The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss 302 @ Texas World Speedway

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Took the Boss the the track a couple of weeks ago. Did great. Just needs a little more front camber. Chasing a 250whp turbo miata on r comps and followed by a v8 swapped AE86 on r comps. I think the Boss did good bone stock. It def needs camber, sticky tires, and better pads to get full rewards. This was early on Saturday before I really got my lines together. We were heading for a predictive fast lap until we got bunched up by a Vette that blew a coolant line. Was stuck in 2:02 hell all weekend, looking for a 1:59 when I go back.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGs5YvO5-70[/youtube]

Cool. Did you do anything to prep your Boss for the track? Were there any other Boss 302's out there? Looks like the long straight away is pretty fast, what was your top speed?..

Very cool. Looks like a fast track. I know EXACTLY what you mean about the camber, pads and tires. I had the opportunity to drive a bone stock Laguna Seca for a session at my last track weekend. I ran four seconds slower in the Laguna Seca than I'd been running all weekend in my "regular Boss" with -1.7 degrees camber, DTC70/60 pads and Enkei PF01s with 285/35/18 fronts and 305/35/18 rears. Frankly, I don't think I'll do much else besides TracKey and the Tiger Racing hood.

Nice video! TWS is my "home" track, so I hope I will see you out there in the future.

5 DOT 0 said:
Looks like the long straight away is pretty fast, what was your top speed?..

Based on what I have seen in different cars (none perfectly applicable to the Boss), I'm guessing he saw 140 mph on the front straight. Something like that.

Jimmy

Yeah about 145 before I dropped in. I could have gone faster but it felt a little floaty. Might need to get a bigger splitter on there. Also, yes it was bone stock with T2R diff option. It was over heating the front tires after 1.5 laps and understeering like a pig unless I stayed in it with late apex's. Those stock pirelli tires even at 220tw are not liking the track, It showed massive block warping on the front and some in the rear, compared to say the Hankook RS3 they suck. It wasn't all the tires fault though as it needs some camber, I have eibach bolts on the way. The brakes were smoking like they were on fire after a few sessions so they need to be upgraded too, as TWS is fairly easy on brakes and better tires will just make it worse. Like cloud 9 said above. Great car but there is a ton left on the table that can be fixed faily cheap for track duty. Just some front camber would have gave me a second, tires 2-4, and brakes a little but a lot more at a harder brake track. What tires are you running cloud9 R6? I think I'll try to find some cheap GT500 wheels and throw some used Conti take offs on there.

5 DOT 0 said:
Do you have a link to the Eibach bolts you ordered? Have you ordered the brake cooling ducts yet?

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/item/EIB-581260K/Ford-Mustang-Eibach-Camber-Adjustment-Bolts

itrack said:
Yeah about 145 before I dropped in. I could have gone faster but it felt a little floaty. Might need to get a bigger splitter on there. Also, yes it was bone stock with T2R diff option. It was over heating the front tires after 1.5 laps and understeering like a pig unless I stayed in it with late apex's. Those stock pirelli tires even at 220tw are not liking the track, It showed massive block warping on the front and some in the rear, compared to say the Hankook RS3 they suck. It wasn't all the tires fault though as it needs some camber, I have eibach bolts on the way. The brakes were smoking like they were on fire after a few sessions so they need to be upgraded too, as TWS is fairly easy on brakes and better tires will just make it worse. Like cloud 9 said above. Great car but there is a ton left on the table that can be fixed faily cheap for track duty. Just some front camber would have gave me a second, tires 2-4, and brakes a little but a lot more at a harder brake track. What tires are you running cloud9 R6? I think I'll try to find some cheap GT500 wheels and throw some used Conti take offs on there.
I've finished off a set of R888s, ran some NT01s and Nitto 555RIIs on Enkei 18 x 10.5 (38mm offset) and 18 x 9.5 (35mm offset) PF01s. I have a set of 295/30/19 & 265/35/19 R6s mounted on 19 x 10 and 19 x 9 Laguna Seca wheels that I have yet to test out. The best performer so far were the 555RIIs (305/35/18 & 285/35/18) because of the available sizes. I had a nice stagger of 1.25" front to rear and a full 1" wider tire than the stock Pirellis all around. The 555RII rears are 26.5" tall which is much closer to the stock 26.9" tall Pirelli. The gearing and top speed limiter could be an issue with a lot of the 18" options coming in at around 25.3" tall. The Hoosier 295/30/19 is 26.1" tall for example.

The NT01s I ran were on 18 x 9.5 (45mm offset) Enkei PF01s. That's basically the same wheel as my GT500. YOU DO NOT WANT TO RUN A SQUARE SETUP on the Boss from my experience. The car will constantly want to snap oversteer. I never let it, but I was throttle driving every corner. Unless you swap you your rear bar to the GT bar (22mm I think) the car's setup will oversteer with that big rear bar. That's the one big difference I've noticed about this Mustang, it turns. Part of it is the additional camber I had versus stock though.

I'm not a big fan of the 555RIIs but they're OK. I do however really like that tire size on this car. Just looking at the stack of Hoosiers next to it, it's shorter by 1.5" total. I'll likely finish off this set of Nittos on Friday and have some sessions on the new R6s for comparison. I don't know how good the comparo will be given the Nittos are almost toast and the R6s are new, but if I run slower on the R6s we'll know the size is more important than the compound. I hope that doesn't happen though. I'd like to run the NT01s for cost, durability and performance, but there are no good combos for a staggered setup. If you find a good source for Conti takeoffs that will work in a staggered setup I'd be very interested in that option.

I have just been running the Nittos because of rainouts I haven't gotten two days in a row to compare. I am leaving tomorrow for 3 days at BIR. Barring rain again I will be running the Nittos Fri and the R6s Sat/Sun.

TMO Supporting Vendors