the added oil jet squirters?
What, no cam loping video....?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Nope, just what counts! having a lopy tune is kind of ricer too me. If the real cams do it, great... About the oil pressure, probably just being overly neurotic as a new engine daddy. Remembering that the block and heads had all the oil ports cleaned up.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Nope, just what counts! having a lopy tune is kind of ricer too me. If the real cams do it, great... About the oil pressure, probably just being overly neurotic as a new engine daddy. Remembering that the block and heads had all the oil ports cleaned up.
A lopey Tune is ricer....a lopey Cam is muscle car.
At least that's how I see it.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
A lopey Tune is ricer....a lopey Cam is muscle car.
At least that's how I see it.

Yup, thas excatly what I meant! The LM intake cam is nice as you keep the bottom end while adding a good 30hp up top. Are you going for a more aggresive cam on your gen 3??

TMO Supporting Vendors