The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss 302 vs Camaro 1LE

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-news/comparison-chevrolet-camaro-1le-vs-ford-mustang-boss-302-ar132541.html

I don't think there's a single paragraph in that article that doesn't contain at least one factual error.

Here's the comment I posted, wonder if they'll just delete it:

Wow. I don't even know where to start.

The cosmetic differences between the Boss and GT go far beyond the few you listed. Different hood graphics, different rear diffuser, different wheels and tires, etc.

You mentioned that the Boss has no rear seat and an x-brace instead. This is only true of the Laguna Seca, not the regular Boss.

The Boss has a 3.73 rear, not a 3.71 like you claim. And there is no optional 3.31 gear on the Boss, that's only on the GT.

0-60 in the Boss is not 4.6 seconds. Motor Trend tested it at 3.97 seconds. And what are you basing your estimated 4.3 seconds for the 1LE on exactly?

"The Boss 302 includes very little handling improvement over the regular Mustang GT, sans its Brembo front rotors and calipers, 19-inch wheels, and adjustable front and rear shocks. The Mustang Boss 302 also includes the rather callous-feeling electronic power steering."

Are you kidding me? The Boss shares almost nothing suspension-wise with the GT. There are far more differences between the GT and Boss suspensions than the SS and 1LE.

"There are no official specs, but we can easily assume that it out-handles both the Mustang Boss 302 and the Camaro SS. Just like with the GT500, Ford seems more interested in making the Boss 302 fast in a straight line and only capable in the corners."

You probably need to do more research. The Boss 302 was designed specifically for road racing not drag racing.

I'm running out of space here, so I can't continue to list the further errors in the article.

Honestly, I don't think the article is fixable. You're better off deleting it and re-writing it from scratch, and this time actually do some research on the two cars first.

MA
I was under the impression that the 1LE diet officially exist yet?

I hope it is released soon, as all I can say about that car is "bring it."

SVT1 said:
I hope it is released soon, as all I can say about that car is "bring it."
+1. Now if it had received the Mag suspension it would be a much closer race.

After reading the "article" I posted up over there........

You said, "Staying true to the original 1LE package, Chevy did not mess with the engine any."

But the Chevy won that round?

The Boss engine on the other hand was built for the Boss......

Some of the Boss-specific parts contributing to the Boss 302 V8’s output and durability include:

• Revised composite intake system with shorter runners, inspired by Daytona Prototype racing engines, for high-rpm breathing

• Forged aluminum pistons and upgraded sinter-forged connecting rods for improved strength, needed for the higher combustion pressures and engine speeds

• New high-strength aluminum-alloy cylinder heads with fully CNC-machined ports and chambers for exceptional high-rpm airflow without sacrificing low-speed torque

• Lightened valvetrain components to provide excellent dynamic performance up to speeds well above the engine redline

• Sodium-filled exhaust valves for improved heat dissipation

• Race-specification crankshaft main and rod bearings for higher load capability and improved high-speed durability

• 5W50 full-synthetic oil with engine oil cooler for improved oil pressure and longer-lasting lubrication during extreme racing conditions

• Revised oil pan baffling for improved oil control under racing conditions and during cornering loads greater than 1.0 g

and more............

The 1LE may have more torque but also weights at least 200lbs more........the Boss also boasts a very flat torque output curve all the way through its 7,500 rpm redline.

This engine in it’s stock form is also raced in Grand Am at the Boss 302R and World Challenge at the Boss 302S where it in Paul Brown’s hands it won the title.

Do a little more research before you write.

One more thing; "The Mustang Boss 302 also includes the rather callous-feeling electronic power steering."

Really? Motor Trend related during the lightning Lap last year, "Electric power steering doesn’t dull the Boss’s road feel."

But I guess they drove the car.....

Yeah, I own a Boss. but the 1LE is cool and I can’t wait until I meet up with on Track........

Oh, before I go what did GM pay you to write this?

I agree on the power steering, it is the worst of any "sports" car I have ever driven. I don't count the Camaro or Challenger in that group after driving them, but that doesn't make the Boss's steering feel any better.

MA
Funny.

I actually like the Boss's steering. Its no BMW, but for a nose heavy car, I think it feels great, especially on the Sport setting.

Each to his own though.

I think the 1LE will be easy fodder for a Boss. IRS or not, the 1LE is simply underpowered and overweight. I'll be interested to see what it comes through with for brakes, but as I'm learning, most street brake setups are not adequate for serious track abuse anyway, so probably a non issue.

CaliMR said:
I agree on the power steering, it is the worst of any "sports" car I have ever driven. I don't count the Camaro or Challenger in that group after driving them, but that doesn't make the Boss's steering feel any better.

Do you mean it could be heavier/a little more communicative? For me it could just a smidge more communicative as long as the steering felt significantly heavier. The steering is LIGHT.

fduboss302 said:
CaliMR said:

Do you mean it could be heavier/a little more communicative? For me it could just a smidge more communicative as long as the steering felt significantly heavier. The steering is LIGHT.

Mostly more communicative would be the ticket, weight is a personal preference and I know people who like light steering even for track cars. Personally, I removed the power steering from my track car so I would be in the heavier steering camp but the numbness is the main issue. Especially at turn in though, the lack of feel is disconcerting even after getting used to it. Though I have not added the crash bolts to add camber yet so that may help a little, it has on other cars. Sometimes there are bushings you can change that help too, but I haven't looked into it for this car yet. A smaller steering wheel usually helps too but since it is my street car I don't want to lose the airbag. Going from a 380mm to 330mm wheel on the E30 made the steering come alive, removing the power steering mostly just made it heavier at low speeds.

Sesshomurai

That article reads like a 12 year old wrote it.

The splitter and spoiler are also not only good looking, but they are functional, according to Chevy.

It's as if they don't even know what a spoiler and splitter are - having to refer to Chevy to back up the claim that "they function".
Geez. What a joke....

Also, how can "Camaro" beat "Ford" in looks. It's subjective!!!!

TMO Supporting Vendors