The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Boss 302 in Chile Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Track tune loaded and went for a drive to pick up one of the kids.. Car runs great, but it was a cool night with some 10 degrees C. The 275/35-19 street tires had no traccion at all so could not stand on the gas with out making a scene, tires spinning in third etc.
Also in 30min of driving the oil temp never went above 150. Makes me wonder if the temps have dropped because of he oil jets?? Have to wait for a warmer day and with the splitter on. For the sake of science, will not change the splitter yet till we see what the affect on engine temps is.

Track scene is heating up! Have my arch rival going from a GT3 to a supercharged E90 M3. Plus a New GT3 and a bevy of homeless Cayman GT4s that are looking for a catergory to race in after the GT4 category petered out.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well..... finally got to the track.. Was a really nice sunny day with about 25 degrees C. Loaded up the slicks and tools into the car and went to and Covid era track day... No public and max of 50 cars, though only 30 showed up.

Car seems weeker with this final tune so, we started looking for false knocks and the such... wrench light came on twice and had to restart to get back to the pits. First started getting PO581 code and then after removing and cleaning the crank sensor that code went and was replaced by P0351... Did a crank relearn and then seemed better, but the car was not as strong as it was on the AED test tunes.

My lap times were bang on where they were last year at 1:10, but on the straights, could not pass my buddies S197 GT with 420 rwhp. We swapped the crank sensor for the other cars at the end of the day, the car went better but still has P0351 codes... Foolish me... went out with a 1/4 tank, was going for a personal best with my track app egging me on to a 1;09.5 time. But in the corners had fuel starvation and ended up at 1:10 again.

Nice to race again!! Will log and send to AED just in case but it sounds to me like a shorted cable or some such... the fun kind to find!!!

Oh, and have to fix several small oil leaks... o_O

Almost forgot... lots more oil in the manifold, catch can was nearly 50% full after about 40min of track time.. Never did that before..

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Dam, getting old....almost forgot! even though it was a hot day... oil temp never got past 250 even though I had the grill and complete splitter back on...So that seems to confirm that oil squirters do help drop temps

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
I'm glad that you were able to get her back out. Were you able to get her on the dyno yet?

The oil in the catch can is concerning. I'm glad your temps are down but I'm wondering if that's more a result of the apparent decrease in power rather than, or in addition to, the squirters.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I'm glad that you were able to get her back out. Were you able to get her on the dyno yet?

The oil in the catch can is concerning. I'm glad your temps are down but I'm wondering if that's more a result of the apparent decrease in power rather than, or in addition to, the squirters.

Thanks, yes you could be right... I was shifting at 7700 rpm etc. Will have to test the theory again when its sorted out

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Nice update, but ditch the catch can for a breather setup (like Petersen) if it isn’t already. And where are the oil leaks?

I had the JLT catch can so it still returns to the manifold, I guess that could do with a update! The oil leak is on the timing chain cover. Ordered new seals just in case.
1605325375548.png

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I had the JLT catch can so it still returns to the manifold, I guess that could do with a update! The oil leak is on the timing chain cover. Ordered new seals just in case.
View attachment 59795
Ack! It’s running cooler because you’re ingesting all the hot oil vapor! Just kidding.

No catch can will stand up to track use, and it’s best to vent to keep your intake tract oil free. Not that it would explain significant power loss, but it’s certainly not gonna help.

Good luck with the leak. I don’t think there’s any good way to stop that without something coming apart. I’m thinking your builder should help you and take care of that.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
would just a set of PCV breathers do the job or is a Peterson can a must for the oil fumes?
Gotta hook up to a can. Pop in breathers will get oil all over.
Never mind that... will setup a catch with the two PCV hoses and breather. Eliminating the return to the Manifold.

View attachment 59800
That should work. The hoses should slope so any oil drains back into the crankcase.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Forgot to mention that I was almost blacked flagged for noise. In the sound cabin I was at 91db and the limit is 90db at 6000rpm. They let me on the track but I did not trigger the sounds alarms so they let me continue. Was thinking of adding these
1606088191337.png
too the exhaust tips to point the pulses at the ground, so it can absorb a db or so.

very glad they do not measure at 7850 rpm! (my new self imposed limit)

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Parts from Tasca arrived so getting installed now. Everything looked fine. So hopefully no oil leaks after this. Getting the breather can and a WIX filter installed as well. With a little bit of luck and if COVID allows, will have a race on Dec 13th.

1607183572878.png

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Dang, I could not even get to 90 DBs when I had my Spec Miata, and I am pretty sure the Boss S is over 100!! With the exhaust going straight down to the pavement right behind me , inside the machine is akin to being at a " Who " concert, ha!!

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Its kind of funny, the car is at 91 DB right now but I would not call it quite. I guess we can get used to just about anything if we really have to!!

TMO Supporting Vendors