The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss 302 vs SLP Chevrolet Camaro ZL585 vs Dodge Challenger SRT8 392

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don't know if you have seen this, not much of a "vs" but still cool to see the Boss!!

http://www.youtube.com/wathc?v=E9NUs7SIBey

Hope I posted this right, still new to the forum.

Watched it. Very cool! The video lacks a conclusion though but from how the cars look going through corners it seems the Boss has the most refined handling.

Definetly cool, you really don't get anything out of it though. No lap times, 0-60 nothing!

Nothing sounds more muscle than the Boss!!!

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
TheMarco said:
Watched it. Very cool! The video lacks a conclusion though but from how the cars look going through corners it seems the Boss has the most refined handling.

... or the guy driving it wasn't ham-fisted. Watch the end when all three are on the track. Oiy.

Also... were they driving in a sand pit? Man that course was dirty!

Two observations:

1. Note the race car driver was in the Boss....
2. The Boss was in the lead at the end of the video. ;D

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
idiots. the challenger is the saddest car of the three by a long shot. the camaro is better cause it has what an extra 25K in parts in it over the cost of the car? put that much money in the boss and we will see who's feelings get hurt. At the end of the day I would choose the boss or even just a GT over those other two.

boss2511 said:
idiots. the challenger is the saddest car of the three by a long shot. the camaro is better cause it has what an extra 25K in parts in it over the cost of the car? put that much money in the boss and we will see who's feelings get hurt. At the end of the day I would choose the boss or even just a GT over those other two.
By a long shot? Have you driven one?

Before I ordered my Boss I drove a Camaro SS, Challenger SRT8, three Mustang 5.0's and a Roush Stage 2. While the Mustang is clearly the sports car of the three and the Roush Stage 2 the closest to the Boss I was impressed with the Challenger. Considering what they started with and how large it is I thought it was well executed and had the highest fit and finish of the three. It would make an excellent boulevard cruiser. I was always going to buy a Mustang but I liked the Challenger. The sport seats are better than the Recaro's in the Boss and little things like mounting the battery in the trunk showed someone put a lot of time into the Challenger. Now the Camaro was another issue altogether and there wasn't much I liked about it. The Camaro interior was a non-starter for me.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I am biased , as we actually sell all three vehicles. Personal preferrence is definitely geared towards the Challenger and the Mustang. I just can't get into the interior on the Camaro, or the poor seats that GM seems to inherently build into their cars.

The Mustang and the Boss , to me, is the choice for road course , track days, etc. , but if I had to go cross country the Challenger has it hands down. Only one of the three that four can actually sit in, great road car and super seats with tons of trunk space. The Mustang also has a great trunk of course.
Two different cars, but both super fast compared to their predecessors , but in my mind they each have a slightly different mission.

Best long distance cruiser and most comfortable = Challenger
Best track car and most nimble = Mustang

Best car if you are 12 and want an overgrown transformer = Camaro.

I gotta disagree about the Challenger, there was not a single thing I liked about it. It is a tugboat, even more so than the Camaro. The Camaro drives like my parents' old 71 Torino wagon, the Challenger drives like someone put Caddy springs on my Tundra. Even just for cruising, they were both horrible. I did not even get around to checking out the interior as the test drive was that bad. And the battery in the trunk is probably a combination of the motor being so huge it was hard to fit, and marketing.

I am bias though, as my GF loves the Challenger and is a pain in my *** nagging me about how I should have gotten one. I do like the new Charger SuperBee for a cruiser but the interior is horrible and the seats are way too big and I never test drove it.

But I do come from the Euro and "ricer racer" scene so I like a taut feeling car, even just for cruising for groceries.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
We all have our opinions and in many cases no one is wrong. The suspension, steering inputs, and other items were changed on the 2011 Challenger and pushed hard it is an amazing big car. It is not catlike on it's feet like a Boss, but the SRT8 feels alot lighter when pushed than it appears. Actually can not remember in 4 years of anyone complaining about the ride.

If you like a more tossable car , then absolutely the Mustang is the better choice, but I will stand behind my assessment that they each hit a different market. I am a track rat, so it is obvious the choice for me, but when I have customers that essentially like straight line, cruising, or long trips it is a tough decision. Actually have one guy who runs high speed road events and he got the Challenger for it's top speed runs -- no governor which does kind of bug me about the Boss ( not that I would go that fast, just the fact that it seems to go against the image ).

If I was DDing the car and had kids, it would probably be a different story. But then I probably wouldn't be looking at the Camaro/Challenger anyways.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
if I never had a preference for any car. on a pure whats the fastest car of the bunch ss, boss, srt8 its so easy that a child can say the mustang is the winner. other than that it comes to I like x y or z cause I just like x y or z. if I wanted a land yatch I would go with the srt8 if I wanted something solely on looks alone and thinking it has 6.2L so it has to be better kinda mentality then yes a ss is the winner. now a smart man will choose the mustang all day long as its faster in a straight line. its the lightest and it out handles the other two. if you are choosing one of the other two its because you are biased to them cause you just like them for other reasons and not based on fact and hard numbers

TMO Supporting Vendors