The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss 302 Laguna Seca at VIR - 11/13/11

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
First event I've driven at VIR as well as with the new Boss. Coming off of an AWD Quattro with a DSG (paddle shift) tranny has been quite a change! Car ran great, kept the nannies on for two days while I get used to the new ride. Still amazes me how well mannered the rear end of the LS is. Shocks were set to 5 up front and 4.5 in the rear, Pirelli's running at 36 lbs hot. Hit just about 145 on the long straight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATQtSFhMCd8

Anyone very familiar with VIR (ChuckP ?) that would like to comment on suggestions on the lines please feel free. And yes, that second Lotus with the supercharger was pissing me off ! ;D

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Thanks Chris. Yes, it's a GOPRO HD with the suction mount right on the top of the left side bumper. Since the top of our bumpers are flat it makes it real easy. Since the camera is so far left on the car it makes it look like I was missing the right side turtles, I may try it dead-center of the bumper next event. I also have some video of the camera inside the car mounted on the harness bar.

A couple of minutes into the video you may notice that the camera tilted up a fair amount, one of the adjustabe joints wasn't tightened enough so the camera leaned back a bit onto the grill and changed the angle. Lot's of sky but you still see the track ;D The camera was running in 1080 HD mode, although the uploads to You Tube back it down to 720 (or it may the Mac video editing software, need to check that). Having the camera ouitside does make for pretty bad audio since all you hear is the wind noise.

One cool think I found at VIR - they sell a remote start/stop cable for the GOPRO HD. One of the flaggers at the track (Tony Oldham) had made up a wired remote that lets you start and stop the video without being near the camera itself. This was a great memory/battery savings since we normally have the start up the camera while leaving the paddock and waste 15 mins or so before we get on track. I bought one with an 8' cable and ran it under the hood and into the drivers side window. The cable attaches to the camera via the rear apron socket (actually an IPOD style comnnector) and had a momentary contact plunger-style switch at the drivers end. It's not a mass-produced and 'polished' item, it really looks more like a prototype. But it works.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Ron,

See my post in the Tech forum. I keep trying to upload pics (small 250 kb) but the site always says the upload folder is full...

In Short, price was $60 but he said he'd do $40 if I could get 10 or more orders in line. He'll do 3' to 8', same price. I'm not looking to make anything on this so if you order tell him I posted it up for him and he should bite on the $40 price. There is one think about the rear cover that needs to be modified. If you want to see pics send me email address and I'll send them directly to you or send me a personal message and I'll pass on Phone #.

-Pete

Anyone very familiar with VIR (ChuckP ?) that would like to comment on suggestions on the lines please feel free. And yes, that second Lotus with the supercharger was pissing me off ! ;D

Check out a guy I know on the u-tube 70machwon he has a 02 roush Mustang with a Griggs setup, he runs VIR all the time, good guy to talk to, email is on the tube. Planning a trip there next year for my LS.

OLOABoss

AKA OLOABoss
Big thing I noticed is you weren't making it down to most of your apex's. Camera may look neat fender mounted but for good feedback it should be cabin mounted so you can see corners of the car. Now for my pet peeve, cameras mounted by suction cups on the outside of the car are just accidents waiting to happen. I have seen what happens when 1 comes loose and hits another car. The camera owner was not happy with how much it cost him to replace a broken windshield. Rant over.

Peter

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Not sure what you mean by 'making it down' to apex's? Do you mean hitting them too early or not deep enough onto the turtles?

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Point taken. I think the camera angle is deceiving becuase it's left side mounted. The video looks like I hit the turtles on the left side but not on the right. In reality I went about 1' deep or more on both sides on most turns, not to say I didn't miss some ;D

As for the exterior mounting I agree there can be additional risk. I have yet to lose the suction mount on the GoPro but I have seen it happen, usually when someone mounts it on a less than smooth surface or on a rounded surface. I use a 'safety tether' when I exterior mount it. It's a thin braided steel cable covered by some heat strink tubing (to prevent scratching of bumper/grill/etc.) mounted to the camera mount stem and through the front grill. It's never actually been 'engaged' but I'm pretty confident the cable will hold if the suction cup does release.

Thanks for your input.

Great video, Pete. That's exactly what it looked like to me. Great on the left apexes but shallow on the right and I too think it was the camera. I have been to Summit Point but not VIR yet in my LS but have run it in my 06 GT. At my age I get a little nervous on the down hill section. I think I look too high into the horizon and not at the track.

Hey Pete...sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this. WISH I WAS THERE AT VIR WITH YOU!! Anyway, great job for your first VIR event. Other then going a tad wide in a few apexes you did a super job. Looking forward to seeing you at Watkins Glen or VIR next year (and hopefully Rocktman in his new LS!). I've only tracked my Boss at Summit Point and really want to do Watkins Glen and VIR with it!

PeteInCT

Connecticut
You got it ! I believe there's an April event at VIR and the NEQ always has an event at LRP in early May.

My wife says she'd like to retire in the Carolina's. NO ARGUMENT HERE ! ;D ;D ;D

TMO Supporting Vendors