The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss 302 verse gt500 power decision

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ok with this new camaro zl-whatever and the gt500 both haveing a ton of power compared to the Boss I am thinking of adding some power to the boss to keep from looking at those cars. I find myself going online looking at the gt500 and it kills me to think really the only reason is POWER ;D Not sure if I could ever be satisfied. So what to do, thinking of a supercharger or maybe another way to get an extra 150hp? Any ideas that are practical and dependable?

TT ;D

well...

here is my plan. call me crazy but its what i do to my non every day toys i buy for a specific reason.

this car is made for turning. going fast and turning. hence the rpm ability ect..

im looking at a new shortblock.
13 to 1 compression.
a decent rod capable of the rpm
forged crank and piston obviously
taking the already ported head and going through it with things i know and learned since i have ported heads before....lol
(and before i hear the arguement about nothing to be gained i will raise the bs flag. there has never been a cnc ported head holding and record. they migt have been cnc ported but they have all been gone over by hand afterwards...)
long tube headers.
catless x pipe
a cobra jet intake also. i have heard rumor that they are better

a set of custom cams capable of making power to say the 9k rpm area...
dialed in i can see this thing making close to 575 or more at the wheel

then the car goes on a diet.

hopes this helps and confuses...lol

steve

i have a lobe that is available for these motors i can post up, but i cant seem to get it to post.
if some one can do that ill email it to them....

if any one wants to see whats out there right now

Damn I was just thinking of adding on a supercharger or maybe nos. I will say though the heads being cnc ported they are also finished by hand I am more then sure since cnc does not do everything. The bottom of the boss is forged but from what I have read it can handle 8200 rpm thats it.

i have heard stock motors running out to 8600...but this thing still uses a pm rod.

and i do not know what the step over rate is for the factory cnc head. so how well its finished is unknown to me. i have not had a set in my hands yet. there a bit pricey still.
i would assume that its pretty decent looking stock.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
gremlinsteve said:
well...

here is my plan. call me crazy but its what i do to my non every day toys i buy for a specific reason.

this car is made for turning. going fast and turning. hence the rpm ability ect..

13 to 1 compression.
taking the already ported head and going through it with things i know and learned since i have ported heads before....lol
(and before i hear the arguement about nothing to be gained i will raise the bs flag. there has never been a cnc ported head holding and record. they migt have been cnc ported but they have all been gone over by hand afterwards...)
long tube headers.
catless x pipe

steve
shouldnt be impossible
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdcOqkpKmug&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

thr ya go...

im sure more is gonna come. always does.

think about a 3200 pound to 3300 pound car running at track day. making 575 on motor. that would make me smile.

the gt500 in my opinion would be a drag car...

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I am thinking about a KB 3.6L

here is a 2.8l kb boss
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wu8_380WJeM[/youtube]

3.6L boss article
http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/mmfp_1112_boss_302_kenne_bell_supercharger_install/index.html

also like the TT from hellion
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_R-XEyWHsp4&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Dvendet

Everyone's entitled to my opinion. ;)
Jeep,

This performance package is also available as a kit.

see:

http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/hpe650-boss-302.html

I guess now that you got this clutch issue worked out I see you want to move onto bigger and better things??? ;)

MMD

well....not trying to start bad mouthing shops and such...but my lead salesman now works as there lead salesman. i used to build the motors for hennessy also...about the only thing i have good to say about them is that they made up a decent looking and running car in the venom gt...other than that...ill keep my mouth shut.

although the venom gt will set you back 900k

gremlinsteve said:
well...

13 to 1 compression.
long tube headers.
catless x pipe

steve

You might want a new ECU, Ford has stated the stock one is not good for much more rpm than the stock limit.

Also don't take this the wrong way, but if you are going to do all that, why buy a Boss instead of a GT? Or even a V6 for cheapo since changing the block even. Seems like you are just going to throw away all the Boss bits other than the heads, so could have saved money by getting GT and buying the heads. Yeah suspension too, but the kits aren't that expensive and you didn't say if it is for track or street and GT is plenty capable on street. And if you say yeah but then it wouldn't be a Boss... I totally understand ;D

gremlinsteve said:
well....not trying to start bad mouthing shops and such...but my lead salesman now works as there lead salesman. i used to build the motors for hennessy also...about the only thing i have good to say about them is that they made up a decent looking and running car in the venom gt...other than that...ill keep my mouth shut.

although the venom gt will set you back 900k

I have never seen and Hennessy tested by a magazine that made it through the test without breaking down. That is pretty much all I know about them.

i know ...no offense taken btw. i have that little devil on my shoulder saying do this..and on the other one is the voice of reason saying you bought this car so you would not need to do that..

i do like the idea of a re-cam and long tubes. just because i think its nice to say its making 500 rwhp...

There will always be someone out there who is putting down more HP. The numbers are getting ridiculous. The bottom line is the boss was meant to be a track carver and not a quarter mile brute. It does a nice job with quarter mile shots, but that was never its main purpose. I wouldn't go and tinker too badly with it. There are other stangs out there that you can do that with. Just my .02. Then again it is your car and you can do whatever makes you happy!

gremlinsteve said:
i have heard stock motors running out to 8600...but this thing still uses a pm rod.

and i do not know what the step over rate is for the factory cnc head. so how well its finished is unknown to me. i have not had a set in my hands yet. there a bit pricey still.
i would assume that its pretty decent looking stock.

They have forged rods.

CaliMR said:
Ford said they are PM but are still the strongest rods they have used on a street car.

Hey The bos 302 has forged rotating assembly not pm not cast the bottom end is goof for just over 1000 hp then boom read up there are a ton of write up's on this one. this is the one thing I did do my homework on before buying this car

i understand that. pm forgings.
from what i heard. correct me if i am wrong.

id love to get my hands on a roadrunner...just for giggles tear it down and have a look see

TMO Supporting Vendors