The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Boss 302 in Chile Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Matt--the flywheel is not a slip-fit. You line it up with the holes correctly (as it looks you have done--it only fits one way--and DON'T forget the pulse ring!) then get each of the bolts started by hand. Then use an alternating/star pattern (as shown in the engine assembly manual) to pull the flywheel onto the back of the crank (you will do a few "rounds" of the star pattern) and get it seated. Then you final torque it.
This is exactly my experience as well. It was tight but went on with encouragement.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Thanks, Strange... the crank measures 1.7496" and the flywheel is 1.7441", thats 0.0055" smaller then the crank... And thats on both cars. Going to gently polish them to get at least the same size.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Thanks, Strange... the crank measures 1.7496" and the flywheel is 1.7441", thats 0.0055" smaller then the crank... And thats on both cars. Going to gently polish them to get at least the same size.
I wouldn’t do that.

Getting an accurate I.D. measurement isn’t as easy as it sounds. By the time you get to ‘matching’ I.D. and O.D. measurements, the fit of the two parts will be loose.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I wouldn’t do that.

Getting an accurate I.D. measurement isn’t as easy as it sounds. By the time you get to ‘matching’ I.D. and O.D. measurements, the fit of the two parts will be loose.
I know is worrying me a lot! We are on total lockdown again so I cant even go see the car. Nervous

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I wouldn’t do that.

I'll second that. For tolerances this close you really need inside and outside micrometers, not a pair of calipers.
I would not play with this, go with the parts as delivered and install as previously outlined.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I'll second that. For tolerances this close you really need inside and outside micrometers, not a pair of calipers.
I would not play with this, go with the parts as delivered and install as previously outlined.
Yes doble checked, it was with a interior micrometer.... But not at all comfortable....

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Thanks everyone....safe and sound. My mechanic walked over to the local machine shop and left the two flywheels (with a used Crank to check), with the shop owner ... the old timer checked them and called my guy to say take them away, they are fine as they are... right at the tightest tolerances, so he left them as is..... What a relief.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Actually very happy with my mechanic. Couple years ago I changed my transmission by myself with my back on a cold stone floor.... I thought, I am too old for this shiznit... Hoping to get him some time in the seat so he can be my co/driver if we end up having a endure this year. At least thats what I tell him when ever he hands me the bill!! :D Does not seem to work...

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Looking forward for the South American Stallion to be back on track stomping those Poorchaz ! Glad you got some good news and do post when you get back to tracking. Chillin in Chile has been getting old and with Copper hitting super high prices I am sure you and everyone in your industry can not wait to get back to supplying the World!"?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
More like a Burro from the Barrio!! Yes, things are looking up but politicians have a incredible gift at screwing everything up... Fingers crossed. looks like the roaring Twenties are back..... Hope history does not repeat its self again!!!

Funny, but all the loose cash is already having weird effect, even down here at the end of the World. Prices for used Mustangs and camaros have doubled in the last few months. A 2014 Mustang went from US17.000 to US30.000 in the last two months.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Interesting ..............chip shortage and autos have gone up Worldwide. My Ram Truck was worth around 16-18 a year ago and now it is 21-23K, and it is a 2014! Time to buy chip stock , we missed the dip -- chive on!

TMO Supporting Vendors