The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Boss 302 in Chile Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I Have sen lots of Nanking AR1 semislicks. Didi they come out with a full slicks now? I think I saw that they use the semi slicks on rental cars at Nurmburgring.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I Have sen lots of Nanking AR1 semislicks. Didi they come out with a full slicks now? I think I saw that they use the semi slicks on rental cars at Nurmburgring.
the ones I saw were about toast but clearly had some sort of tread pattern like a NT01 or similar.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
There was an Orange and also a White s197 behind me in some of my recent videos that had them on. Though I was only driving at about 7/10's much of the race to save my precious Hoosiers they kept up quite well in spec mustangs with stock 3v motors. I was very impressed.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
There was an Orange and also a White s197 behind me in some of my recent videos that had them on. Though I was only driving at about 7/10's much of the race to save my precious Hoosiers they kept up quite well in spec mustangs with stock 3v motors. I was very impressed.
Hmm,,, will take a look. Sounds promising.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
No, that will have to be done down here, its realy hard to organize something like that form long distance.
Man, I'd ship all the parts to shaun and have him build the motor and ship it complete if I could.
That's the best odds of having it stay together.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well here we go!! Thanks to Fabmans recommendation, My Livernois stage 2 gen1 heads and gen3 short block are off to see the wizard! Shaun at AED was kind enough to accept my new engine bits and will be building by engine along the lines of what Sal has, with all the secrets etc. It will be in my hands in 2022 but will be ready before the season starts. Hope to get lots of setup time before hand.

Now I can redo and lower the splitter, check the suspension and take car of a ton of small things now that the engineless car is at home. Tempted to strip out the interior but it does pain the soul a little.

Mean time I guess its off to the gokart track once a week to keep in form.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Ok, if i told the significant other that she could loose some weight, I would be homeless..

Well have lots of work to do for 2022. Now we have no less the six 718 Cayman GT4's, three Cayman GT4 clubsports...(fogetaboutit....) and one gt3. Our category is getting bigger and we are in the middle of a porsche invasion. If the world does not fall apart, or the sky doesnt fall down, things should be pretty good.! Now all I need is lighter Mustang with more HP!!

Oh, on another subject, The other day I went to see our race series as a spectator :(... And my friend (arch rival) in his s/c M3 had a interesting brake pad problem. In the last heat of the day, he switched to hawk DTC70 pads on a set of one day old 2pc bmw rotors. I told him they would eat his discs and he laughed at me thinking I was pulling his leg. Wow... one 20 min session basically left the rotors as scrap. The car went out with nice smooth discs and it came back with no discs... never see anything quite so bad before... I new hawks were rough on the discs but this was beyond anything I could imagine. The car was going 150mph before a big brake zone down to 50mph. Maybe they turn into disc eating monsters at that level?

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Seen it happen ,but also wonder about his brake ducting. We often assume folks racing have done this but I have seen instances where there are jury rigged set ups that get little air to the rotors/calipers, or some have nothing, stating they never have brake problems. Hot day , high speeds with continuous hard braking, it could be a combination of both. Imagine he may have just flipped the pads without scuffing and getting the prior pad residue off , also.

That all said, not a fan of Hawks .

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Yes, your right Bill, he had no brake ducts and put the pads on in a hurry with out scuffing. Poor BMW's dont have a TMO equivalent it seems. But after seeing that, I have really no interest in trying Hawks!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well being with out the Boss sucks!! Got so stir crazy that I dug an old friend out of the garage. needed new hoses and a major spider removal effort... But everything fired up ok. the shocks were gone and could not find oem shocks any anywhere on this planet... Well it was an excuse to buy some yellow racing coilovers and plunk them in... Very nice upgrade! Was nice to work on a car at home again!

Say hello to my little emotional support car! Any one want to guess what it is?

1637885783607.png

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Dang, thats was quicker then I thought.. Yup a 1990, Alfa 164, 3.0 v6, cams, ported heads and now....cheapo coil overs. funny but with only about 200 hp its surprisingly fun to drive. The engine sound is truly Italian.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well, looks like my engine will be made from brand spanking new parts, just looked at and rejected the cams as they are quite scored. they are off to the machine shop to polish and go up for sale down here for the Save the Boss fund. Engine parts are arriving at the builders and only waiting for some secret sauce parts to arrive.

Bought a new set of Gen1 LM intake cams and a stock exhaust set as well. Also bought a set of Synchrotech Carbon Synchros just in case. Since the gear box is sitting on my lap so to speak, seemed like a good idea to get them checked out.

Was thinking of going with the fluidyne 3 pass radiator as well, replacing the Mishimoto. It might make more sense to wait till the new engine is together though.... it might run cooler!!

TMO Supporting Vendors