The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Boss 302 in Chile Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Laguna pipes is probably the best quick fix I can think of.
After that, muffler change.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Am thinking that removing the rear OEM parachute diffuser, will give e plenty of room for Laguna pipes or a bigger muffler

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well, went to a more established Dyno that the locals dealers like BMW and Mercedes use for the new cars coming into Chile. Wanted to go to the same dyno I got 470rwhp with before and my since my previous numbers where higher then Fabman's run so wanted something more realistic.

Ended up with 503rwhp. So we are pretty much the same. Yeehaaaa!

1653100815410.png

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Well, went to a more established Dyno that the locals dealers like BMW and Mercedes use for the new cars coming into Chile. Wanted to go to the same dyno I got 470rwhp with before and my since my previous numbers where higher then Fabman's run so wanted something more realistic.

View attachment 76044
Looks like you surrendered 1,000 rpm before Sal!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
am wondering about that.. I took the car to 7800rpm, the log says it was 7800. But both dynos read to 7500rpm... wierd

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

View attachment 76044
Must be my hot rod electric water pump pushing me over the line.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Hmmm . Looked over my logs and I had a massive false knock from the chains this dyno uses. Going to have to see if they can just use straps. The knock mostly wnet away above 6000rpm so I think the final numbers will not change much!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well race day is on Sunday, and we have a 33% chance of getting rained out. This track has massive puddles so if its really coming down this pony is staying in the stables. We managed to get the noise down to 90db@6000rpm with the mic about 5 ft from the exhaust (with strange looking Laguna pipes).. So good to race on the noise front! Now that the car is much quieter I can hear all these popping and squeaking noises that were drowned out before. Feel like a hypochondriac! Whats wrong now!! etc etc

Have my sights set on a Porsche GT3 class leader(street version on R7's). He had to take of his race exhaust and put in the street version so I should have some more Hp then him now. Thats if my Laguna pipes don't stifle the beast too much. We had a field of 32 cars, but the threat of rain brought it down to just 23 cars. Am hoping the porsche GT4 cars get by the sound limits. It will be dull with out them.

Raised the rear end 2cm as the wing was pushing down the rear very close to the 315 tires. Going to try with a little more wing angle as well as it will be cold (about 45F). That and because of all the extra ponies the engine is putting to the rear tires! Its cold enough that we put on the street passenger door as the shell does not have any plexiglass yet. Was getting frozen on the drive to the track.
Fingers crossed!!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Well race day is on Sunday, and we have a 33% chance of getting rained out. This track has massive puddles so if its really coming down this pony is staying in the stables. We managed to get the noise down to 90db@6000rpm with the mic about 5 ft from the exhaust (with strange looking Laguna pipes).. So good to race on the noise front! Now that the car is much quieter I can hear all these popping and squeaking noises that were drowned out before. Feel like a hypochondriac! Whats wrong now!! etc etc

Have my sights set on a Porsche GT3 class leader(street version on R7's). He had to take of his race exhaust and put in the street version so I should have some more Hp then him now. Thats if my Laguna pipes don't stifle the beast too much. We had a field of 32 cars, but the threat of rain brought it down to just 23 cars. Am hoping the porsche GT4 cars get by the sound limits. It will be dull with out them.

Raised the rear end 2cm as the wing was pushing down the rear very close to the 315 tires. Going to try with a little more wing angle as well as it will be cold (about 45F). That and because of all the extra ponies the engine is putting to the rear tires! Its cold enough that we put on the street passenger door as the shell does not have any plexiglass yet. Was getting frozen on the drive to the track.
Fingers crossed!!
Go Get 'em!

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I would imagine quieting down the GT3 would also block that free flowing exhaust, so let us know how you hold up to him down the straights? I am sending Northern wind wishes to blow that rain down to Patagonia --heh, I have a 66% chance already!

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well Sunday morning was grey and wet. Could hardly keep the car on the track but things did get dryer in the afternoon. My qualy was dry but a cam sensor code left me with only my warm up lap to use so i was at the back of a small pack of cars. Had four GT4's and a GT3 in my category and I was second to last.

I like the part we enter the corner three cars side by side. Nice to see our category has become more mature.

DId managed to pass two of them and keep ahead for the rest of the first race but I am having a false knock problem again and the car felt about 40 hp down. it was harder to keep ahead of the GT4 cars. Need to get it sorted as its getting to be a real pain.

Sound was ok, with my car being the most silent mustang you can imagine. Sounded like a MachE :mad:. Everyone was a lot louder so for the second race I removed some of the plugs to make little more noise.

Second race had me higher up the grid, so I could make it two second place. Fun race. All the "normal" GT4 cars were stuck behind me and thats were they stayed for the rest of the race. Could not catch up to the gt3 though... maybe If I find those lost horses.

Ended up second overall for the day and picked up some good points. All the cars in my category were on new R7 tires so it was a pretty good test of the Boss vs Cayman battle.

The GT4 CS cars are much to fast... they still have no power but the handling is at another level. Well for US$240.000, it should be!

Last edited:

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Assume you were on a new set of Hoosiers too, and you should be quite proud of your runs, the GT4s are quick and they do handle unbelievably. Really love your posts and they are so much fun to listen to I signed up on Babble to learn Spanish, haha!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Thanks Bill. yes we were all on new rubber. Have to try to get up to the GT3 cars speed. Its going to be tough!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Well Sunday morning was grey and wet. Could hardly keep the car on the track but things did get dryer in the afternoon. My qualy was dry but a cam sensor code left me with only my warm up lap to use so i was at the back of a small pack of cars. Had four GT4's and a GT3 in my category and I was second to last.

I like the part we enter the corner three cars side by side. Nice to see our category has become more mature.

DId managed to pass two of them and keep ahead for the rest of the first race but I am having a false knock problem again and the car felt about 40 hp down. it was harder to keep ahead of the GT4 cars. Need to get it sorted as its getting to be a real pain.

Sound was ok, with my car being the most silent mustang you can imagine. Sounded like a MachE :mad:. Everyone was a lot louder so for the second race I removed some of the plugs to make little more noise.

Second race had me higher up the grid, so I could make it two second place. Fun race. All the "normal" GT4 cars were stuck behind me and thats were they stayed for the rest of the race. Could not catch up to the gt3 though... maybe If I find those lost horses.

Ended up second overall for the day and picked up some good points. All the cars in my category were on new R7 tires so it was a pretty good test of the Boss vs Cayman battle.

The GT4 CS cars are much to fast... they still have no power but the handling is at another level. Well for US$240.000, it should be!
Beautiful country.

Bill Pemberton

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Geez, Mad, you really are living up to your name, since a good GT3 driver will run away from almost anything, but you are accepting the challenge and plan to teach him a valuable lesson ---- don't mess with the Red Steed of Santiago!

TMO Supporting Vendors