The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss 302 with snow tires *video inside*

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

As you might know, I daily drive my Boss 302 all year around and I currently live in Detroit Metro Area. Here is a review of my winter setup.

Tires: Blizzaks WS80 235/50-18 (ice/snow tires)
Wheels: AMR 18X8 silver. $109 a piece!

Impressions:

The Boss feels like a Buick, comfortable and cushy due to the tall side walls.

The traction in sub 40 F° temperature is very good! Very predictable and the breakaway characteristic is very gradual and telling.
The snow traction is very confidence inspiring too.
I have about 150 Ibs in the trunk and the car is absolutely drivable as long as you mind the throttle and look ahead and be smooth.

http://youtu.be/47o7jfdy9Go

Nice video. Put the LS splitter on your Boss and you can plow your driveway!

I lived through a couple of *really* bad winters in the upper midwest in the early-80s with a 1977 T/A 6.6 4-speed Trans Am with bald tires. It was good throttle feathering and skid control training, but the car was eaten alive by the salt. I mean eaten. When I sold it a couple of years later, the rear quarters were literally about to fall off from rust.

I guess you aren't worried about rust?

coboss said:
I lived through a couple of *really* bad winters in the upper midwest in the early-80s with a 1977 T/A 6.6 4-speed Trans Am with bald tires. It was good throttle feathering and skid control training, but the car was eaten alive by the salt. I mean eaten. When I sold it a couple of years later, the rear quarters were literally about to fall off from rust.

I guess you aren't worried about rust?

3 points here:
1) I guess the current cars are made or at least coated with more rust resistent substances, I am not sure though.

2) I religiously wash the undercarriage and rinse the salt off.

3) My Boss will only see this winter as we are moving to southern California this summer.

Learned how to drive in the snow, December birthday. Back in the day 65 mustang and a 73 cougar snow tires, had more fun driving and drifting in the snow 76 and 77 winter WV. Back then they did not use salt as much as they do today. Would love to hit a parking lot again, except the issue of missing up one of the garage queens. At 16 I did not have a issue with the cars value.

JScheier

Too Hot for the Boss!
I may be an old-fart, but the first thing I thought of was "Man, I'd be hooning 24/7 if I had my Boss in the winter". I already hoon my duramax in the snowstorms here. That damn thing will hold a full-power driftard maneuver for a mile :)

TMO Supporting Vendors