The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

S197 BOSS 302 Race Car Build Thread Build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Whats the difference in the class that Sal is in (ITE) compared to this one?
NASA has a power to weight formula with point modifiers depending on how your car is setup.
At my weight I could legally make more HP than I could afford.`

(SCCA) ITE is literally run whatchya brung. Basically No rules...I like that. (Like American Iron Extreme)

Last edited:

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
This particular group (ProAutosports) and the class I choose to run in (GTO) is unlimited--anything goes. So that's why I'm chasing stock cars and Audis :)

Speaking of chasing Audis:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
This particular group (ProAutosports) and the class I choose to run in (GTO) is unlimited--anything goes. So that's why I'm chasing stock cars and Audis :)

Ahh...you were ST2 last I checked.
Yeah, I'm running against GT1 and SP stock cars as well....I'm 1000# heavier and half the horsepower but we still manage to embarrass them with an old mustang and a junk yard motor. Cortex racing for the win!

The lines you take vs the audi are interesting. You are way smoother.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

I watched the first 5 minutes and I absolutely love it. I'm going to go home and enjoy this on my 82" big screen .

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
What a Hoot! Nice enjoyable, friendly track. I Like that the top speeds are not crazy fast and has lots of great corners.
Yeah, it's one of my favorites here in AZ. Typically a members-only track, we get to run there twice a year. I always look forward to the racing as well as the cookouts and partying away from home :)
Ahh...you were ST2 last I checked.
Yeah, I'm running against GT1 and SP stock cars as well....I'm 1000# heavier and half the horsepower but we still manage to embarrass them with an old mustang and a junk yard motor. Cortex racing for the win!
Yeah. I need to run my "low power" tune to run ST2 with slicks; cuts it down to 447whp from 465 (both peak hp, not average). And yes--I'm in the same boat most of the time--underpowered and significantly heavier--but having the best hardware you can buy for Mustang suspension makes a big difference.
The lines you take vs the audi are interesting. You are way smoother.
Some of the time he is on his own, different line, some of the time he is defending the corner to make sure I don't stick my nose in. Both are to my advantage as I can use a more optimal line to keep up with him.
I watched the first 5 minutes and I absolutely love it. I'm going to go home and enjoy this on my 82" big screen .
YESSSSSS

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
@Fabman here's the last one for your 82" TV

Unfortunately a series of events where we were scrambling to diagnose a no-start issue with the car led to the Cardinal Sin of Racing--forgetting to latch the hood pins, so my hood obliterated my windshield and flew off the car during qualifying (and I immediately retired, never got a time, so I started the race 11th overall, at the back of the Big Bore cars). They were OK to let me run without the hood and the smashed glass. SOMEHOW the hood was basically undamaged and I just need to replace the OEM hinges and I'll be all-set again. Optic Armor inbound for the windshield after many years hemming and hawing over front Lexan...live and learn :)

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Thanks!!! Now I feel better about running out of gas on the last lap!! Shiznet happnes!!! I wonder what the R8 was thinking when he saw you behind him with your entrails in the air.

Did the car handle and differently without the hood?

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
@Fabman here's the last one for your 82" TV

Unfortunately a series of events where we were scrambling to diagnose a no-start issue with the car led to the Cardinal Sin of Racing--forgetting to latch the hood pins, so my hood obliterated my windshield and flew off the car during qualifying (and I immediately retired, never got a time, so I started the race 11th overall, at the back of the Big Bore cars). They were OK to let me run without the hood and the smashed glass. SOMEHOW the hood was basically undamaged and I just need to replace the OEM hinges and I'll be all-set again. Optic Armor inbound for the windshield after many years hemming and hawing over front Lexan...live and learn :)
Starting….NOW! (In 7 channel Surround sound)
This is gonna be good….

91446532-F28C-4696-952B-DF5E9FC01D71.jpeg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
What fun!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

I enjoyed many of your videos last night and subbed to your feed. I encourage others to do the same.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Thanks!!! Now I feel better about running out of gas on the last lap!! Shiznet happnes!!! I wonder what the R8 was thinking when he saw you behind him with your entrails in the air.

Did the car handle and differently without the hood?
No appreciable positive or negative difference in cooling or aero. Max speeds on this track around 135mph, on a big track like COTA or Daytona or Watkins it might make a difference.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
I guess I did it backwards…lol.
Reason was, my front end was horrible.
I fought that understeer for long enough (Brand X flexy flier front end parts) so I bought a Cortex SLA.
Now my front end works so good I can start adding traction to the rear...so I ordered a Cortex Cambered rear end. Probably won't make it in time for the season finale' at Thunderhill but it will be debuted in 2022 for sure.
Looking forward to that!

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Yeah. I need to run my "low power" tune to run ST2 with slicks; cuts it down to 447whp from 465 (both peak hp, not average). And yes--I'm in the same boat most of the time--underpowered and significantly heavier--but having the best hardware you can buy for Mustang suspension makes a big difference.
Curious how this works...the NASA calculator calls for average HP. I don't know anything about NASA rules and car classing but I am interested in hitting some events in 2022 if there is a class that I could be competitive in....
Feel free to reply via PM if you don't want to side track your thread any more.

TMO Supporting Vendors