The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss 302 Street Tire selection for stock suspension

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I am reluctantly starting a new thread on tire selection for my 12 Boss 302
I've read through so many pages of tire info that my brain is swimming...
The factory rubber is nearing the end of it's useful life.
Car is street driven only. I'd love to track it, but in 3 years of ownership, I haven't done it.
What's a good tire for spirited street use?
Wheels are HRE P45S
19 x 9 front
19 x 10 rear
Only suspension mods are Ford Racing rear lowering springs, adjustable panhard bar, and smaller bump stops.
I'm leaning toward stock size rubber as the stock Pirelli P-Zero's look great
front: 255/40/19
rear: 285/35/19
It appears that Bridgestone and Michelin are favored brands here.
Any advice on wider rubber or a particular tire is what I'm looking for.

Thanks,
Dave

In my opinion the best street tire that provides more than enough grip, will wear well, not be to noisy and perform well in the wet is the Michelin PS4S. If you are looking for a more budget friendly tire the Firehawk Indy 500 is a great tire for the money.

US
Love my contisports. Work well on track, in the rain, on the street, and on the track in the rain.
And reasonable price.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
Plus one + on the Contisports ....
Work well on track, in the rain, on the street, and on the track in the rain.
And reasonable price. ( notice how I cut and pasted Drlee50 ) :)

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
My first change of rubber I went with MT Street Comps and didn't like them cold. (255/40ZR19 - 285/35ZR19) I did track them for two days and they did good for my skill level at the tyme, but when I went with the bigger Apex wheels (19x11), I moved to the PS4S and liked them so much better and they're great on the street. Waiting in the wings are the RE71s.

domesticpower

Track Addict
NS
For a purely street tire, you won't find better value than Firestone Indy 500's. Don't know what price is like in the US, but up here in Canada, they are half the price. They perform better in the rain than the Michelin's, last longer, and have very close to the same amount of grip. Only 1 sec behind Michelin PSS on track.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel