The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Boss 302 in Chile Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
I got out the calculator and just priced the 1/4" version. it would cost me about US$1,250 all in price, delivered to my door

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Rats... My buddies S197 GT is putting down 570 rwhp with NOS now. Can't believe that it has not blown up yet. Got to keep infront of him on the grid or he will take me several laps to pass and the GT4 cars will escape.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I got out the calculator and just priced the 1/4" version. it would cost me about US$1,250 all in price, delivered to my door
I'd do it.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Its on my shopping list!!! Mean time just getting ready for tomorrows race. So many goodies to buy.... cortex rear axle, SLA front suspension etc etc Bu they are far off into the future. I guess as far as HP goes I am just fine... Cars a little overweight though.

The car to catch is a Porsche GT3, but thats been an elusive quarry. But maybe this time I can get closer to him.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Well that was a fun sunday at the track. No trophies but some great racing and a new PB.

Quallys went great! Fixing the timing chain really helped smooth out the knock problem and the car was fast.

1656961344237.png

I bungled a yellow flag restart with a baulky shifter that locked me out of fourth for some reason. Have too work on my starts/restarts :rolleyes:.

My previous best was 1:10.1 so it was a 1.3 second drop. Happy with that!!
Oddly enough the first sessions were with well used Dunlops that I gave a wd40 treatment too. The last was with Hoosiers and the best lap times were all within a few tenths. Was a total idiot and left my cell camera on the wrong settings so I just recorded my left eye instead of the track infront.

Will see if any of the live streaming we had caught some of the action. Going to have to get in shape, the last race of the day was only 20min but it left me walking like a old man.

Was too cold for the track girls!! was surprised at the lap times considering it was about 50 degrees F.

First race I was 2nd in category till I bungled it. Which left me far behind for the second race. Managed to get third in that one at least. Was a great race with 5 cars battling it out and changing positions.

This was on the short setup for this track, which benefits the gt4's. They seem to be really worried about the Boss for the next race on the long version.

Oh!! the nitrous mustang with 570 rwhp blew up... Car switched from its AED tune to a local one, gained 20hp and promptly threw a rod out the side.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Well that was a fun sunday at the track. No trophies but some great racing and a new PB.

Quallys went great! Fixing the timing chain really helped smooth out the knock problem and the car was fast.

View attachment 77184

I bungled a yellow flag restart with a baulky shifter that locked me out of fourth for some reason. Have too work on my starts/restarts :rolleyes:.

My previous best was 1:10.1 so it was a 1.3 second drop. Happy with that!!
Oddly enough the first sessions were with well used Dunlops that I gave a wd40 treatment too. The last was with Hoosiers and the best lap times were all within a few tenths. Was a total idiot and left my cell camera on the wrong settings so I just recorded my left eye instead of the track infront.

Will see if any of the live streaming we had caught some of the action. Going to have to get in shape, the last race of the day was only 20min but it left me walking like a old man.

Was too cold for the track girls!! was surprised at the lap times considering it was about 50 degrees F.

First race I was 2nd in category till I bungled it. Which left me far behind for the second race. Managed to get third in that one at least. Was a great race with 5 cars battling it out and changing positions.

This was on the short setup for this track, which benefits the gt4's. They seem to be really worried about the Boss for the next race on the long version.

Oh!! the nitrous mustang with 570 rwhp blew up... Car switched from its AED tune to a local one, gained 20hp and promptly threw a rod out the side.
You cant win if you don't finish...I hope he learned a lesson there.
I know about feeling old getting out of the car....at least you aren't fat too. Bad combo, believe me.
Sounds like you are happy with where the car is and I'm stoked about that. Best of luck in this next one coming up!

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Thanks! It was one of the cases when the driver was the weak point, it was not the cars fault, it went like a champ. I should have ended up second or third if my head was screwed right that day. The GT3 is in reach but some time in the future....maybe.

Will work on the shifter dramas....

Here is the video of the second race. The Subaru is probably one of the fastest in Chile with a great driver. My category is from the GT3 down to the other red mustang.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Third fastest time, caught the GT4 right at the end of the race, looked like a good run in a car you were just getting reacquainted with?! Fun video, even though my Spanish consists mainly of taco, burrito, and salsa!

Last edited:

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Have my next official race on the 7th of August. Mean time I got invited to run at small track with a new group this weekend. Seems a bit hairy as they do not have much safety requirements, its mainly a Chevy crowd and they want a Ford to pick on.

1658333988784.png

Invited means I can run for free, but racing a convertible vette w2w......

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
Have my next official race on the 7th of August. Mean time I got invited to run at small track with a new group this weekend. Seems a bit hairy as they do not have much safety requirements, its mainly a Chevy crowd and they want a Ford to pick on.

View attachment 77610

Invited means I can run for free, but racing a convertible vette w2w......
Just make sure you're far enough ahead that it's not an issue.

TMO Supporting Vendors