The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Boss 302 in Chile Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
That looks good...except for the FRAM filter!

If I’m seeing it correctly, the 925 is fed first?

IF there are any oil cooling issues that show up I’d box the 915 first with a larger inlet than the 915 core.

I’d also protect it with nomex honeycomb regardless.

I have things back to front,,, the Honeycomb is infront of the rad and behind the coolers.... The FRAM came with the MMR oil adapter.. Is it that bad??

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I have things back to front,,, the Honeycomb is infront of the rad and behind the coolers.... The FRAM came with the MMR oil adapter.. Is it that bad??

I think so. Search ‘Fram oil filter cutaway’. They have a long history of using cheap materials. Like cardboard and twine.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
I think so. Search ‘Fram oil filter cutaway’. They have a long history of using cheap materials. Like cardboard and twine.
Fram may have some premium versions that are better but the orange ones are not known to be good. If available in that size, AMSOil , Royal Purple, or WIX filters are among the best.

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Ok, just binged on amazon for some Wix 51069R filters. Went with Wix because it said RACING on them.... :cool:. Have a shipment waiting to be completed in Miami any ways..

Going to upgrade the SA Koni to DA since its been a while and the SA shocks are getting tired. Emailed Filip at Cortex and he was going to send me the part number and quote for the KONI DA, (they are regarded as obsolete...Lol). But its a cheap upgrade in any case. Would love a set of more racy shocks, but for some reason I have spent all my money. At times like these. I just blame Grant.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
forgot to say the flow goes from motor, to the 925, then the 915, then the filter.
Interesting, I usually plumb to the filter first just in case a motor unloads you don't fill the coolers with trash.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
1600623135428.png

I was thinking that the 915 and 925 coolers give me the same BTU as the 948 cooler so should be good for 600hp plus. Going to cut up the nomex that we have on the radiator to cover the oil coolers just in case.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Grant 302

View attachment 58308

I was thinking that the 915 and 925 coolers give me the same BTU as the 948 cooler so should be good for 600hp plus. Going to cut up the nomex that we have on the radiator to cover the oil coolers just in case.

Two problems with that method...

The 948 has 20% more rows and 23.7% more fins.

Two pass heat exchangers increase efficiency, but not by that much and your two core series setup effectively acts like a two pass h/e. I think less than a 10% increase.

Your setup does have the advantage of access to better airflow, but not to the point where it would overcome a 20%+ difference in core and fin qty.

The second issue is using the HP range from the chart. Coyotes even stock make a ton of heat in the upper RPM ranges. And you make pretty good use of that upper range from what I’ve seen.

There are enough examples of Bosses mildly to heavily modified with the 948 stand alone to make me think it’s not enough capacity for some of the conditions that you run in.

One thought to ponder...do you really want to put your old coolers *after* the filter now?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
looks like I am in the need of a ponder... Thinking of costs.... what about swapping the 915 out for a 925. Or adding another 925 to the setup I have..... hmm... running out of space!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
looks like I am in the need of a ponder... Thinking of costs.... what about swapping the 915 out for a 925. Or adding another 925 to the setup I have..... hmm... running out of space!
One 948 is not enough?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
All the extra plumbing costs oil pressure....every fitting and hose added to the system drops pressure to some degree, especially if its plumbed in series instead of parallel. Start adding all that up and you might be surprised at the pressure drop.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Worth a look:

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
It appears you are running out of vertical space. Why not replace the 915 with the 172? It has higher BTU rating and is wider horizontally (and shorter vertically and also had a lower oil pressure loss.

The downside is that the ports are on the side making it a little more challenging to connect it in series with the 925.IMG_7107.JPG

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
It appears you are running out of vertical space. Why not replace the 915 with the 172? It has higher BTU rating and is wider horizontally (and shorter vertically and also had a lower oil pressure loss.

The downside is that the ports are on the side making it a little more challenging to connect it in series with the 925.View attachment 58311

Yes!! not much area to play with. The 172 is tempting as for size, but the price to BTU ratio is not that great (its US$595). I think we will probably start by boxing in the front grill area, as we have lots of leaks and the OEM rubber is very floppy and probably does almost nothing at high speeds. I should have just bought the 948 from the start, and maybe a better rad....

Even thinking of putting back the OEM boss oil cooler, though the plumbing would be fun.
1600712432484.png

Grant 302

Maybe a few more questions before you buy anything...what were your worst oil temps and what track and conditions for your last engine using the two coolers?

Worth a look:

Good stuff. But I would definitely caution anyone from drawing any conclusions without completely understanding what values they’re plugging in and what operating conditions those values represent.

I can go over examples later, if anyone cares.

The downside is that the ports are on the side making it a little more challenging to connect it in series with the 925.View attachment 58311
FWIW, I wouldn’t choose the 172 for lots of reasons.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Good stuff. But I would definitely caution anyone from drawing any conclusions without completely understanding what values they’re plugging in and what operating conditions those values represent.

I can go over examples later, if anyone cares.

It was basically to exemplify that fittings and oil line have a cost, and that' cost is Oil pressure.
Back in the day the rule of thumb was one 90* bend was about the same pressure drop as 8 feet of empty tube that same size. Obviously the exact amount depends on the specific fitting type etc. and you could easily scrutinize that 6 ways to Monday but the message is the same, fittings and hose cause pressure drop so plumb with that in mind.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Maybe a few more questions before you buy anything...what were your worst oil temps and what track and conditions for your last engine using the two coolers?

Worst oil temp was 300F on a hot day with some 30 deg C ambient temp. But that coincides with the full splitter past the oil pan. Actually, that was with just the with the 925. Next time out was with the 925/915 combo and the engine blew up. Was also having high temps at around 290. Not much data am afraid to say.

TMO Supporting Vendors