The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Boss 302 in Chile Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
the JLT CAI left a lot to be desired as far as air intake temps go se we made a small mod for that.
1613602575224.png
1613602596725.png
1613602618966.png

Bought a used light from Ebay and kept the other for when we need lights. At least we get a straight shot of air at the filter now.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
That's a great McGyver solution!

I'm not sure about the angles involved but can't a Mustang GT JLT Series II bottom housing with the intake tunnel to the grille be rigged to work with the Cobra Jet intake tube & filter? For when you need to race with lights.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
We are having a heated debate about that. Part of me wants to make sure the rad gets all the air, and do away with the OEM snorkel.... While the other half says lets do both. You can see how the Ford CAI has the snorkel slot while the JLT does not. Blue ford, Red JLT.

1613609280587.png
1613609355381.png

The JLT series two looks a lot better, but its not for the CobraJet setup. It looks like a shorter filter and am not sure how it would fit.
1613609549407.png

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
We are having a heated debate about that. Part of me wants to make sure the rad gets all the air, and do away with the OEM snorkel.... While the other half says lets do both. You can see how the Ford CAI has the snorkel slot while the JLT does not. Blue ford, Red JLT.

View attachment 62698
View attachment 62699

The JLT series two looks a lot better, but its not for the CobraJet setup. It looks like a shorter filter and am not sure how it would fit.
View attachment 62700
This is precisely why I chose the Cobrajet Cold air intake over several alternatives.
(Don't forget to bore and re shape the velocity stack)

That little snorkel leads up to the grill and is actually outside the face of the radiator so it doesn't interfere with flow.
So yes, you CAN have the best of both worlds. 👍

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Lol! thats high praise coming from you! All your stuff always looks top notch.
I actually thought of doing the same thing but couldn't bring myself to hack up my AJ Hartman Carbon Fiber headlight blanks.
AJ told me he thinks he only ever sold one set and I have them on Frankenstang. (bought them from @Albino500)
They are no longer available so outside of whatever prototypes he may have made this is all there is on the planet...would you cut those up? I couldn't do it.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Nope no way, these cost me about 35 bucks. So it was easy to hack away and see what it looked like.
Looks like a perfect solution to me.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Frank.JD.Perez

FJD Performance
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Pleasanton/Hayward, CA
i just went ahead and cut up the light i had. not like i cant go buy a new one hahah, also put the headlight cover over it to clean it up. works extremely well. @Slib has a setup similar on his 99 cobra

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Love it!
You think about finding a funnel that could fit where the lamp goes? I suppose you could cut off the base to allow max air.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Love it!
You think about finding a funnel that could fit where the lamp goes? I suppose you could cut off the base to allow max air.

istockphoto-1162283332-1024x1024.jpg

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
All excited for what we hope will be our first race next Sunday. For 2021 we will be using the full track at about 4.6km (2.875 miles for the un metric)

Get to try the Boss out in anger!!

1614393178365.png

The only video I have of the big layout is from one of our better drivers in a Superperformance Cobra.

1614393179528.png

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Fun video and it really shows what a handful the Cobra were and often still are. You have to bet his forearms are a bit sore after running the full track for awhile, ha. We are all looking forward to you getting the Red Rod back on track and videos of you running the full course will be highly anticipated. Best of luck and whip up on those Porch K Menzz!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
So far these are the cars we have for next Sunday. Quite the odd ball group.

• Subaru turbo 480whp
  • Nissan 350 Biturbo 480whp
  • Boss 302 468whp
  • Porsche GT3 475whp
  • Mustang GT 418whp
  • Nissan 370Z SuperCargado 480whp
  • M3 S/C 480whp
  • Cayman GT4 370whp
  • Cayman GT4 370whp
  • RX7 turbo 525whp
  • Nissan Bluebird Classico 350whp
Hoping for a few more cars. Two 20mn races. The R7 Hooisers are perfect for me becuase I wait till the boosted cars heat soak then try to go after them in the last laps. At least thats the theory. My tune is still leaving some WHP on the table but it will be safe!

TMO Supporting Vendors