The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Boss 302 in Chile Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Lol... actually I was being conservative!! or thought I was. Time to loss the radio, speakers etc etc and tumble down the rabbit hole. 12:1 and race gas with matching tune, should do the 50hp trick. We are...oops (were..) at 470 rwhp with pump gas LoL. Still waiting to hear about the heads though....

Maybe some wild cams??

Oh, before I forget,... because we cant get Amsoil down here, I filled the tranny with redline. Amsoil was so much better! so will stock up with the next importation.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Lol... actually I was being conservative!! or thought I was. Time to loss the radio, speakers etc etc and tumble down the rabbit hole. 12:1 and race gas with matching tune, should do the 50hp trick. We are...oops (were..) at 470 rwhp with pump gas LoL. Still waiting to hear about the heads though....

Maybe some wild cams??

Oh, before I forget,... because we cant get Amsoil down here, I filled the tranny with redline. Amsoil was so much better! so will stock up with the next importation.
Shaun says "Intake only" and stock exhaust cams are best...bigger cams have too many compromises from stressing the valve train to shifting torque up to higher RPMs but sacrificing too much in the lower/mid RPMs.
The last thing I need is to sacrifice any reliability. Most of the killer coyote guys I know of that have gone hog wild on big azz and or locked out cam motors never make the kind of HP they thought they would and inevitably suffer from some form of broken parts to broken wallet syndrome. He says he can build a 550+ rwhp motor with all stock parts and the above cams. (with some massaging) Easy on the motor and the wallet. He has my attention.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Yup, its true, have been happy with my LM intake cams. If my heads are alive then I have every thing ready to swap to the gen 3 shortblock. 550 Hp would be total jackpot. My cobrajet mani with the twin 67mm would have a nice home!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Was wondering. E85 is pretty expensive down here (makes no sense). Its about 20% more then 98 octane race gas. If you had a choice would you go e85 or 98?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Was wondering. E85 is pretty expensive down here (makes no sense). Its about 20% more then 98 octane race gas. If you had a choice would you go e85 or 98?
I use it primarily because it’s cheap. The added cooling and octane is a nice bonus but in your case I’d go with the 98. That’s almost 100 and that’s good enough IMHO. However……I’d let Shaun give you his opinion.

Last edited:

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
I filled the tranny with redline. Amsoil was so much better!
Which Redline did you use? Haven't used it in the Boss, but the Miata was much happier with the thicker MT-90 than MTL. Just guessing, but the higher viscosity may help "drag" the synchros together more easily.

Doing some reading, it looks like Ford originally spec'ed 75w-90 for the MT-82, which matches the MT-90. But then they switched to a straight 75w DCT fluid. MTL is a 75w-80, so it's close but not an exact match for viscosity. Looks like Redline has a new MT-LV 70w/75w and they're showing it as compatible with Ford XT-11-QDC & Ford WSS-M2C200-D2. So maybe that's the new go-to Redline flavor?

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Rumor ( from Ford ) was that during cool start up the complaints of gears grinding or hard initial shifts caused the switch to a lighter weight. Based on the idea that most drivers will never track or autocross their cars , etc. In doing extensive mods on Vipers at Woodhouse Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep and Ram we found no more than 10-15% ever really used all the mods. We have seen similar numbers with virtually all makes. So count yourself in a select group of humanoids who use their chariots as intended!!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Which Redline did you use? Haven't used it in the Boss, but the Miata was much happier with the thicker MT-90 than MTL. Just guessing, but the higher viscosity may help "drag" the synchros together more easily.

Doing some reading, it looks like Ford originally spec'ed 75w-90 for the MT-82, which matches the MT-90. But then they switched to a straight 75w DCT fluid. MTL is a 75w-80, so it's close but not an exact match for viscosity. Looks like Redline has a new MT-LV 70w/75w and they're showing it as compatible with Ford XT-11-QDC & Ford WSS-M2C200-D2. So maybe that's the new go-to Redline flavor?
I bought Amsoil oil but it was crushed on the way down here so I could only save 1L of it. Added MT90 for a total of 4.5L. With the tranny pump and cooler I use a lot more oil then stock.

Got some more amsoil on the way.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I bought Amsoil oil but it was crushed on the way down here so I could only save 1L of it. Added MT90 for a total of 4.5L. With the tranny pump and cooler I use a lot more oil then stock.

Got some more amsoil on the way.
I use amsoil atf in mine

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Yes,, I saw that Ben Calimer also suggested putting in Amsoil ATF in the mix with some Amsoil gear oil. going to look that up again.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well, going to send the heads to the shop as they do have damage..... As you can see!!

1634947130612.png

Might be looking for some used Gen2 heads if anybody knows anything, give a shout...

Will probably send the Boss heads and these ported ones to shop and see if we can rescue them.

1634947270404.png

The rest of the pistons are not too bad, but you can see were bits and pieces of number 6 did some beating around... Worried about damaged valve seats etc.

1634947356033.png

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Well, going to send the heads to the shop as they do have damage..... As you can see!!

View attachment 69500

Might be looking for some used Gen2 heads if anybody knows anything, give a shout...

Will probably send the Boss heads and these ported ones to shop and see if we can rescue them.

View attachment 69501

The rest of the pistons are not too bad, but you can see were bits and pieces of number 6 did some beating around... Worried about damaged valve seats etc.

View attachment 69502
Oh man. that's painful to see.....any idea what let loose?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Ugly to say the truth..... Its not all apart yet but the engine turns over by hand easily enough and the con rod of the piston that went is still attached to the crank. Either the pin gave away on the Wiseco piston or the Block broke at the weak point from the overheating the previous race.

Shaun mentioned why did we use RTX copper on the heads... not sure what that is but it was installed with just the OEM gasket and nothing else... Maybe its because of the reddish colour?? Noticed that on on other engines. Sunoco 260 gtx has the same product as the octane boosters that leaves everything orange. My guess thats what he is referring to?

EDIT: DOUBLE CHECKED WITH MECHANIC AND HE DID USE RTX... WAS NEWS |T ME..... maybe that did not help much as it might make a plane of weakness.

Putting out the word for some used Gen2 heads though they seem hard to find.

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well I think I have my next and hopefully last build for quite a while...

Gen 3 short block
Livernois stage 2 gen1 heads 335cfm @ 0.50. No Gen 2 heads available.
Boundry Oil pump with backing plate.

and all the rest of the stuff I can rescue from the old motor.

Credit card is going to hurt but am starting to feel good about this soon to be motor.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well most of the goodies are on their way or already have arrived at my re-shipper. Adding the last minute things like new rad hoses and gen 3 head studs etc.

Found a source of affordable 96% Ethanol at last, So might be adding Ethanol to my 98 race gas. Just shopping for 47 lbs injectors and I think we might have some lying around down here. Running cooler has become a very real goal now that I seem to be collecting dead blocks.

Really too bad as the car was sorted out quite well now. With the new engines help I should be able to do well against the growing field of cayman GT4 cars. The bump in compression and fuel changes has me hoping for 500rwhp.

I think I mentioned before that I tried out some new Chinese slicks (Zeknova). Only got about 8 laps on them and was just getting used to the taller rubber (300/680-18). But you can see right away that they are not Hoosiers... Not terrible either. But I would guess at least 1.5 seconds slower which basically makes then noncompetitive.

I did manage to pick up 9 Dunlop slicks for a great price. The local GT3 Cup cars use them for one day (4 cycles) and then basically toss them away. From what I have seen on other cars they are as fast as Hoosiers..... Have to wait and see if that's true.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Well most of the goodies are on their way or already have arrived at my re-shipper. Adding the last minute things like new rad

I think I mentioned before that I tried out some new Chinese slicks (Zeknova). Only got about 8 laps on them and was just getting used to the taller rubber (300/680-18). But you can see right away that they are not Hoosiers... Not terrible either. But I would guess at least 1.5 seconds slower which basically makes then noncompetitive.

I did manage to pick up 9 Dunlop slicks for a great price. The local GT3 Cup cars use them for one day (4 cycles) and then basically toss them away. From what I have seen on other cars they are as fast as Hoosiers..... Have to wait and see if that's true.
Some of the SMG mustangs are using nankangs and say they are as fast as Hoosiers and wear like iron.
This is coming directly from a very accomplished and reputable source. Interesting to say the least.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Well most of the goodies are on their way or already have arrived at my re-shipper. Adding the last minute things like new rad hoses and gen 3 head studs etc.

Found a source of affordable 96% Ethanol at last, So might be adding Ethanol to my 98 race gas. Just shopping for 47 lbs injectors and I think we might have some lying around down here. Running cooler has become a very real goal now that I seem to be collecting dead blocks.

Really too bad as the car was sorted out quite well now. With the new engines help I should be able to do well against the growing field of cayman GT4 cars. The bump in compression and fuel changes has me hoping for 500rwhp.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Is shaun assembling your engine?

TMO Supporting Vendors