The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Boss 302 in Chile Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Yes, think that was the idea. It did not seem to help much as his lap times were pretty much the same. His car is very hard to pass with Nitro, just had to wait for a mistake and get him on braking.

Was a exciting day at the track yesterday. Full of fuss and feathers. Spun in the qually round and could not get the car started, had to get towed to the pits to disconnect the battery and then rush back out for one lap before the 20min time limite. All the agitation lead to a PB of 2:04.6 and pole. Was doing well in the first race and on the last lap my rad hose sprung a leak and dumped my water... towed back to the pits... Second race something went clunk with the clutch on the second to last lap... and you guessed it, got towed back to the pits.

At least my times were ahead of the competition by quite a bit. The two GT4s that competed were a second behind. Oh, and three of my last Hoosiers were down to the cords at the end of the day. :banghead:

On the bright side, new slicks should bring my times down. Always have to look at the bright side!!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Yes, think that was the idea. It did not seem to help much as his lap times were pretty much the same. His car is very hard to pass with Nitro, just had to wait for a mistake and get him on braking.

Was a exciting day at the track yesterday. Full of fuss and feathers. Spun in the qually round and could not get the car started, had to get towed to the pits to disconnect the battery and then rush back out for one lap before the 20min time limite. All the agitation lead to a PB of 2:04.6 and pole. Was doing well in the first race and on the last lap my rad hose sprung a leak and dumped my water... towed back to the pits... Second race something went clunk with the clutch on the second to last lap... and you guessed it, got towed back to the pits.

At least my times were ahead of the competition by quite a bit. The two GT4s that competed were a second behind. Oh, and three of my last Hoosiers were down to the cords at the end of the day. :banghead:

On the bright side, new slicks should bring my times down. Always have to look at the bright side!!
Did you mean "Nitro" or "Nitrous" ?
Congrats on the PB but boo on the DNF's.
I've had my share of them as well lately so I feel ya on this....

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Am just waiting for it to blow up, but no puff of smoke so far :idontknow:. He gets about 530 rwhp when he hits the Nitrous button. Its a pain as he blasts by me on the starting grid then I get stuck behind him till he makes a mistake.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Am just waiting for it to blow up, but no puff of smoke so far :idontknow:. He gets about 530 rwhp when he hits the Nitrous button. Its a pain as he blasts by me on the starting grid then I get stuck behind him till he makes a mistake.
We have a GT1/SP car that I usually run neck n neck and often beat. He reciently made some change
That's where the light at the end of the tunnel stays...;)
And hopefully its not a train.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Its looking like it might be the brand new clutch.... Chuuu CHuu.... chuga chuga chuga.........

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I think we have something similar happening here....this guy in the GT1/SP car usually qualifies within a couple 10ths of me, sometimes faster, sometimes slower. He can barely keep up with me and then SUDDENLY he squirts by for a pass....then when when we get to the main straightaway we have THIS:
(see video from 3.50 to 5:42)

So he qualified within a couple 10's but in the race he finishes 19 seconds ahead in only about 14 laps....how does that happen? I usually dog him for the whole race but he suddenly has something new going on...wonder what it is?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well, let me just post some pics from last Sunday.....

1632942406879.png

1632942425429.png

Flywheel and press look fine.... DIsc is D.O.A... winged it and went with Exedy part number DH27D. I guess we found the odd vibration?

Exedy said either a catastrophic shift or a bad install. Apparently its very, very rare. Look at me! I am special! :ohdamn:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Well, let me just post some pics from last Sunday.....

View attachment 68951

View attachment 68952

Flywheel and press look fine.... DIsc is D.O.A... winged it and went with Exedy part number DH27D. I guess we found the odd vibration?

Exedy said either a catastrophic shift or a bad install. Apparently its very, very rare. Look at me! I am special! :ohdamn:
The magnum XL comes with a scatter shield....just one more reason to consider one.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

TMO Supporting Vendors