The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Boss 302 in Chile Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well had a great first proper race with the new setup... Car was going strong, got second place n the first race and was about to take first in the second race... When Suddenly.... Ta! Da! my clutch exploded... leaving me parked off the track for the rest of the day with no podium... Ahh well that's racing!!

The new track was great and still have lots of room to get faster. But the GT3 with a new set of Cup R tires was impressive. My category is above 2:06

Qualified just behind my friends supercharged m3.
1615304518801.png

I guess its time for the Exedy Hyper. My spec 2+ was still good after 4 seasons but the Spec 3 lasted only four events..... Crack in the bell housing (but have several old ones)

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Congrats , super to see you got back on track and had a successful first race, and almost a win until you couldn't come through in the clutch ---- whoops, sorry that just popped out, ha. Always fun to hear how you do in Chile and did you happen to video the new track? Have a feeling the next time will be a win because you have made changes to your car that may not seem major, but they are enough that you definitely have some acclimation to accomplish. Since you were going to first prior to the clutch bomb, I know a Gold Medal placing is coming very soon.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Here is a video of my fastest lap of the day. As you can see still a little timid on whats basically our first time on the full track. Lots of room to go faster!! Selling my extra Apex rims and slicks to appease the pay pal gods so they will let me get an Exedy Hyper

In the V6L
Here is a video of my fastest lap of the day. As you can see still a little timid on whats basically our first time on the full track. Lots of room to go faster!! Selling my extra Apex rims and slicks to appease the pay pal gods so they will let me get an Exedy Hyper

What's the occasional double-ding sound? Are you getting text messages or something?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
What's the occasional double-ding sound? Are you getting text messages or something?

I know, tis a new phone and did not disable a bunch of options that I have no idea what they are for!! Just said no for the next time. Very irritating!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
It was a very hot day with temps over 90 degrees F. Gearbox did not overheat with temps around 240C max, but engine temps did get close to 290C so had to back off till we took the grill off then temps were fine.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
It was a very hot day with temps over 90 degrees F. Gearbox did not overheat with temps around 240C max, but engine temps did get close to 290C so had to back off till we took the grill off then temps were fine.
290°F? Oil temps? How hot with the grill off?

Glad to hear no engine issues otherwise.

And on the clutch...I agree about going Exedy, ...but I’d also consider one of the other series too, besides the hyper single. Good luck with the repairs regardless. Good showing, even though DNF. 👍

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
290°F? Oil temps? How hot with the grill off?

Glad to hear no engine issues otherwise.

And on the clutch...I agree about going Exedy, ...but I’d also consider one of the other series too, besides the hyper single. Good luck with the repairs regardless. Good showing, even though DNF. 👍

Yes, my bad, those temps are in F. Actually remembering well now, the Stock water temp was going to max, but the oil temps did not reach 300 degrees. With out the grill oil temps came down a bit but water temps did,

About the Exedy Hyper? would you recommend against a single? I imagine once I get my tune sorted, will be close to 480rwhp and 400 torque... maybe thats to close to the limit???

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Guess I am no longer a faithful supporter of Spec clutches. This cluth has no more then 4 track hours. Felt fine on the track
1615503922887.png
1615504188245.png

Guess things got hot and the rivets failed, and then the pucks made an exit.......
1615503965182.png

Maybe now the tranny will run cooler now?

1615504155895.png

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Lol. Not gonna correct that. Must be Freudian

Well, dingles aside, I really only drive too and from the track now, or to log it when traffic allows... the car tends to attract a fair amount of attention!! Guess I am looking for the best performance with some decent life. Getting tired of having the car up on the hoist.

Sent emails off to Kohr and Capaldi racing for suggestions.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I think I know the answer, but would you consider the bell housing as toast? Or " Just put a window in it " I do have two more in good condition.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
I think I know the answer, but would you consider the bell housing as toast? Or " Just put a window in it " I do have two more in good condition.
Toasty. Recycle it.
Something tells me maybe we should look inside, but every time we do it means more dingle.....
Well, as long as you don’t find more blue twine dingle. That was pretty messed up. I hope you can laugh about that now.
Well, dingles aside, I really only drive too and from the track now, or to log it when traffic allows... the car tends to attract a fair amount of attention!! Guess I am looking for the best performance with some decent life. Getting tired of having the car up on the hoist.

Sent emails off to Kohr and Capaldi racing for suggestions.
Good idea. 👍

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well tranny is in the shop to switch the case, and trying to make up my mind between a Exedy Hyper single and Mcleod RST twin disk. Surprised to see that they are pretty close in price. Probably worrying to much about it but the 470 rwhp is on 93 pump gas, so we could see bigger numbers in the future.

Race day is less the a month away!! Looks like the grid will be 20 cars this time round.

TMO Supporting Vendors