The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 BOSS 302 Race Car Build Thread Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
The only hose is 4” and just to take up some small gaps between the bumper inlet and chute. The rest is just directed air. Hopefully it works lol

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Here are some photos. The deflectors will mount to the swaybar endlink bracket. No glamour shots but you get the idea.
DD939D4A-5AB5-4065-BB39-CAFB91F16247.jpeg

2A04497B-C6EF-4F2B-9E11-17D11537DCE6.jpeg

The problem with the GT350 ducting is that the wheel blocks flow under steering input during trail braking. Your ducts are further inboard and that will reduce the effect. It's not a huge issue on the 350 OE brakes because of the high mass of the rotor (30 lb) and it's physical size makes it a big target for non-directed flow. But when I went with the (smaller, lighter) AP Brakes and stock cooling, I averaged only 5 hours on front pads and 7 hours on Rotors with 350 cooling. Adding directed cooling to the inner rotor vanes more than doubled rotor life and increased pad life by 50%.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Good luck at the NASA Nationals , unless for some reason you decide not to attend? If that happens there are a bunch of us that would love to see your new beast at the Mustang Roundup -- even if you do whip up on the rest of us with Race prepped Stangs,ha!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
The problem with the GT350 ducting is that the wheel blocks flow under steering input during trail braking. Your ducts are further inboard and that will reduce the effect. It's not a huge issue on the 350 OE brakes because of the high mass of the rotor (30 lb) and it's physical size makes it a big target for non-directed flow. But when I went with the (smaller, lighter) AP Brakes and stock cooling, I averaged only 5 hours on front pads and 7 hours on Rotors with 350 cooling. Adding directed cooling to the inner rotor vanes more than doubled rotor life and increased pad life by 50%.

Yeah that is something I will have to keep an eye on. No great alternatives right now.

Bill next race is hopefully this weekend at INDE Motorsports Ranch. No Nationals or MPH for me this year. Will probably do some big hauls in 2020.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Sending you good (and fast) vibes.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Got the updated rear shocks in last night, they are on the car and I worked from about 7:30pm to about 2am finishing everything up, service bleeding the ABS, bleeding brakes, and getting the ride height and corner balance correct. Just need to give her a wash and throw her in the trailer, check toe at the track and we are all set :)

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Well, things didn't quite go according to plan this weekend. After initial setup and running a single session during my practice day, my steering felt really over-assisted and I noticed that one of the front wheels was out of alignment in the wheelwell. I re-set everything on the car during the rest of the day on Friday and Saturday AM, but ultimately what was happening that we neglected to realize at the time is that the forces that we were subjecting on the car were deforming the factory K-Member.

This car has been punished on the track for 8+ years at this point, so a combination of fatigue plus some incredible grip from sticker Michelin Pilot Sport S9M slicks actually caused the rear of the K to completely buckle on the driver's side under high compression/braking loads during my main race.

The good news is I didn't go in the wall, take out another car, or hurt myself, so the car itself will be repaired. CorteX is working on some reinforcements now for the mounting points that will both prevent this failure in the future and also keep me NASA Super-Touring rules-compliant, so I'll be back out there testing more eventually. The CorteX aftermarket K that I'm not allowed to run (without penalty at NASA) won't have this type of problem.

The other good news is that the car was EXTREMELY fast on that setup and I ran my best time by over a second even in 95* heat with minimal dial-in. I think in cooler weather with more time to test, the car will pick up another 1.5-2 seconds. The Michelins were worth 3 full seconds over sticker R7s on the same day...

I left the car in the trailer over the past week to just relax for a bit, but I'm planning on getting everything reinforced and tip-top again in-time for our big Thanksgiving event this year.

Here's a video of the last race I ran during the weekend as well as the failure of the K:

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
That's awesome and cruddy at the same time. Glad Cortex is helping you to sort it out even if it isn't a problem with their stuff.

Speaking of Cortex, I wish they would update their site to include that rear anti-roll bar you have and this SLA kit. Don't know if that's an option for them, would just be nice to "window shop" them.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
The SLA is on the website for sure, in two flavors. The bar is not there as that is “made to order”. The really nice thing about it is it adjusts with quick release pins. Very fast adjustment.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
The SLA is on the website for sure, in two flavors. The bar is not there as that is “made to order”. The really nice thing about it is it adjusts with quick release pins. Very fast adjustment.
It used to be on the Cortex site, I always like the simplicity of that design.
Easy adjustment=good IMHO.

TMO Supporting Vendors