The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss 302 Track Key Available Again

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Can anyone clarify....

Is there a way to backup our current trackey tune?

Can our cars hold 3 tunes at one time? It was my understanding that only 2 tunes could be saved concurrently.

If we already have the trackey tune installed and activated, and we buy the new trackey/tuner and install the new tune over our existing one, do we still have to bring the car to the dealership to get the trackey linked to the new tune?

Thanks ~ GB218

I am betting the dealer has to do the key cutting and linking.

The way I understand it track key uses a different path than conventional tunes so you could overwrite the ford tune with a handheld but then track key will be gone until it's reloaded.

So you can have stock and track key or a handheld with 6 tunes including stock Ford (no red key, it only loads over stock)

Lots of reading available about those questions and why vendors did not want to tie their tunes to the red key in SVTP forums(the previous gen obviously)

As always YMMV

cholmes1

400lb Gorilla
Denver, CO
Can anyone clarify....

Is there a way to backup our current trackey tune?

Can our cars hold 3 tunes at one time? It was my understanding that only 2 tunes could be saved concurrently.

If we already have the trackey tune installed and activated, and we buy the new trackey/tuner and install the new tune over our existing one, do we still have to bring the car to the dealership to get the trackey linked to the new tune?

Thanks ~ GB218

In a word, no. The car can only hold two tunes and they both must be Ford. If you install an aftermarket tune then the tuning device is what will hold anything beyond what is currently running. Additionally, you will lose the ability to return to a dual OEM tune without paying for the recalibration.

Here is a link to a thread on the topic. Lund Racing was my contact: http://www.boss302forum.com/topic/19698-custom-tune/?p=323410#entry323410

Best,
Charles

So the question is....to TracKey or not to TracKey???
The TracKey tune and ProCal Tuner is $575. I assume that other tunes can be loaded via the ProCal tuner as well.
I can buy an SCT tuner preloaded with a couple of "performance" tunes for $399. That is full list price from their website. This also gives me the ability to load other performance tunes.
Is the TracKey tune really $175 cooler than the performance the SCT tunes offer?
Anybody here have experience with both?
-dave

cholmes1

400lb Gorilla
Denver, CO
Hi Dave,

I can only speak for my experience, but I have a 13' 302 LS completely stock w TracKey active and a friend with a 13' 302 w a Lund tune and the AirRaid intake.

Without question the 302 w Lund is faster than mine. They have done a great job and it has great driveability manners. That said, he has the 'wart' tuner in his drivers side vent and to me you lose some of the '302' factor by not having the two keys. Certainly the Lund or SCT has near limitless options if you are planning on modding the car, but if your staying stock it seems to be an easy choice.

Clearly I am biased, but watching the video above and seeing that two tunes may be possible down the road within each key I am happy I have the TracKey.

Last edited:
Yeah best case scenario would be being able to program your own aftermarket track key tune that was associated with a one of the keys. The performance of an arftermarket tune is going to be better. But I agree, you lose alittle of your 302 name sake not having the factory 302 track key tune and key. So decide what's more important to you.

For an LS I don't think I would ever touch aftermarket tunes, they are to rare and need to stay factory. For a regular Boss That story changes, they aren't that rare and these cars reallyyyy wake up with a nice set of bolt ons and a nice aftermarket tune. I'm a performance car guy first and foremost, and it's hard to say no to those performance gains. Plus it's fun.

Thanks for your replies. I really appreciate it.
Funny, 30 years ago, these decisions were easy - max performance.
Now I weigh the pros and cons... sheesh... almost like a grown up.

-dave

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

HP has broken the code that allows you to do stuff now and keep the keys if you have a willing code junkie.

Their website touches on it as well.

HP has broken the code that allows you to do stuff now and keep the keys if you have a willing code junkie.

Their website touches on it as well.

I would like more information on this Track Key tune, i have had the Red key tune since new, where did you have the tune done, I also live in the lower mainland B.C. proud owner of 2013 PW Boss 302. Any updates on this tune ?

I would like more information on this Track Key tune, i have had the Red key tune since new, where did you have the tune done, I also live in the lower mainland B.C. proud owner of 2013 PW Boss 302. Any updates on this tune ?

Not my car, I just found him when researching a couple years ago.

He's fairly active on YouTube, you may be able to connect with him that way.

I own a TrackKey GT, no changes until warranty is done!

I would not let the guy in the video near my car. I would find someone who is more experienced utilize this software to create a proper calibration. Anyone that would ask that you get some octane boost so he can then "tune" the car is not that well versed in how to go about creating a solid calibration for a car that will be driven on the street.....

Just my opinion.

TracKey install complete, but the weather has been crappy so I haven't had much opportunity to "test." I've put maybe 75 miles on the car...
So far, I don't really notice much difference in terms of overall driveability.

- dave

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

cholmes1

400lb Gorilla
Denver, CO
TracKey install complete, but the weather has been crappy so I haven't had much opportunity to "test." I've put maybe 75 miles on the car...
So far, I don't really notice much difference in terms of overall driveability.

- dave

Dave,

You will not notice much of anything during daily driving. You may notice the stronger engine braking, and once up to temperature, with the lopy idle you like we will have more backfires/pops on high rpm the exhilaration. Those are some my favorites in long tunnels. If you take the time to set launch control and some of the other features it is a fun option I have but really most are for track benefit. That said, I set my pit lane speed monitor for my subdivision (20mph) and that works well.

Enjoy

TMO Supporting Vendors