The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Boss 302R Cam

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has anyone tried this cam yet? Or is it too complicated to install & program? I thought to make more power you have to get more air in the engine, so intake cam would be the one to change. Is the exhaust the bottleneck so that's why the 302R only changes the exhaust or is there an intake cam change that I am missing? Great Registry!

Hey Bulldog, welcome to BMO. I've seen a reference to a Boss 302R cam but the engine in the 302R is the same in the Boss 302, Boss 302 LS, and Boss 302S so I think it's just a mistake.

Thanks 5 DOT 0, Yeah when I go back & read it more it looks like an upgrade for the 5.0L also switching to the Boss 302 cyl heads.

2012 BOSS 302R EXHAUST CAM SETModel: M-6550-M50BR
Shipping Weight: 12.9lbs
Manufactured by: Ford Racing Parts
Price: $309.95 $246.00
Add to Cart: Details:
Original exhaust cams on 2012 Boss 302R engine
13mm lift and 263 duration vs. 11mm lift and 263 duration on base 5.0L engine
Compatible with M-6049-M50BR and M-6050-M50BR Boss 302 cylinder head.
Not compatible with base 2011- 2012 5.0L modular headProduct 4/52
Current Reviews: 0

Things have been moved around a bit. There are now two cams for the Boss.

M-6550-M50BINT*
Higher lift and longer duration for increased engine performance
13MM Lift/263° duration (stock 12MM/260° duration)

M-6550-M50BEXH*
13MM Lift/290° duration (stock 11MM/263° duration)

M-6550-M50BR*

PTRocks said:
Things have been moved around a bit. There are now two cams for the Boss.

M-6550-M50BINT*
13MM Lift/263° duration (stock 12MM/260° duration)

M-6550-M50BEXH*
13MM Lift/290° duration (stock 11MM/263° duration)

M-6550-M50BR*

Where did you get this info?

Anybody figure out what cams came in the 2012 street Boss? Ford has changed there web page about the Boss to say "The 444-horsepower* Hi-Po 302 4V Ti-VCT V8 engine features a "runner in the box" intake manifold and forged pistons, sodium valves, valve springs, new rods, oil cooler, and high-lift cams. This engine is capable of 7,500 rpm."

Before it use to say "Hi-Lift Exhaust Cams"

Mark???

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
The street car uses the "MBR" exhaust cam and the same intake cam as the Coyote.

None of the street cars have either of the two new cams shown above...this could get interesting. Although at $1500+ for a Cam Swap and tune, probably not going to be on my list anytime soon.

ArizonaGT said:
The street car uses the "MBR" exhaust cam and the same intake cam as the Coyote.

None of the street cars have either of the two new cams shown above...this could get interesting. Although at $1500+ for a Cam Swap and tune, probably not going to be on my list anytime soon.

going from 263 to 290 is a big jump. there will be lumpy idle without the trackey ;D

i'd like to see the power gains with both exhaust and intake cams upgrade... with more free flowing exhaust and intake boss can become a NA beast.

5 DOT 0 said:
ihatepotholess said:
i'd like to see the power gains with both exhaust and intake cams upgrade... with more free flowing exhaust and intake boss can become a NA beast.
I thought it already was a NA beast. ;D

That's a nice list of cars in your signature. How does your Boss compare to them?

over all it's superior than anything in my sig besides the Evo ix ;D

and you are 100% right, it already is a NA beast! loving every second that i spend in it.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
ihatepotholess said:
5 DOT 0 said:
ihatepotholess said:
I thought it already was a NA beast. ;D

That's a nice list of cars in your signature. How does your Boss compare to them?

over all it's superior than anything in my sig besides the Evo ix ;D

and you are 100% right, it already is a NA beast! loving every second that i spend in it.

The EVO had a better power/weight - how about handling ?

I asked Mark about the new cams and this was his replay.

M-6550-M50BR is the stock exhaust cam. The Boss intake cam is the same as the base 5.0L.

The M-6550-M50BINT is different than the stock cam and offers a few hp over the stock cam. The exhaust cam M-6550-M50BEXH is worth quite a bit of hp if you also add long tube headers.

Sounds like the exhaust cams and some long tube headers would be the best bang for the buck, but if your going to open her up, might as well put the intake cams in too. Something to think about when the warranty ends.

Okay(let the speculation begin) if American Muscle was able to make 60HP with CAI and LT headers and a tune, add the cams and you could be close to 90-100hp over stock. What do you guys think?

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/mmfp_1201_boss_intake_and_exhaust_install/index.html

BossJockey said:
I asked Mark about the new cams and this was his replay.

M-6550-M50BR is the stock exhaust cam. The Boss intake cam is the same as the base 5.0L.

The M-6550-M50BINT is different than the stock cam and offers a few hp over the stock cam. The exhaust cam M-6550-M50BEXH is worth quite a bit of hp if you also add long tube headers.

. Something to thank about when the warranty ends.

Yup thats what i'm thinking 2 years and 10 months to go.

TMO Supporting Vendors