The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss 302 Track Key Available Again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

For that kind of money, I would hope that you at least get the original loopy idle and some power gains. If FORD was looking to really sell this item. They should make the tune so you would look no where for a safe tune. All they need to do is release the tune for off road use only.
Otherwise I just cant see this selling to anyone that has a car budget.
What are they going to charge to install it....

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
LOL.... I bought my 2012 Boss by internet from Chile.... The dealer "Forgot" to install the track key.... Said I should get the local rep to install it... and they said no way Jose...!! Oh well, after Kooks headers and xpipe it becomes a mute point any way, better off with a custom tune. I just make myself feel better by saying at least I will not be running lean.,.... o_O

The price includes:

The highly sought after BOSS TracKey calibration is BACK and with more features than ever before. Recently, an update to Ford software provided the inability to download TracKey at Ford dealerships. This kit comes with a Procal 2 calibration tool with the exclusive TracKey calibration and a performance air filter. Additionally-this tool offers the ability to modify tire size and gear ratio settings in the calibration.

TracKey is a 50 state legal aftermarket engine performance software upgrade for the 2012-2013 Boss 302 and Boss 302 Laguna Seca. It is not compatible with any other vehicle.

TracKey is an exclusive Ford Performance calibration that provides added functionality to 2012-13 Boss 302 owners. This calibration includes these exclusive features:

• Driver adjustable Launch Control, or "2-step engine speed limiting"
  • Driver adjustable Pit Lane Speed Control
  • Lopey idle

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
There will be many who did not get the original TK and willing to pay. Seems that the lack of availability created demand and they will line up to get it. Besides the filter, Procal Tool and the three listed exclusive features, I wonder what others changes may be in the new TK.

I will put that on my wish list. Even though I have TracKey, it would be nice to have the Tuner as a back up tune just in case something ever happens. I suspect the filter is the flat panel K&N (that I already have)? Am I understanding this correct it allows the owner to load TracKey and not required to do at a dealership?? And the tuner allows you to play with tire size and gear ratios (not that I plan to).

What would be extra special nice if they sold one for like 500 and if you had a previously purchased legal TK tune, punch in your original cert # and it enabled it as ok and you could reload if anything ever happened. But not to look a gift horse in the mouth - thank you Ford for recognizing the need and releasing this!

I will put that on my wish list. Even though I have TracKey, it would be nice to have the Tuner as a back up tune just in case something ever happens. I suspect the filter is the flat panel K&N (that I already have)? Am I understanding this correct it allows the owner to load TracKey and not required to do at a dealership?? And the tuner allows you to play with tire size and gear ratios (not that I plan to).

What would be extra special nice if they sold one for like 500 and if you had a previously purchased legal TK tune, punch in your original cert # and it enabled it as ok and you could reload if anything ever happened. But not to look a gift horse in the mouth - thank you Ford for recognizing the need and releasing this!

I don't think it will work until the dealer works his magic with the key/EPAS. But from then on the tuner part is nice just in case.
As I recall the early versions of track key had issues and ford was sending out new updates with the tuner so you could download your updates and letting you keep them.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Nice, I'll be interested in reading about comparisons of the Original v. New TK.

Also, (and separately) Dyno results of the new TK to see if any additional HP/TQ is gained.

But I think Rick called it correctly, same TK Tune as a new CARB Cert would be required and we all know what a process that would be.

Also interesting is the Ford Performance note that it is exclusive to the 2012/13 Boss 302 vehicles and not compatible with any other vehicles.

This reminds us that we do have a very special U-Code Boss 302 Ford Racing engine.

Very happy to see Ford Performance continued support (investment) in our Boss 302 vehicles.

302 Hi Pro

While it's not completely clear from the FPP write up on differences between the 'new' and original TK calibration, it sounds like the main impetus for TK being re-released (along with a Procal device) is that dealers can no longer support it. It should be noted that the ability to change tire diameter value was part of the original TK but you had to take your Boss to a dealer service dept. to have it done, vs. what sounds like the ability to DIY via the Procal. If true that's actually a very nice feature to have for anyone who runs different dia. rubber for different uses on their Boss.

Last edited:
So...my car does NOT have the TracKey.
What I think is cool about the Track Key is that you can swap tunes simply by using a different key.
My understanding is that there are way better tunes available.
If I could swap between the stock tune and an AED tune or similar, simply by changing keys, it would be worth the expense.
My question is this...can the TracKey be "married" to a tune other than the Ford tune?

-dave

GB218

TMO Addict
Can anyone clarify....

Is there a way to backup our current trackey tune?

Can our cars hold 3 tunes at one time? It was my understanding that only 2 tunes could be saved concurrently.

If we already have the trackey tune installed and activated, and we buy the new trackey/tuner and install the new tune over our existing one, do we still have to bring the car to the dealership to get the trackey linked to the new tune?

Thanks ~ GB218

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel