The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Boss 302 in Chile Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Because I am a little motor sensitive I left the cut off at 7800rpm... the dyno read only to 7600rpm, not sure why? tire slip? they are TD340 tires. I logged the car and it was pulling to 7795rpm

If I went to 8000rpm we could see higher numbers. Will try again at my usual dyno that gave me 470 before. Also want to see some mods to the exhaust for the track sound check and to see what its like with track wheels and slicks. I did not like the way this dyno read torque in nm.

But to be honest 520 rwhp is just fine with me. I can see that the car is going to see more wear and tear at this power level
WhatsApp Image 2022-05-11 at 5.21.50 PM.jpeg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Because I am a little motor sensitive I left the cut off at 7800rpm... the dyno read only to 7600rpm, not sure why? tire slip? they are TD340 tires. I logged the car and it was pulling to 7795rpm

If I went to 8000rpm we could see higher numbers. Will try again at my usual dyno that gave me 470 before. Also want to see some mods to the exhaust for the track sound check and to see what its like with track wheels and slicks. I did not like the way this dyno read torque in nm.

But to be honest 520 rwhp is just fine with me. I can see that the car is going to see more wear and tear at this power level
View attachment 75859
No, that's great power, I'm pleased...I was just a little confused by the max power/rpm. I expected it to be higher, so maybe the dyno application was coloring that number. I was really hoping to move that peak up.
We'll see in week. I got a ton of work to do this weekend...

View attachment 75859

hmm something is off about that graph. By definition hp and tq cross at 5252rpm and in the above graph they cross at 6400ish.

Ah I think I see it now, it’s the torque scale is different than the hp scale. Very odd though how they generated that graph.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Yes, its a bit off and I don't really trust the torque chart. Am going to another more conventional Dyno later this month, trying out different race fuel options. Used this dyno because the garage I go to sends all its mustangs here. So they have a big data base of mustangs to compare to and the their HP numbers are pretty much as expected.. Though my motor kind of surprised everyone. A freakin anomaly!!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Yes, its a bit off and I don't really trust the torque chart. Am going to another more conventional Dyno later this month, trying out different race fuel options. Used this dyno because the garage I go to sends all its mustangs here. So they have a big data base of mustangs to compare to and the their HP numbers are pretty much as expected.. Though my motor kind of surprised everyone. A freakin anomaly!!
There’s no mystery in that….at least it’s no mystery to us. 😉
if you remember what I said the high end goal was. We are not too far off of that and there’s more to be had still. We are going to be very close indeed.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Yes! you did tell me.. but I was trying to be conservative so I would not be disappointed.. In the end, despite everything, 520 was a a chunk more then I expected. Very happy.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Yes! you did tell me.. but I was trying to be conservative so I would not be disappointed.. In the end, despite everything, 520 was a a chunk more then I expected. Very happy.
Me too, which is why I shared that only with you.
Will we get there...? We'll see soon enough.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Dialed in and waiting for your news.... Now I do have to find ways to drop a Db at the track. Dont have as much space available as you do though.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Dialed in and waiting for your news.... Now I do have to find ways to drop a Db at the track. Dont have as much space available as you do though.
I expect to get about what you did, which is more than a lot of people expected.
Dyno's vary also so there's that to keep in mind. I've heard Shauns dyno reads a bit low, but it gave me great numbers last year.
What we will know is the HP gain since I am dynoing the same car at the same dyno with the same tuner at the same time of year, so that will be our measuring stick.
We'll see what happens Thursday.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I had to re read this several times before I got it....my Musicians mind kept reading this as D Flat instead of Decibels. LOL. What is the Db limit at your track @ how many feel?

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Having Shaun there to do the fine tuning is a nice bonus.!!

Yesterday I went to a Time-attack event and ended up third in the open division. Was on a set of well used Dunlop takeoffs so was pretty happy with the results. The winner was a Subaru thats built for this particular small 1 mile track and the second place was to a Camaro SS with one of our only Pro drivers, both cars on Hoosiers. That camaro has about 20 hp less but a lot more torque. He is also about 300lbs lighter. So I could puff up my chest a little.
On a short uphill straight the Boss obliterated the tuned german cars, New M3's and M4's and a Rs6.

For once its a decent trophy!! They sent me a photo as I had bugged out by the time they closed up (not my paw). Most of our trophys are pretty lousy but this one stood out.

1652721169617.png

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I had to re read this several times before I got it....my Musicians mind kept reading this as D Flat instead of Decibels. LOL. What is the Db limit at your track @ how many feel?
they are working on the limit, but it looks like it will be around 100 decibals on the track. I was at 101.

Whole new criteria for sound limits has us all in limbo

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
they are working on the limit, but it looks like it will be around 100 decibals on the track. I was at 101.

Whole new criteria for sound limits has us all in limbo
@ how many feet?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
If you know where they are taking measurements from, and if its the same side at each track you run on some simple Laguna pipes will get you the last few decibels.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
the measurements where made from the finish line on the main straight, so about 8 to 10m
Measurements are typically taken from 50' or 100'. Not sure what the standard is in other countries.
Its also helpful to know which side they take them from....driver or passenger side.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Thats the stupid part... The sound equipment was set up on the left side of the track. But the hippie complaining about the noise is on the right side. I had mine setup for limiting sound to the Hippie

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Thats the stupid part... The sound equipment was set up on the left side of the track. But the hippie complaining about the noise is on the right side. I had mine setup for limiting sound to the Hippie
The Hippie is going to complain no matter what you do....I'd concentrate on pleasing the meter.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Measurements are typically 50' or 100'. Not sure what the standard is in other countries.
Its also helpful to know which side they take them from....driver or passenger side.
Standard!!! That is a big word for down here! Football stadiums (soccer) make more noise then we do!

TMO Supporting Vendors