The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Boss 302 in Chile Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDee

Ancient Racer
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5 miles from Mosport
I can't imagine that level of noise, I still have the stock Ford exhaust except for an H pipe delete for the resonator, and the noise inside the car going up the straight at 150mph is just off the charts! I want to go aftermarket to lose some weight, but am seriously concerned about the noise, my hearing is already big time into old guy territory and I don't want to do much more damage to it!
My wish list for aftermarket exhaust would be 1./light 2./relatively quiet 3./not costing any power. They're probably all at odds with each other.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I hear you JDee, er, actually I don't, as my hearing from rock bands and 40 years of autocrossing, time trials and road racing mean I join you in old guy territory. I am not deaf , I just can't hear schitt, so I am up that creek!

but am seriously concerned about the noise
Ear plugs really help when trying to preserve your hearing when driving your race cars...ear muffs and plugs together,really cut down on noise levels but muffs don't work well with wearing a helmet....as for Rock concerts...just get used to that ringing in your ears the next day or two.;)

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Parts from Tasca arrived so getting installed now. Everything looked fine. So hopefully no oil leaks after this. Getting the breather can and a WIX filter installed as well. With a little bit of luck and if COVID allows, will have a race on Dec 13th.

View attachment 60333
Did you find the source? Good luck being leak free!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I can't imagine that level of noise, I still have the stock Ford exhaust except for an H pipe delete for the resonator, and the noise inside the car going up the straight at 150mph is just off the charts! I want to go aftermarket to lose some weight, but am seriously concerned about the noise, my hearing is already big time into old guy territory and I don't want to do much more damage to it!
My wish list for aftermarket exhaust would be 1./light 2./relatively quiet 3./not costing any power. They're probably all at odds with each other.

As a underground miner, hearing is not that great either!! Would not mind keeping what little is left!! But the exhaust we built, is quieter then almost any decent performance exhaust we have seen so far, even though its pretty much straight out... I remember that my stock Boss exhaust was over 95db with the spacer removed from the side pipes.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Looks like it was the join of the seal on the timing chain cover. Since the seal was relatively new, we re-used the one from the previous build...:oops:
Noting wrong with that if it’s clean enough for the silicone dab to bond to it. I’d always try to make sure it’s tacky during assembly and not too skinned over and dry. I’m talking about the 4 points where the block, head, and cover meet.

In the V6L
A turbocharger ticks two of those boxes - quieter, more power, although it adds a bit of weight.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
A turbocharger ticks two of those boxes - quieter, more power, although it adds a bit of weight.

We had a guy with a Ultima race car (from the UK) who needed to go down 2db... so his shop convinced him to add a turbo to his LS7... at 3 psi... was quieter but the car was too much for him. Some how me thinks that was not needed.....

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well my Koni 8611 Shocks arrived at last! About to update the Cortex coil overs from the very worn SA to the new DA ones. Not the newset and greatest shocks, I know, but they fitted the budget nicely!

Now I finally have to go work out out what exactly rebound and compression adjustments will do to the car. Anybody used these before??

With all the lock downs and such its been hard to get into the track spirit... getting to be a couch potato. Thought at least I dropped 18 pounds, :cool:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Well my Koni 8611 Shocks arrived at last! About to update the Cortex coil overs from the very worn SA to the new DA ones. Not the newset and greatest shocks, I know, but they fitted the budget nicely!

Now I finally have to go work out out what exactly rebound and compression adjustments will do to the car. Anybody used these before??

With all the lock downs and such its been hard to get into the track spirit... getting to be a couch potato. Thought at least I dropped 18 pounds, :cool:
Make sure its bump/rebound instead of the High speed/low speed adjustments like the JRI's.
They behave very differently.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Make sure its bump/rebound instead of the High speed/low speed adjustments like the JRI's.
They behave very differently.

Yup these are just the plane jane Bump/rebound ones. Probably start with both in the middle and work my way forward from there.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Yup these are just the plane jane Bump/rebound ones. Probably start with both in the middle and work my way forward from there.
Nothing wrong with that, its just important to know which is which so adjustments make sense.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
At last!! Off to the Dyno next monday. Or at least thats the plan. really hoping for some decent numbers. Anything north of 460 will keep me happy, though I would like to see 475rwhp
Sending good Ju-Ju's.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
You should. @docs302 has about the same setup as you except for the ported heads and he did 474 on 100 octane. Go get 'em!

If your budget permits, see what difference is between pulls in 3rd gear versus 4th.
lets see....he's using an MT 82 right? Isn't 5th gear 1-1...?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
lets see....he's using an MT 82 right? Isn't 5th gear 1-1...?

Yup, actually the Calimer stage 3 has a little taller gearing. But If I remember right this Dyno does not like the speeds I would get a 7750 rpm in fifth. me thinks it will have to be fourth.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Actually just checked and 1st to 4th is taller in the stage three but fifth is still 1 to 1. Its quite noticeable, with the stock MT82 I liked the 3.31 rear, But with the calimer box, the 3.31 was nose bleed tall. So went back to the 3.73...... maybe I should have done a 3.55

TMO Supporting Vendors