The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

boss 302 lowering springs with supporting mods

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I just piked up a 2012 boss about 4 months ago thats all stock except the track key activated. Im looking to lower the car with ford t springs with a adjustable panhard bar. Is there anything else i should buy to do this correctly? Its gonna be tracked about 3

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
When I lowered mine I went with the "P" springs, the go to set before the "T" springs. I also went with the Ford adjustable panhard bar. While I was under the back of the car I swapped the stock LCAs for the Ford performance arms with the poly bushings.
To your question, "Is there anything else I should buy to do this corrrectly?". I would say that depends on your driving skill level, what you want from your car and budget. We sure can help you spend money. If saving cash is a priority, stick with your plan and see how she handles before you change anything else.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
a few miles east of Philly
I just piked up a 2012 boss about 4 months ago thats all stock except the track key activated. Im looking to lower the car with ford t springs with a adjustable panhard bar. Is there anything else i should buy to do this correctly? Its gonna be tracked about 3
Looks like some of your message went MIA. About 3 . . . what?

I'd go one step further and suggest doing at least one track day without physically swapping anything (I am assuming that the shocks and struts aren't too far gone here). You'd have a true baseline, and with a little luck a better idea of what the car needs first (which isn't necessarily springs).

Norm

I agree, learn the car stock first but most likely you will find the car undersprung and pretty soft for track use. I went with H&R race springs but they are pretty stiff for daily driving, perform awesome on track though. Good dampers go a long way as well.

Thanks for all the feed back. I think I'm just gonna run the car as is for this year. And in the winter change out the springs and supporting mods. Its gonna be done more for looks honestly, the fender to tire gap is terrible in the rear from factory. Its looks almost 4x4ish to me, and if it helps out in the handling department that be great. I'm not looking for a crazy drop. Just something to bring it down a little. I'm signed up for a hpde event in a week. But the class I was gonna go in (beginner) is all full. So hopefully can get to another event soon.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Feel free to post up a side view picture.

FWIW, you will notice drops as small as half an inch as you walk up close to the car to get into it. Once you're in the car, how well or not it conforms to popular appearance preferences isn't your visual problem any more (and your own weight will have taken another quarter inch or so out of the ride height).

Norm

Feel free to post up a side view picture.

FWIW, you will notice drops as small as half an inch as you walk up close to the car to get into it. Once you're in the car, how well or not it conforms to popular appearance preferences isn't your visual problem any more (and your own weight will have taken another quarter inch or so out of the ride height).

Norm
Yeah I noticed small changes in my foxes when i would put on the maximum motorsports suspension packages. They did a nice job on foxbodys in bringing it down a little bit but not making it terrible when you drove it on the street. I'm a experienced drag racer , but green as hell on a autocross/road course. So I'm probably won't even reach 75 percent of what this car can do just from the factory. But the boss is 1 of the cars on my list and who can't love a great car with a live axle. I really wish I would've got into the road course stuff instead of the drag racing. It just seems like that much more of a good time.

Norm Peterson

Corner Barstool Sitter
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Yeah I noticed small changes in my foxes when i would put on the maximum motorsports suspension packages. They did a nice job on foxbodys in bringing it down a little bit but not making it terrible when you drove it on the street. I'm a experienced drag racer , but green as hell on a autocross/road course. So I'm probably won't even reach 75 percent of what this car can do just from the factory. But the boss is 1 of the cars on my list and who can't love a great car with a live axle.
MM was one of the premier names on the corner-carving side of the Fox/SN95 Mustang aftermarket, back when Corner-Carvers.com and the Corral were busy places.

You've got plenty of time to develop some road course skill - I was 20 years older than you for my first track day session - and I would suggest getting some autocross experience along the way. At autocross (assuming properly set up courses that minimize risks) it's a lot easier and far safer to explore how your car behaves out closer to its limits. There are a few differences, though (your hands shouldn't have to be as busy on a road course as they're apt to get at autocross). And as a side note at this point, once you have some knowledge of what "the line" looks like you can practice following it to a limited extent even at normal street driving speeds in your daily driving, as a 'mental attitude reinforcement' kind of thing.

I really wish I would've got into the road course stuff instead of the drag racing. It just seems like that much more of a good time.
It's different. Not as intense as 12 seconds of fury trying to beat the guy in the other lane, but you'll be out there driving a different kind of 'hard' for about a hundred times longer than it takes to get from the tree to the traps on a run.

Norm

TMO Supporting Vendors