The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss 302 shock settings at drag strip....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I actually set the rear to 1 and front to 5. Seemed to do well. Didn't really have time to experiment with other settings. Interested to hear comments as well.

That's what I did. Whether it's right or wrong I dunno. Lol.
I figured soft on the rear to improve wieght transfer off the launch.
Was just messing around with settings so dunno. Take it with a grain of salt.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Cobra700 said:
That's what I did. Whether it's right or wrong I dunno. Lol.
I figured soft on the rear to improve wieght transfer off the launch.
Was just messing around with settings so dunno. Take it with a grain of salt.

If it works, its a good idea.

I went the other direction, soft on the front and stiff on the rear. 1 F 5 R. This was a close to 90-10 fronts and 50-50 rears popular with drag racing.

I have very little drag racing experience. Best time with street tires was a 12.46.

I'm going to try going to our local track this weekend. I'll experiment going both direction on the shocks. I plan on running the car easy so this might not be the best testing to figure it out. More to follow......

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
JW Last said:
I'm going to try going to our local track this weekend. I'll experiment going both direction on the shocks. I plan on running the car easy so this might not be the best testing to figure it out. More to follow......

JW good luck with your track time.

What I noticed with my boss at the drags.

If I launched with the track key rev limiter it hit the tires hard and broke loose. If I launched by holding the same RPM manually I could hook better.
The stock radials launched better with lower pressures. 18 PSI was the lowest I tried. I did not notice an improvement below 24 PSI

Any time but the stock Pirelli hook better than the stock tires. Ditto NT-01s hooked better than stock.

If you have the Torsen differential, consider limiting drag launches. The worsen has proven to be a great road course differential but gives up easily at the drag strip. Broken Part kind of giving up.

Do you have a Torsen? With the kind of HP you're making the Torsen diff won't last long.

NFSBOSS said:
Do you have a Torsen? With the kind of HP you're making the Torsen diff won't last long.

Thanks. Ya, the Torsen. Upgrading to Eaton LS & Moser axles..............keeping the boost dialed down to about 6 lbs which equals about 600ish rwhp. I got no intention of abusing this car. I fully realize some of the drivetrain parts aren't made for what the TT Aluminator engine is capable of. 15 lbs of boost laid down about 920 rwhp...I'm thinking once on TV will be the only time it'll ever see that boost level. Thank goodness for electronic boost controllers. I have no intention of ever pressing "the shiney red button." ;)

TMSBOSS said:
JW good luck with your track time.

What I noticed with my boss at the drags.

If I launched with the track key rev limiter it hit the tires hard and broke loose. If I launched by holding the same RPM manually I could hook better.
The stock radials launched better with lower pressures. 18 PSI was the lowest I tried. I did not notice an improvement below 24 PSI

Any time but the stock Pirelli hook better than the stock tires. Ditto NT-01s hooked better than stock.

If you have the Torsen differential, consider limiting drag launches. The worsen has proven to be a great road course differential but gives up easily at the drag strip. Broken Part kind of giving up.

Thanks TMSBOSS. I don't plan on any clutch dumping launches, not real worried about 60' times. Moderate rpm drive it out of the hole then let the turbos do their thing. Right now this car just insanely spins the tires as the boost comes on which leads to a lot of short shifting on my part. Having a set of 19" MT drag radials mounted tonight....hopefully that will help some.

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
JW Last said:
Thanks TMSBOSS. I don't plan on any clutch dumping launches, not real worried about 60' times. Moderate rpm drive it out of the hole then let the turbos do their thing. Right now this car just insanely spins the tires as the boost comes on which leads to a lot of short shifting on my part. Having a set of 19" MT drag radials mounted tonight....hopefully that will help some.

Cool.

The drag radials will help traction a lot. They will also increase stress on the Torsen.

When I was doing the drag thing, I considered a complete axel from FRPP. Get the ratio I wanted and less than $2k. Then I stopped going to the drags. Just too crowded, spent all day for 5 runs was not fun.

Good luck with your turbo Boss.

TMSBOSS said:
Cool.

The drag radials will help traction a lot. They will also increase stress on the Torsen.

When I was doing the drag thing, I considered a complete axel from FRPP. Get the ratio I wanted and less than $2k. Then I stopped going to the drags. Just too crowded, spent all day for 5 runs was not fun.

Good luck with your turbo Boss.

Thanks TMSBOSS. Put the DRs on last night, quick trip out to test the traction......nite and day difference obviously. Car hooks solid now. Gonna do an Eaton limited slip too with the axles. Ya the track can be a drag (no pun intended). Wait in line for an hour, get to the front of the line then there's an oil down, wait another 45 minutes. I try to get there early, make 2 or 3 runs while the lanes are still empty, go home as the lines get longer.

TMO Supporting Vendors