The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss 302 verse gt500 power decision

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How did you like the procharger I am very serious of a supercharger but if I do end up doing it I will be going with the New Kennebell mamoth kit for sure. I do like the kit you have I just prefer the Kennebell and always have in the past. You are not putting that one on your car? How was it for heat? What was it putting out?

MA
IMO, these cars are Perfectly suited for a centri charger. The high rpm pull is unreal on these 5.0's with a centri. And low and mid range is already acceptable in NA form.

Like you, I sort of prefer the refinement factor of the PD blower, as the centri is loud at idle and part throttle. I just hate heat soak and trying to put 600 lb/ft of torque to the ground at 2500 rpm.

I had done tons of data logging on my 2011 with the D1SC. IATs downstream were about 10 degrees above ambient. After a full 1/4 mile pass I would see around 136 degrees. Thing was, the IATs would drop back to 10 degrees above ambient on the return road so you could hot lap the car and never experience heat soak issues, which correspondingly made it more fun on the street as it always had power at anytime.

I only dynod the car once, with a sloppy canned Procharger tune it made 555/480. That was through the auto trans with stock 3.15 gears.

I later worked closely with Ken B of Diablosport and he got the car literally flying. He remote tuned off of logs I'd send him. The car ripped with his tuning. I've had some hot rods and I'd say the butt dyne told me the street tune was around 620 range and the race gas tune was more likely around 660 range. All on 10 psi of boost. This car would have eaten my 2.9 Whipple GT500 I had. Especially on a hot summer day! Lol

I love PD blowers, big time as matter of fact, I just think the high revving nature of the 5.0 makes it a very good centri choice.

Good luck with whatever you choose! BTW, got my clutch line in and it is slot smoother now minus the assist spring. Good call!

MA
Loud in so much as it was high pitched, typical centri sound from the straight cut gears. Full throttle it was very quiet, almost couldn't tell it was there. Slight whoosh sound under WOT.

Wasn't too annoying, but you knew it was there that's for sure. I prefer the PD in terms of refinement as they are dead silent at idle, and produce a nice sound under boost. Just hate the heat soak.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
SVT1 said:
Loud in so much as it was high pitched, typical centri sound from the straight cut gears. Full throttle it was very quiet, almost couldn't tell it was there. Slight whoosh sound under WOT.

Wasn't too annoying, but you knew it was there that's for sure. I prefer the PD in terms of refinement as they are dead silent at idle, and produce a nice sound under boost. Just hate the heat soak.
the kenne bells are available liquid cooled that should help out.

MA
It does not change heat soak.

The liquid cooling is to keep the gearbox in the blower cool. Not to reduce heat soak. The earlier models were warping from heat, this distortion was causing the blower to essentially "seize up". That is why they instituted the liquid cooling.

I know...I thought the same thing when I saw they were introducing those a couple of years ago. Everyone thinks it makes the IAT cooler but it does not.

TMO Supporting Vendors