The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss 302 Review in Wall Street Journal

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GA
The Mustang interior is a little improved over the previous years, but it is still not high-end. It is not supposed to be. I still think Ford should have based it on the GT premium or given you a choice.

"I'd then find a metal fabricator to make a beautiful, machine-turned aluminum dash inset to replace the shoddy trim piece that's there. That piece I would donate to a local rifle range."

He probably would have like an '08 Bullitt then. ;)

I think the article is well written and confirms the Boss to be what it was built to be: a high performance vehicle that equals or betters pretty much anything up to and including an M3 for a fraction of the cost. We must also remember the target price point: between the GT and GT500. The car does all of this and more. If you start adding more costly interior components, then all of a sudden you are pushing very close to the GT500 in price and well beyond what the average person might be willing to drop for a toy. Plus, you increase the weight.

One might argue (and several in this forum have) that FMC should open up the options for the Boss so you can build one with upgraded interior, sound system, glass roof etc. From a marketing standpoint that would make sense. But the car was not built with everyday driving in mind. It was build to honorably carry on the Boss 302 moniker by offering a fairly bare bones Mustang where every cent spent on high-end componentry went into the motor, drivetrain and chassis. The goal of this project was achieved in spades. The 2012 Boss is the ultimate performance Mustang - the best overall pony ever built. And because FMC didn't throw in a bunch of high end interior pieces, I actually can afford to own one - something Henry Ford set out to accomplish in the first place.

GA
jimprw said:
I think the article is well written and confirms the Boss to be what it was built to be: a high performance vehicle that equals or betters pretty much anything up to and including an M3 for a fraction of the cost. We must also remember the target price point: between the GT and GT500. The car does all of this and more. If you start adding more costly interior components, then all of a sudden you are pushing very close to the GT500 in price and well beyond what the average person might be willing to drop for a toy. Plus, you increase the weight.

One might argue (and several in this forum have) that FMC should open up the options for the Boss so you can build one with upgraded interior, sound system, glass roof etc. From a marketing standpoint that would make sense. But the car was not built with everyday driving in mind. It was build to honorably carry on the Boss 302 moniker by offering a fairly bare bones Mustang where every cent spent on high-end componentry went into the motor, drivetrain and chassis. The goal of this project was achieved in spades. The 2012 Boss is the ultimate performance Mustang - the best overall pony ever built. And because FMC didn't throw in a bunch of high end interior pieces, I actually can afford to own one - something Henry Ford set out to accomplish in the first place.

With GT500s now available at plan pricing, I expect more people on the fence about a Boss or GT500 to go for the latter.

With GT500s now available at plan pricing, I expect more people on the fence about a Boss or GT500 to go for the latter.
[/quote]

Some, maybe, but there will still be a price difference and the two cars are different animals and can appeal to different tastes: better balance and handling vs. better brute strength. From what I've seen the difference in actual acceleration is pretty small, and with trackey may get smaller yet. But someone who wants a modern throwback for mainly street use might very well opt for the Shelby -

jimprw said:
Some, maybe, but there will still be a price difference and the two cars are different animals and can appeal to different tastes: better balance and handling vs. better brute strength. From what I've seen the difference in actual acceleration is pretty small, and with trackey may get smaller yet. But someone who wants a modern throwback for mainly street use might very well opt for the Shelby -
I'm thinking with Trackey, the 0-60 acceleration difference may be greater in favor of the Boss. Boss already bests the GT500 by a whopping .1!!!! ;D

Seems more options are already available for new boss orders. If you go to the Ford web site and build a mustang, you can add 20 in chrome wheel package, side scoops, billet grilles and some other general stuff. Also, that build it app indicates you can get the recaro seats for $0 as an alternative selection to the cloth seats. If you want the torsen you still have to select the recaro/torsen package for $1995 as before, but free recaro seats for the base price is a heck of a deal if it actually works out that way.

Yeah, that option for Recaros was there when I ordered mine in April. I thought it was a freakin' typo. I thought about the Recaros/Torsen diff option but my other Boss didn't want me to track it so I didn't see the need to spend another 2k.

jimprw said:
I wanted a NA car that handles well and is fun to own and drive. I think the Boss will deliver in excess.

5 DOT 0 said:
jimprw said:
I wanted a NA car that handles well and is fun to own and drive. I think the Boss will deliver in excess.
Yep...I felt exactly the same way...and it does deliver...which you'll finally find out for yourself very soon! :)

I think the WSJ comments are valid...the line about boeing controls/breitling guages. It does have a basic interior but some of the best seats anywhere. That said, my Porsches also have grey plastic in the center stack and buttons labelled that don't actually do anything.
And for me, some of my favorite all time cars that I've owned have been stealthy...ie. most people can't tell a difference, just the gear heads. I say put the money to the performance, skip bluetooth and nav. My old Contour SVT was very satisfying and only a few people ever noticed. And my Trailblazer SS embarrased many a BMW.

I like the interior of this car.It's low keyed, functional and that all that's necessary for this car.No offense to the GT owner's but I was on the fence about buying a GT because of the interior and all the retro stuff.My mind was changed when I seen the low keyed Boss interior and a better performance package. I just think a persons car is an extension of their personality and the Boss is a pretty good match to mine, low keyed.

After seeing him on The Car Show and reading the first line of this article, I can only conclude that the author is a weenie. ::)

What bothers me about his writing, and lots of high-brow goober-smoochers do the same thing, is that he twice in that piece begins the second part of a sentence with "not to mention", then immediately mentions that which he stated would not be mentioned. I also write for a living, and have no formal post-secondary education, but this pretty boy has a masters degree in literature.

Now, to the meat of his topic, this new Boss is the only Mustang that has flung a craving upon me since I bought my 1973 Mach 1, and I will, hopefully soon, bring home a new Boss. Up until now, I have always wasted my money on guns and Harleys, but it appears that I will now be laying out about $44,000 plus taxes on a new Ford.

Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com

Jeff Quinn said:
What bothers me about his writing, and lots of high-brow goober-smoochers do the same thing, is that he twice in that piece begins the second part of a sentence with "not to mention", then immediately mentions that which he stated would not be mentioned. I also write for a living, and have no formal post-secondary education, but this pretty boy has a masters degree in literature.

Now, to the meat of his topic, this new Boss is the only Mustang that has flung a craving upon me since I bought my 1973 Mach 1, and I will, hopefully soon, bring home a new Boss. Up until now, I have always wasted my money on guns and Harleys, but it appears that I will now be laying out about $44,000 plus taxes on a new Ford.

Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com
Jeff, welcome to BMO and good luck on your Boss quest.

Jeff Quinn said:

Jeff Quinn
gunblast.com

Dittos, Jeff! You're gonna love that Boss.

Jeff Quinn said:

I'm your junior to some degree (and I build guns too), but you're right on. I was on the Ford site looking to buy a truck, happened upon the BOSS and decided I MUST have one. I haven't felt this way about a car since I (re)built a '69 Camaro in the late-eighties.

For those who love to drive and appreciate an authentic American badass street car, the BOSS is the best thing to come around since the late-60s/early 70s golden era of American muscle. If the stars align anything like they did after that period (and it seems they will with enviro-nazis, regulation and idiotic emission standars etc.) we might not see anything like it again for a LONG time - if ever.

The Camaro SS?, Charger or Challenger? Bleh. Not that those cars ever struck a chord with me to begin with, but if the BOSS is out-performing Porsches, Vettes and M3s, why on earth would any of those be worth even a Google search?

I have to 3rd that. I read the oiginal Car & Driver review on it (by a guy that started his career driving the original Boss). By the time I finished the article and read the specs, I knew I had to have one.

1400 miles later - so far it lived up to everything I thought it would be. It is a BLAST to drive - and more fun to drive than a 2010 GS Corvette at almost half the price! Nice job Ford.

TMO Supporting Vendors