The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Boss 302 in Chile Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Then again.... if the heads are shot then would be looking for a whole engine.... a complete gen3? But would would i do with my cobra jet manifold and TB setup...

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well, still waiting for the autopsy.... If the heads are shot then its probably going to be a gen 3 (M-6006-M50C) long block.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well, still waiting for the autopsy.... If the heads are shot then its probably going to be a gen 3 (M-6006-M50C) long block.
Then again not sure about things like fuel system with return line and all the other electronics related to the pcm etc etc etc ... really hoping that the heads are fine

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Then again.... if the heads are shot then would be looking for a whole engine.... a complete gen3? But would would i do with my cobra jet manifold and TB setup...
Retain them.
I think you have to use gen 1 cams and phasers to work with your computer. Ask shaun about that.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
This is a Gen3 5.0 short block not 5.2.
I asked Shaun about that and he said it has the same bore/stroke as a 5.2 GT350 but is not a GT350. (No flat plane crank)

29952523-BC38-4BD8-A9FF-C38DF4ED3B87.jpeg

A complete Gen3 engine will require the gen3 control pack which requires a return fuel system. Cobra jet manifold/TB will work but you'll need an adapter cable to TB as the gen3 uses different electronics and will most likely have to play with the fuel tubes around the manifold because of the direct injection lines. Apparently the gen3 control pack doesn't work with F150 engines so a cheap truck engine is out.
And yes, the ECM generation has to match the engine generation. (short block doesn't care though).
If you have performance cams, they will not transfer to the gen3 heads.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
A complete Gen3 engine will require the gen3 control pack which requires a return fuel system. Cobra jet manifold/TB will work but you'll need an adapter cable to TB as the gen3 uses different electronics and will most likely have to play with the fuel tubes around the manifold because of the direct injection lines. Apparently the gen3 control pack doesn't work with F150 engines so a cheap truck engine is out.
And yes, the ECM generation has to match the engine generation. (short block doesn't care though).
If you have performance cams, they will not transfer to the gen3 heads.
yup thats why I am praying for the heads to be ok, Porting took 7 months (they give more cfm then I can use, 330+ cfm)...... never mind the LM cams etc.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Here we go:
bore and stroke.PNG

And more info attached if you don't already have it:

Attachments

• COYOTE_TECH_GUIDE_062819.PDF
    2.8 MB · Views: 2

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
bore stroke.PNG

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
5. 2.PNG

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
That Turbo Charger you posted a picture of should fit right on that engine.
No more forced induction for me...too much hassel, complexity and weight.
Besides, my brakes last waaayyyy longer now.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Goals often start out lofty and then one's credit cards determine the angle of the loft curve, ha.
Missed a lot of this Season , so I can relate to your frustration, but got info this am that the beast is again running and ready to race, wish me luck ......

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors