The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

BOSS 302 LS AT WATKINS GLEN

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OK ,got the Boss out on the track with the new brakes and bigger rear sway.My goal was no brake issues and getting rid of the dreaded understeer.Good news! Solved both problems! Now I just need to figure out how to get tires to last more than a day.I had Porsches for breakfast and lunch!
Here is some video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsGcYtYVeSE&feature=plcp

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Ron
The PCA guys must hate you, it's one thing to pass Boxsters, 993s and 996s but you are killing 997 GT3s and Turbos like they are autocross cones. That car is like a Grand Am GT car. Only thing is we have to get your data logger to record individual laps not an endless loop.
Steve

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Ron won't admit it but he was driving in the beginners group! :eek:

(PS: If you keep that up you will have those guys going back to Porsche and burning their cars in the front of the showroom ! ;D )

So I'm guessing your happy with the car now? ;D Wow you were flying. Have you had any shifting or overheating issues? You removed the clutch spring right? Have you installed the MGW shifter, JHR clutch line and or changed the tranny fluid? Are you using the 302S grille or removed the grille openings?

I remember when you were one of those guys in the Porsches, lol Ron.

How bad was the understeer stock? what kinda brake issues were you having?

I think I'm gonna go to the Nasa event there at the end of Sept. Not gonna take the Boss yet, gonna take old #90. I still have some stuff I wanna get daone on the Boss before it sees the track. You going to that event?

PeteInCT

Connecticut
AZ - His head is big enough ! We'll all need to chip in to buy him a bigger helmet soon !

(I love you too Ron ;D )

That is so funny !!!!!!! can you just imagine what was goin thru there heads as they were passed every time ($80.000 ? $100.000 and im getting spanked by $45.000 !!!!!!!!!!!!!) that is just unreal! i have got to find a track near north east texas to go play !!! Hell here all they got is drag racing and if one more punk in an SS camaro pulls up beside me and ask to drag race i think i'll just save my car and get out and beat the crap outta him!!!!! ;D ;D

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
WOW!

passing all those Porsches with their big wings , eating their lunch, and then going back for seconds!

There could be some interesting car conversations in the bar if you were to meet up with any of them...

DOT5,
Yes I have the MGW shifter.No I do not yet have the high flow clutch line in yet ,I hope on Wednesday .I did ditch the clutch spring.I have not changed from the stock fluids ,but I do think its time.What to use is the next question on the trans and rear diff.I did experience hard to get in forth gear when the trans was very hot .But never missed getting it int o gear.I am using the stock 2013 grill with the openings.My temp was 260 but no limp mode.
Kassser , Brakes are always an issue for me.I put in the 302r/s brakes .I must say they are absolutely spectacular.Flawless in fact .Cars are designed to have understeer for the normal consumer .The only way to reduce understeer is to slow down.This makes cars safe in the manufacturers mind .The under steer can be dialed out with in reason.But the 302 r/s set up is brilliant .I used the 22mm bar instead of the small one .The car is truly a sleeper and a gem.I just wish I could get my Hoosiers to last .I did 423 miles used 60 gallons of gas and 2 sets of Hoosiers .Ouch! But I can't wait to do it again!
The PCA guys were asking for rides! I must have given at least 8 rides.They could not get over the Mustang solid rear axel thing!The only 2 cars to pass me was a 997 cup car and souped up GT2RS .They both drove very well too.
My next car is going to be a GT2 .The PCA guys know who I am. And if they don't I really don't care! I just love to drive on the track! I only am programed one way.FLAT OUT! My wife said if I was willing to go slower I could save money on tires.I tried that for a half a lap.Once I a gt3rs went by I had to go after him!I guess I got issues!

Do you have the part numbers for the brakes and sway bars? I know I am personally disappointed with the brakes and really haven't had the opportunity to see what the car will do on the track. I did look at the Ford Racing catalog and they list Brembo brakes. Are they different than what's on the LS? Thanks for the info.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
wwilde001 said:
Do you have the part numbers for the brakes and sway bars? I know I am personally disappointed with the brakes and really haven't had the opportunity to see what the car will do on the track. I did look at the Ford Racing catalog and they list Brembo brakes. Are they different than what's on the LS? Thanks for the info.

Are you using stock pads? If so start there, most drivers find the stock calipers more than sufficient, however the stock pads are truly worthless for any kind of performance driving.

The brakes I got thru Capaldi racing. www.capldiracing.com Ask for Tim
NOT CHEAP BUT AWESOME!They are the 302 r/s racing brakes
The shock setting were 2 off full stiff in the front and 3 off full stiff in the rear.The front sway in the middle setting /Th e rear sway is the 22mm bar
Hope this help you guys.
Ron

wwilde001 said:
The brakes are fine on our cars. Ron's a nut and most won't push their cars like he does. I have 40 track days on the Boss using the stock brakes and have depressed hundreds of Porsche owners. Before spending 10k on a brake upgrade, get your car on a track and see how it does for you. All you need to start is to upgrade your fluid to DOT4 and give it a go. After you start pushing the car you'll want a more aggressive pad compound and SS brake lines.

roketman said:
The brakes I got thru Capaldi racing. www.capldiracing.com Ask for Tim
NOT CHEAP BUT AWESOME!They are the 302 r/s racing brakes
The shock setting were 2 off full stiff in the front and 3 off full stiff in the rear.The front sway in the middle setting /Th e rear sway is the 22mm bar
Hope this help you guys.
Ron
Ron that bar is from the GT and it's "softer" than the 26mm one that came on your car. It should reduce oversteer not increase it. I think you told me you were having understeer issues, which after you moved the front bar to a softer position it solved it.

GA
roketman said:
OK ,got the Boss out on the track with the new brakes and bigger rear sway.My goal was no brake issues and getting rid of the dreaded understeer.Good news! Solved both problems! Now I just need to figure out how to get tires to last more than a day.I had Porsches for breakfast and lunch!
Here is some video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsGcYtYVeSE&feature=plcp

I spent the weekend racing a FR500S on the Glen on iRacing. When I watch your video and then compare it to iRacing, it is just amazing how realistic the simulation is. My line and MPH were about the same as yours and the lap times were spot on. I definitely want to get up there sometime for a track weekend at least once.

TMO Supporting Vendors