The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 Boss 302 in Chile Build Thread Profile - S197 Mustangs

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Oh boy, hungry.... no idea whats for tonights din dins...

First race was me falling asleep at the starting grid... what a bad start!!! By the end of the short race (yellow flag), the Dunlop slicks were toast

1668370357801.png

Second race missed a shift at the grid and again got stuck way back. Did not want to go into third.
But had a bit of luck and up second in class.

Found out what the weird vibration that has be bothering for ages now... its rather embarrassing.... I told the Luis, my mechanic, that it feels like a pretty bad falseknock when in third gear coming out hard from the faster curves. So we jacked up one side of the car to see what it could be.... And to get a good look, we really jacked up on side, when....Plop, the engine shifted on its mounts.... The BMR poly engine mounts had become gooo and the engine was just slopping around on the mounts!!! the engine was knocking alright, but no the way I thought.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Following in the lines of the typical TMO hot tip.... Put the 3D printer to work and made some Gurny flap for the hood vents.

1668819392306.png

Now the Hood grills finally worked. Engine temps went down from 240F to 210 on a hot day.

Solid Aluminum motor mounts are arriving on Monday, but too late for a friendly race this weekend at a Cars and Coffee event. Its mainly a show race so will not be too stressed. Thats what they say anyways... Once the flag drops who knows.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
In the end everyone went for it. Sorely missing my lost hp though. Next race is the final for the season and I truly want to beat a particular GT4. If we find the lost HP with the engine mount fix, we should be set to go. Going to end up fourth overall this season regardless, You don't win series if you don't show up, had to sit out 3 of the 10 races this season.

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
I think a lot of it is the rolling of the R's. It just makes it flow. The "Moostang" is a nice touch too.
I like “Matt-Hew Toom-son……

TMO Supporting Vendors