The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Boss 302 in Chile Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
Sorry about that... should learned by now not to be a spoiler.... Its the helpers who eat the cookies ok?

In the excitement to go out and log the car again I forgot to do a KAM relearn like Shaun asked. Dam and rats, I let him know just in case we need to relog. But the log does look good. What I did notice is that the JLT CAI is less efficient then the previous setup for intake air temps.

It appears that the JLT CAi for the Cobrajet intake does not have the duct leading to the front grill like the JLT intakes for the GT/Boss intakes. Can you use the housing from the old CAI with the tube & filter from the JLT CJ CAI and MacGyver a hybrid?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Yes, I think we can. We can try ducting from the OEM position as well as through the head light. The more the better!!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
It appears that the JLT CAi for the Cobrajet intake does not have the duct leading to the front grill like the JLT intakes for the GT/Boss intakes. Can you use the housing from the old CAI with the tube & filter from the JLT CJ CAI and MacGyver a hybrid?
This is the reason I went with the CJ CAI, a better heat barrier than some popular choices plus that little snorkel on the front. Oddly, it doesn't go past the radiator so it just snorkels in hot air from the rad. Is there an OEM connector piece that I am missing or do I need to fab something up?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
This is the reason I went with the CJ CAI, a better heat barrier than some popular choices plus that little snorkel on the front.
I'm not quite sure what you mean by the "little snorkel on the front." From what I can see, the JLT CJ CAI does not have such a snorkel. It is basically just an L-shaped heat barrier. In fact, step #5 of JLT's instructions (PDF attached) instruct you to remove the duct (on a 11-14) for which I provided the P/N a few posts ago. This is why I suggested to MH the possiblity of using the heat barrier of the JLT (Series I or II) for a regular GT or Boss that has the snorkel that will fit into the 2011-14 air inlet duct.

And since you have a 2006 I'm not sure if you can easily incorporate that duct through your radiator support. Although with your fab skills it's probably nothing you couldn't overcome.

Attachments

• CAI-FMGCJ-11.pdf
    1 MB · Views: 106

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I'm not quite sure what you mean by the "little snorkel on the front." From what I can see, the JLT CJ CAI does not have such a snorkel. It is basically just an L-shaped heat barrier. In fact, step #5 of JLT's instructions (PDF attached) instruct you to remove the duct (on a 11-14) for which I provided the P/N a few posts ago. This is why I suggested to MH the possiblity of using the heat barrier of the JLT (Series I or II) for a regular GT or Boss that has the snorkel that will fit into the 2011-14 air inlet duct.

And since you have a 2006 I'm not sure if you can easily incorporate that duct through your radiator support. Although with your fab skills it's probably nothing you couldn't overcome.
You read me right the first time. That extension part you posted (and I subsequently ordered) connects to the "snorkel" as I called it to extend it past the radiator. I knew something was missing as feeding the CAI with hot air from the radiator defeats the Cold air portion of a "Cold Air" intake. There is a cutout in the radiator tank to facilitate this extension. Should be a no brainier to install. Thank you.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Don't know for a 2006. For 2010-2014 the bolt is W711123-S439 and the nut is W520214-S440.

But according to RockAuto's site the Moog & AC Delco ball joints for a 2006 come with new a new but & bolt.
Thanks, I couldn't find them on the Tasca site or any of the other sites I perused through yesterday.
I'm using the 19mm Howe screw in ball joints and unfortunately they came with no bolts.
Thank you again.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
duplicate

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
If I remember right, my Mishimoto rad does not leave much space for the snorkel thingy. Are you looking for the ball joint for the A arm?? Just got some for a buddies BMR tubular A arms. Used the Steeda X11 ones as the only ones we could find.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
If I remember right, my Mishimoto rad does not leave much space for the snorkel thingy. Are you looking for the ball joint for the A arm?? Just got some for a buddies BMR tubular A arms. Used the Steeda X11 ones as the only ones we could find.
Just the pinch bolt that clamps the spindle to the ball joint.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well here is the latest log thats off to see da Tuna. Was a cooler day so I guess that helped the MAF rate go up to 54.7. Looking forward to having the final tunes soon.
1602691506969.png

Found one of the noises from the suspension.. the rear spherical LCA (Modified BMR) have a little play in them that makes a knocking sound. Lasted two years. Time to replace the bearings

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Looks like a drag racing piece geared towards boosted applications.
Sean is working on a trick manifold too....but again, boosted drag racing stuff.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Yup, boosted drag racing:

• Full CNC Machined Billet 6061-T6
  • Pro Mod Style Top Hat
  • SFI Burst Plate
  • Optimized Runner Length for Coyote Platform