The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss 302 Track/Street Upgrade Path

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
All sounds good. But if I had a do over.... would go for something like the Cortex extreme grip kit. Coilovers are expensive but I think worth it. Beats taking out the konis later when you want more....and you will always want more!! For power the kooks long tubes are every bit as good as they say. But as all the older hands say...more time behind the wheel and good coaching is number one.

Good comments.

A couple of recommendations:

Brake pads must match the tire for effective and balanced performance. Go with 18s as stated.

Do CC plates, Konis, and springs together. You can order them already assembled from some vendors. The lower you go and tighter you want, the more additional items you'll need, such as UCA, LCA, PB, poly/spherical bearings, etc. I would definitely consider running stock suspension (with the tire/brake package) first. It's quite capable and educational. Tires and brakes make the biggest improvement in times.

Rollbar, harness, Hans, much sooner than later. If you're at the track, with unpredictable elements, do yourself a favor and don't worry about the minor cutting and drilling required.

gleek48

Tapatalk User
further said:
Good comments.

A couple of recommendations:

Brake pads must match the tire for effective and balanced performance. Go with 18s as stated.

Do CC plates, Konis, and springs together. You can order them already assembled from some vendors. The lower you go and tighter you want, the more additional items you'll need, such as UCA, LCA, PB, poly/spherical bearings, etc. I would definitely consider running stock suspension (with the tire/brake package) first. It's quite capable and educational. Tires and brakes make the biggest improvement in times.

Rollbar, harness, Hans, much sooner than later. If you're at the track, with unpredictable elements, do yourself a favor and don't worry about the minor cutting and drilling required.

Thanks everyone for the comments and keep them coming!

I think I am going to try it relatively stock for a bit and just get new 18 inch wheels/tires (Extreme or Max Performance), MGW Short Shifter and new brake pads/rotors/ss lines/brake cooling ducts (blowfish) and fluids.

Phase II will likely include 4 pt bolt in roll bar, harness bar, harnesses and suspension mods (not sure exactly what yet).

A couple of questions:

1) Thinking of going with the Apex EC-7 wheels or SVE Drifts in 18x10. Since I will not be making suspension mods at first, would these two tire combos keep the snap oversteer in check? Any preference with stock suspension?

Front: 275/35-18 | Tire Size Rear: 295/35-18 (Michelin Pilot Super Sports (new) or BFG Rivals)
or
Front: 275/40-18 | Tire Size Rear: 295/35-18
or
Another size?

This way, with suspension mods, I can use the same wheels to go square down the road.

2) Is a bolt in four-point roll bar ok for use with 6 point harnesses?

Thanks!

gleek48 said:
1) Thinking of going with the Apex EC-7 wheels or SVE Drifts in 18x10. Since I will not be making suspension mods at first, would these two tire combos keep the snap oversteer in check? Any preference with stock suspension?

Front: 275/35-18 | Tire Size Rear: 295/35-18 (Michelin Pilot Super Sports (new) or BFG Rivals)
or
or
Another size?

This way, with suspension mods, I can use the same wheels to go square down the road.

2) Is a bolt in four-point roll bar ok for use with 6 point harnesses?

Thanks!
For just track use I'd try the Rivals first and the sizes you have are fine.

A four-point roll bar like the Watson Racing works great with 6 point harnesses. If you haven't seen them check this our for sub belt mount.

https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=8192.0

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
I'm trying to get another couple people for a Watson group buy of the roll bar... Let me know if your interested near term.

gleek48

Tapatalk User
Phase 1 has started:

Ordered the Apex 18x10 ET 43 wheels in Anthracite for my CO/White Boss. These wheels are hub centric and do not require spacers. Looking at these tires now for a stock suspension (at first):

or

Ryan at Apex Race Parts was great to work with. Seem like a dedicated team at Apex who care about car enthusiasts. Ryan indicated that they are working on other Mustang fitments in 2015, including 19 inch wheels.

http://www.apexraceparts.com/apex-products/Mustang/18x10-ET43-APEX-EC-7-Mustang-Wheel.html#.VHkJo4tN1SU

Thanks NFSBoss for the referral and everyone for all the help!

One good option is to get a stiff front sway bar (as your first suspension mod) and go square. You'll be ok on the street with the sway bar. 295 BFG Rivals or 285 RS3s are perfect on 18 x 10s.

gleek48

Tapatalk User
OK, i am working with my shop to get everything installed and they are talking me going with a square setup with my Apex 18x10 ET 43 wheels. I just picked up a take off 18mm Ford GT convertible rear sway bar to facilitate this with my current stock suspension. The shop is also recommending a caster camber plate up front too.

I have searched the site and found some different reviews for the different tires.

If i go this route, what do you recommend for tires with the following assumptions (75% track use and used to drive to the track in a colder climate - Colorado)?

275/35-18:
Michelin Super Sports
BFG Rivals
Hankook RS3 V2

285/35-18
Michelin Super Sports
Hankook RS3 V2

Can't wait to get this project off the ground!

Thanks!

gleek48 said:
OK, i am working with my shop to get everything installed and they are talking me going with a square setup with my Apex 18x10 ET 43 wheels. I just picked up a take off 18mm Ford GT convertible rear sway bar to facilitate this with my current stock suspension.

I have searched the site and found some different reviews for the different tires.

If i go this route, what do you recommend for tires with the following assumptions (75% track use and used to drive to the track in a colder climate - Colorado)?

275/35-18:
Michelin Super Sports
BFG Rivals
Hankook RS3 V2

285/35-18
Michelin Super Sports
Hankook RS3 V2

Can't wait to get this project off the ground!

Thanks!
I suggest the BFG Rival in the 295 width. They may not be available at the moment but they should be shortly.

gleek48

Tapatalk User
NFSBOSS said:
I suggest the BFG Rival in the 295 width. They may not be available at the moment but they should be shortly.

Would these be too wide for the stock suspension (with the 18mm rear Sway and new caster camber plates) and the wheels I am using?

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
When you say cold, I think the Super Sports would work best. How cold will you be running them? I don't really like the older R-S3s when it's 40s or low 50s. Not sure if the V2s are better.

I have a set of rivals, but haven't run them yet.

gleek48

Tapatalk User
Grant 302 said:
When you say cold, I think the Super Sports would work best. How cold will you be running them? I don't really like the older R-S3s when it's 40s or low 50s. Not sure if the V2s are better.

I think the lowest temps would be high 40's and probably in the 50's. I do not like the way any Max/Extreme performance tires feel in colder temps than that.

Grant 302

twistedneck said:
Max performance summer tires will be like ice at those temps.

I wouldn't say *that*. You do have to be smart about taking the time to warm up the tires. On a short track like Streets in the upper 40s I've used up to 2 laps to com up to reasonable grip levels on the R-S3s.

gleek48

Tapatalk User
On the track, under normal temps, how does the RS3 compare with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports?

gleek48 said:
On the track, under normal temps, how does the RS3 compare with the Michelin Pilot Super Sports?
I've run both on track and while I think the RS3 has slightly more grip I like the PSS better. It communicates better and releases smoother at the limits. While I don't drive my car in the rain if you expect to drive in the wet the PSS are supposed to be significantly better.

Grant 302

gleek48 said:

In the dry/hot R-S3 is slightly better all around. Definitely better for forward grip. PSS last much longer even if over-driven some. Lateral grip is closer, but R-S3 is still better. As Rick notes, the PSS 'communicate' better and are easier to control. PSS can feel a bit greasy when HOT. PSS are dual compound and the outer block is softer than the rest of its tread...and has a much softer sidewall. Both of which explain the differences in feel and grip between the two.

In cold and or wet PSS are way better all around IMO, and start to grip with little or less warm up.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel