The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss 302 Road Trip

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aarcox2013

New Boss In Town
What's the longest you've driven your Boss, where'd you go, and how many "smiles per mile" (compliments) did you receive?

I am heading to Ohio from Florida to visit family and plan on taking the car - for grins I plan on keeping a tally of "smiles per mile" on how many compliments I get on the car!

That sounds like a fun trip.

I haven't driven too far and the furthest I've driven from home is about 250 miles. That's to Laguna Seca and I've done it a few times and will do it again next weekend for the "Do The Screw In Your 302" event with Hooked On Driving. Hard to say how many smiles per mile but I'm usually smiling the whole time around the 2+ mile track. ;D

I'm either going to the Shelby Bash or Mustang 50th Anniversary event in Las Vegas next Spring. That will be close to 600 miles each way and should be a lot of fun. One of the routes I'm considering is driving down HWY 395 on the back side of the Sierras and cutting across Death Valley but that will be dependent on weather at the time.

last summer was Boston to the tail of the dragon in TN/NC. total trip was just over 3000 miles. amazing. i think my car had 300 miles at the start of this trip.

this summer we did the Cabot trail in Nova Scotia total trip was right around 2000 miles.

car just flipped 22,000 miles never a bad mile.

Purchased the car in Las Vegas. Drove to Phoenix and spent the winter there. Headed to Tooele, UT for Boss Track Attack in April then drove back to Seattle. About 2,000 miles total not including the miles put on while in Arizona.

I now have about 6,000 miles on the car and I smile every mile. :)

Fomoco302

Life is short. Live well!
Last summer couple months after purchase drove from Houston to Barber museum in Alabama then on to Talladega Hall of Fame museum. Forget the total mileage but I'm just about to turn 8,000 miles after 14 months of ownership. Haven't had a bad mile yet ! ;D

Jimmy Pribble said:
Austin,Texas to SLC, Utah for Boss Track Attack - 3183 total trip miles. Once in a lifetime experience. Impossible to calculate the smiles per mile, even if I was any good at math.

I also drove mine to the Track Attack, Denver to SLC, 1000+ miles round trip. Sure is a fun car to cruise through the mountains in.

Newport, RI to Seattle, WA with the return trip via Los Angeles, Phoenix, San Antonio, Memphis, Louisville, and Philadelphia. Total miles 7800 and a few more in and around town miles at each of the stops. All in one month.

Back in June of this year we took the hottie from our home is southern Wisconsin out to the Carlisle, PA all Ford National and back. 1,900 miles round trip. Smiles from ear to ear.

I would highly suggest looking into some sort of paint protection for the front end though. I went with the XPEL Utlimate clear film and would recommend this product to anyone. Just make sure you can find a competent installer.

I live in the DFW area. Purchased my Boss in Orlando (daughter is a 20 year employee). Fly/Drive. Drove back to DFW. Put 1700 miles on the car. Every mile was completely enjoyable.

Do you have a good radar detector? (Redline or Valentine)

Boss949 said:
Do you have a good radar detector? (Redline or Valentine)
Wish I did. Got caught in an Idaho speed trap in a quick 55 to 45 to 35mph 2 block transition into town. They were laying in wait on a side street and even admitted it was a speed trap when they wrote me up. :mad:

Cloverdale, CA to Semiahmoo, WA via Hwy 101 up Northern CA and Or Coast, through the Redwoods. Stopped in Vancouver WA to participate in Pacific Northwest Meet and Greet with about 45 other Mustangs. We did a drive to McClellan View Point after show, next day headed up to Canadian Border to Semiahmoo. All together the trip was just over 2000 miles. Boss performed perfectly every single mile.
I didn't baby car at all and averaged just under 22mpg. Left Cloverdale on August 8, 2013 with 1087 miles and was back home on 16th with 3030 miles. Used 1/3 of a quart of oil.
I learned that the stock springs are perfect with a wife and full trunk of baggage. We had a great time that we will always remember.
Edit: My Boss now qualifies for differential fluid change. I also held off on the first oil change before trip because of everything I read about the possibility of early oil changes causing engine ticking, I can say I did hear the ticking one time at idle during the trip but didn't worry about it and it went away. Next drive is to garage for first engine oil and differential fluid change.http://www.flickr.com/photos/100013332@N03/9508587201/ hanging with a few stands along the way, Boss is behind first Shelby

Birdusfastus said:
Cloverdale, CA to Semiahmoo, WA via Hwy 101 up Northern CA and Or Coast, through the Redwoods. Stopped in Vancouver WA to participate in Pacific Northwest Meet and Greet with about 45 other Shelby and other cool Mustangs. We did a drive to McClellan View Point after show, next day headed up to Canadian Border to Semiahmoo. All together the trip was just over 2000 miles. Boss performed perfectly every single mile.
I didn't baby car at all and averaged just under 22mpg. Left Cloverdale on August 8, 2013 with 1087 miles and was back home on 16th with 3030 miles. Used 1/3 of a quart of oil.
I learned that the stock springs are perfect with a wife and full trunk of baggage. We had a great time that we will always remember.
Sounds like a fun trip and welcome to BMO. Post up photos of your car when you get a chance. I'm in NorCal as well in Roseville.

ufnavy06

Some say he has a tattoo of his face on his face.
The first time I started it up was also the longest it went in a single trek, the drive home. Just about a tank of gas on the highway so 300ish miles.

NFSBOSS said:
Sounds like a fun trip and welcome to BMO. Post up photos of your car when you get a chance. I'm in NorCal as well in Roseville.
Thanks, will do. I have some pix posted in flicker, need to learn how to post them here.

Birdusfastus said:
Thanks, will do. I have some pix posted in flicker, need to learn how to post them here.
Check post #3 in the thread below.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=212.0

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=1913.msg87834#msg87834

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=2060.msg87894;topicseen#msg87894

TMO Supporting Vendors